Any young men on this forum

Michael H. Standart

Michael H. Standart

>>Michael is a great contributor and I miss some of his postings under 'other Ships' which have diminished recently.<<

I'm still covering the news, Ernie. I've just consolidated most of them in a very few threads as it makes it easier for anybody to pick and choose the headlines which are of interest to that particular member, and ignore anything that one doesn't care about.

Anything of special interest which justifies a seperate stand alone post I place in whatever pre-existing folder is most appropriate. (It's a lot easier then wading thruough up to 18 different threads.)

Jim Currie

Jim Currie

Never mind Humans! (I hope that's politically correct enough)

I'll just content myself with putting on a non-offending Documentary about the 1950's musical Guys & Dolls. It's called "Guys & Dolls and Guys & Guys Meet Dolls & Dolls Off The Record"

JC

T

Thomas E. Golembiewski

Yes, I always enjoyed bushel and a peck . . . but why would anyone want to hack into ET? . . . it's not as if this is a repository for thermo-nuclear formulae . . . most strange, I must say, most strange . . .

Michael H. Standart

Michael H. Standart

>>but why would anyone want to hack into ET?<<

Oh, the usual reasons: Petty jealousies and hatreds, ongoing fueds or some sort of axe to grind, but as often as not, a lot of people do this sort of thing because they know that they can.

It's not even personal.

A

Adam Went

Perhaps it was somebody from a rival maritime message board. ;-)

Cheers,
Adam.

Michael H. Standart

Michael H. Standart

>>It could of course be a child in adult disguise!<<

Or even a child. I wouldn't have the skillsets needed to pull off a stunt like this, but there are a lot of very computer savvy kids out there who could do this sort of damage without even trying hard.

E

Eloise Aston

Wowee! I've missed the wonderful twists and turns of ET threads.

I also can't help feeling there must be better places to hack (not that this isn't a great forum). But maybe it has some kind of geeky something-or-other which makes it more of a challenge. Or maybe because now it contains the answer to the question about life, the universe and everything: 42!

I just thought I'd reintroduce myself on this thread as a 'young' person (haha) - though not a man as far as I'm aware ;). I think last time I was on here I was 23; now I'm a ripe old 26 - but sadly some bits of my body have got hold of a time machine and think they're about 90 (not my knees, yet). Hello everyone.

M

Michael Kestner

Glad to have you!
Happy

Michael - Sadly, it doesn't take an incredible amount of computer know how to hack most forums, especially since, as I understand it, this board is running on fairly old software. There's plenty of programs out there that can do most of the work for you. We call people who use such programs "Script Kiddies". They don't have a whole lot of technical know-how, they just found a toy on the internet and cause hell with it!

Michael H. Standart

Michael H. Standart

>>...especially since, as I understand it, this board is running on fairly old software.<<

That, as I understand it is one of the reasons we're switching to something new. That and the new forum format and software is actually being supported. I like the skin of the Discus forum but it's more and more showing it's age and falling apart at the seams.

M

Michael Kestner

This skin is nice, but looks a little dated to my young eyes =P. It could use a little bit of a refresh. I already set up my account on the new board and I think it looks really good so far.