Anybody interested in RMS Olympic

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

Oakers

I am fascinated by the Olympic class liners, in particular the eldest of the trio "Olympic". I feel that she was one of the most attractive liners ever to be constructed (both internally and externally) - her exterior layout (windows etc) looked so much nicer than the Titanic & Britannic. Anybody got anything to share on the Olympic? I have only ever come across one book which is totally dedicated to her and one website. Olympic has never received the attention she deserves as "the pioneer ship", forever overshadowed by the plight of her sisters.

Here's an entertaining little caberet menu from Olympic, a Thanksgiving cruise- Nov. 25-28 1931
The cover has a sexy pirate lade holding a martini with "White Star Line" The menu is fabulous- Finnan Haddie to Sirloin of Beef and Galatine of Turkey-sandwiches galore and filleted "bloaters". The entertaiment features 8:30 dancing in the lounge, Talkies in the cinema, Dancing at 10:30 in the dining saloon and Cabaret at 11. Who's the stars you ask? Why it's The Brady Girls and their Collies, Miss Lili Demuth-acrobatic dancer, Mr. Quinlan- Irish Tenor, The 7 Kaufman Girls (novelty dancers), Eddie Michaels (eccentric dancer), Davis Sisters (ballet dancers), Clark and Morgan, Funsters Extraordinaire and the Monkey Shines. Sign me up!

That should read sexy pirate LADY on the cover (with cleavage!)-inside is a chef (not sexy) and a very suggestive drawing of just tuxedoed legs and high heeled feet, facing each other at close quarters- behind a placard-SHE's on her TOES. A 30's cutie is lounging on the top of the cabaret posting in a slit skirt with plenty o' gams showing right next to a White Star burgee- hmmmm those naughty 30's- where are my ankle straps and hip flask? Poo-poop-de-doo!

Superb sites for Olympic- was not aware of either. Forgot to mention music at the cabaret was provided by "The Princeton Pied Pipers" and the Olympic Ship's Orchestra- it must have been SWELL. No mention of the cruise destination- it may have been a 3 day Thanksgiving Cruise to nowhere thing. (nov. 25-28)

Inger Sheil

Shelley - Why not a sexy pirate lad(e)? I think there is a lamentable shortage of menus with sexy pirate lads out there.

I realize that there wasn't the same fascination with the loss of the Titanic in the thirties, but I can't help but lament that this beautiful ship and the sole survivor of "the big three" was scrapped rather than given a good home in a museum somewhere. Can you imagine how many crowds she would attract today. I wonder if there wasn't anyone who attempted a petition or such to save her. Surely there was a museum somewhere that would have been interested in her. Such a shame...

I agree that it would have been wonderful if Olympic was still here nowadays, but back then money was the main factor...

Olympic wasn't in a too good state(to say it nice:\) in her last year, and the collision with the Nantucket lightship certainly didn't help her.
Scrapping her would mean extra money for Cunard/White Star, no further (maintainence) costs and a lot of work for people on the scrapyard!
A ship of this size takes a while to scrap, as you can imagine.

Anyone with some more thoughts?

Regards,
Remco

Olympic's condition during her later years was much better than many think. After the 1931 hull repairs and engine repairs every single passenger certificate was issued for twelve months as far as I know at the moment.

Various examples include the oil fuel installation in 'excellent condition' (Board of Trade surveyor report, 1928), 'her hull was as sound as a bell' (Sea Breezes, 1956) 'her hull was in excellent condition when she was scrapped' (wording rough, 'Majesty at Sea: The Four Stackers,' 1981).

I forgot from my last post that the Board of Trade surveyor stated that after three voyages following the engine repairs of late 1932/early 1933, on the third voyage she ran at an easy average of seventy-six revolutions, acheiving an average of 21½ knots 'without the slighest trouble.'

It was noted seventy-eight was her most satisfactory speed regarding running pressures, etc.

It is therefore a myth that she could only do 20 knots by the 1930s due to tired machinery; if at 80 revolutions she seems still have been able to do 22½ - 23 knots.

In 1930, she averaged 22.5 knots for nearly five days, even on a 'normal' crossing.

Several times during the 1920s she did her crossings at an average of 23 knots.

Further, her Chief Engineer stated in late 1935 that the engines had never been performing better during the vessel's life and the Board of Trade surveyor stated in May 1934 that despite a complex and thorough examination he could not detect any flaw whatsoever or sign of movement with the engine bedplates or excessive vibration.

Status
Not open for further replies.