Any watches clocks indicating the final time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 29, 2005
I am not sure if this is where this should go but i have a question regarding time. Has there ever been a clock // watch found with the time frozen in place.. I know that in the mysteries of titanic documentary they said they had found a clock on the one nightstand and i was curious if they have ever found anything stating what the final time was?

M

Matt Pereira

I believe a pocket watch was found on a body with the time frozen at 2:20 roughly. I also know in the Strause's room theres a mantel clock that was frozen also I personally haven't seen that footage.

I just checked my National Geographic Society Titanic Collector's Edition book I have. On the last page theres a picture of a pocket watch that says "Recovered from the body of a floating victim, a pocket watch hints at the timelessness of Titanic's tragedy." If you look at the picture it appears to be 1:50 am almost 1:51 am.

I thought it was 2:15 or 2:20 but looking back at the picture the hand at the bottom is actually the hour hand and the hour hand was pointed at the 9 min mark or one mark before 2 so it had to have been 1:50:50 on the time so almost 1:51 am.

Which in my opion I should check into because 1:51am doesn`t sound too right.

Aug 29, 2005
The footage you are refering too came from the last mysteries of the titanic show which i actually found on youtube last night !!
happy.gif
If you are interested i can post the link here it is also in the tv section
happy.gif

M

Matt Pereira

The last mysteries of the Titanic is that the one that you can buy from discovery channel or the one that Cameron did live from the ocean floor that Discovery channel doesnt offer on dvd?

If it is the live from the ocean floor bit then sure go ahead and post it I missed it since I dont have cable tv and I dont know when its being shown again to get my uncle to burn a dvd of it.

Oct 15, 2007
Correct me if I'm wrong!!! Didn't they find on Lillian Gertrud Asplund's father a pocket watch that was frozen in time? It was just recently auctioned off with other valuable items such as his ticket in his coat pocket. I've heard of them finding clocks and watches frozen in time?

M

Matt Pereira

Shannon, there has been. I heard of one that was frozen at 2:20 and theres a picture of one in the National Geographic collectors edition I have on the last page showing a pocket watch recovered from a Unnamed body that was stopped at either 1:49:50 or 1:50:50 basically frozen in time at seconds before 1:50 am or 1:51 am.

Bill Willard

Mar 24, 2001
There is a fabulous photograph of Thomas Brown's watch (the father of Edith Brown Haismann) that was recovered by RMST that is frozen at 11:05. The two theories I've heard about the time are 1) he wasn't using that watch, so the time had run down prior to the sinking or 2) he had already adjusted that particular watch to NY time, 3 hours behind. That might indicate that water hit the watch and stopped it at 2:05 ship time (11:05 NY time).

M

Matt Pereira

Thanks, I did do a search on youtube but the most I could find was just small clips I even put in "Last Mysteries of the Titanic 1 of" in the search and never found this.

M

Matt Pereira

Bill, It is possible he could have changed the time for New York time. I feel 2:05 sounds about right the one that doesnt sound right is the one in this picture that has apparently stopped at 1:49:50 or 1:50:50 am that was recovered from a body. I need to check but I dont think the boat deck went underwater at 1:50 am so how did that watch come to end up stopped at 1:50.

Bill Willard

Mar 24, 2001
I agree Matt. It seems most logical that the watch was moved ahead.

People were in the water thoughout the sinking. Some were jumping in early, some were washed off later. I need to look up the estimated time of the first funnel collapse, because there were a significant number of people already in the water beneath it.

M

Matt Pereira

Bill, I agree thats what I was thinking was to the #1 funnel collapse is when most likely this watch should have went into the water with its owner when the bridge went under. Then again for all we know the owner of that watch could have waded through water inside the Titanic that shorted out the watch before he got on deck.

Aug 29, 2005
I just find it fascinating that a watch could tell us the last time that titanic was seen above water in all her glory.. I am just into moments of time frozen forever.. don't know if that sounds weird to you all or not.

M

Matt Pereira

nope cause watches and clocks are just about the only thing we have for timelines. But the thing is though we do not know if those clocks ran for how long under water till they shorted out. I think those clocks would have shorted out instantly water hit them because I think those clocks used breaker point systems I mean after all breaker points werent new in the 50`s and they were used in automotive clocks.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>I just find it fascinating that a watch could tell us the last time that titanic was seen above water in all her glory.. <<

IF they were set to ship's time. That's the problem here. Not all of them were and there were parts of the ship which were flooded out earlier then the rest. Watches may be useful, but they're not the end of the story.

M

Matt Pereira

Michael, that is true, as in this one watch recovered from a body that has the watch frozen at 1:49:50 - 1:50:50 am. Just like the strauss`s clock I watched the last mysteries of the Titanic and they never got a close up of the clock but then again it wasnt of good quality

Aug 29, 2005
What other time could they have been set too if they were not set to ships time?

Off-Topic : Mike i have sent you a couple PM's not sure if you have gotten them or not?

Aug 29, 2005
Also in that thread they said that they had found a time on that clock so it makes me wonder if they got a close-up but never showed it on that video?

M

Matt Pereira

Joshua, clocks could have been set to New York Time or to the next time change. as the Titanic was sailing east to west her clocks would have to be adjusted due to the fact that she is changing location. Sorta like how if you are in the central time zone your time is say 11:40 pm, but in pacific time its 09:40 pm as an example.

Status
Not open for further replies.