Anyone else facing the task of Rebuiling their Titanic book collection

Feb 14, 2011
A few months ago I sold off 98% of my rare Titanic books so as to finace a ticket and expenses to move to Australia to be with my girlfriend.

It was all done for love...well, alas, due to visa problems and some unforseeable big bumps, the relationship hasnt worked, and we have reluctantly broken up, but want to stay friends...

..so my girl and i will likely stay friends, but nothing more..i move back to the US next week....

Of the rare books I KEPT, I still have my Gracie, Beesley, Logan marshall,
Lightoller, Thayer, Filson Young, Titanic Commutators 1975-89,etc.....

I hocked my Shipbuilders, Shan Bullock, Alma White, Mowbray, Russel, Rostron, Baarslag, Ocean's greatest tragedy, Titanic Commutator issues from the years 1990-2000,etc......

I have no regrets though, I had a wonderful time here, and would do it again, and love Narelle very much.....

But alas, I will rebuild my collection..Ive built, sold and rebuilt my collection at least 3 times in my lifetime....

Down the road, if any of you come across any of these rare volumes, id be most interested!

Any of you ever have a vast Titanic collection,but lost it or nneded to sell key pieces off? Who else here is rebuiling their one vast Titanic collection?
Peace

tarn Stephanos

Melbourne Australia

soon to return to
Boston Massachusetts, USA

Nov 12, 2000
Hi Tarn,
sorry to hear things didn't work out down under. knowing you though and your unique talent for unearthing great book finds, I know you will have your collection back up to speed in no time! let me know if I can be of any help.

all the best, Michael (TheManInBlack) T

K

Kelly Beth Vogelsong

I know I'm just now starting to rebuild mine (just bought 5 the other day).

Mine is but a story of laziness, though. When I was preparing to move out of my last apartment, I was going through my storage unit and throwing some things out. I had box after box of books and didn't want to move them all again! Two boxes I thought were filled with romance novels (which my mother gave me and I don't read). Of course, it turned out that a bunch of my Titanic books were underneath those novels and got thrown in the dumpster.

I realized this later, of course. Had I known then, I would have jumped INTO the dumpster to get them out. Better yet, had I just looked through the entire box first, this never would have happened.

But I also had a lot of books on Jim Morrison and the Doors (which I love and also collect)...a portion of these were also tossed.

I think I've learned to be a little more patient now.

KB

Craig Sopin

Dec 3, 2000
Tarn-

So what are you selling to buy your ticket BACK? With what you have left I trust your eye is on Economy Class!

Craig

May 12, 2005
I wouldn't know anything about this subject!
happy.gif

Feb 14, 2011
Thanks everyone!

Hi Craig-
my plane ticket back to the US is bought and paid for..My selling days are over, at least till I build a stock of duplicate books, down the road think ill defer selling in favor of trading...
just need to recollect about 6 rare 1912 books...in about 5 years my collection wilkl be back to normal....

This has happened before..ive built, torn down, and rebuilt my collection a few times. I really have good luck at finiding rare volumes...

Thanks for the nice words Michael.. I may be seekng some help down the road to see if any dupes come your way...

Hi Kelly- i lost some books in a move too. I too collected Jim Morrison books- I was the main writer for the Doors Collectors Magazine

doors.com

I used to have 1st edition of Jim's "The Lords And the New Creatures", plus an original Morrison autograph...all lost....ah well....

But im not bellyaching..im glad I came down under....

The hunt is on for replacement copies for my sold Bulloch, Shipbuilders, Rostron, White and 'Oceans Greatest tragedy'...

Ive had at least 3 copies of the other titles at one point or another...
peace

wish me luck!

Tarn Stephanos

K

Kelly Beth Vogelsong

Tarn~

Wow! Checked the site. I'm impressed. How did you come about that (being the main writer for the magazine, that is)?

Hope you find the Titanic books you're looking for...soon.

L8r~

KB

Feb 14, 2011
I think my gem in my bookcase would be my Lightoller with the dust jacket, and a near mint Titanic by Filson Young. Thank heavens i still have those..
Im collect mainly pre 1955 Titanic books- im not too interested in aquiring modern Titanic books, unless they are about exploration of the wreck, or contain previously unpublsihed phtoos.....

Books ive sold this year and will eventulaly need to replace are

(1)The Olympic/Titanic souvenier edition of the shipbuilders. Ive had three over the years, now none..i know where i can get another. Mine was $2500, which seems the going rate...

(2)Oceans Greatest tragedy, 1912- pops up time to time, but mine was mint condition..i should have kept this one....

(3)Thomas Andrews Shipbuilder-by Shan Bullock, 1912- a very nice book, i bought my 1912 original for $25!!! I might be able to get this back, as the buyer is my best friend....

(4)Home frm The Sea by Arthur Rostron- mine was mint with original dj- im not concerned, copies are easy to find, though dust jacketed ones are rare......

(5)SOS To The Rescue by Karl Baarslag- mine was mint with dj- easy to find, but not so for ones with dust jackets....

as for the recent books- Maiden Voyage, Titanic and the Califirnian,etc, they always pop up on Ebay or bookfinder.com.....

The biggest chalenge will be to find the book Oceans Greatest Tragedy.....

Hi Kelly
There have been about 10 issues of the Doors Collectors magazine..i wrote in every issue, and in July 2001, was at Jim's grave in Paris...

email me at
titanictarn1968@yahoo.com if you want to talk about Jim Morrison and/or the Doors....
(or if anytone has any of these books im seeking)

peace

Tarn Stephanos

.."There will never be another one, like you
There will never be another one who can
do things you do, oh.." JDM

K

Kelly Beth Vogelsong

Hey Tarn~

Where can you order back issues of the magazine?
I still use a "flyer" for the magazine that I got with something else Morrison I bought...

Email sent...

L8r~

KB

W

Walter Karmazyn

Hi Tarn,

Be glad my budget couldn't handle everything you had to offer, or you'd be looking for more than you are now;-). I'm finally getting up to speed to do some more buying, after all this time. Looks like I'll be bidding against you on ebay again in the near future ;-). In the meantime, I'll keep your wish list in mind while browsing through the numerous used bookstores here in the Bay Area. How long are you going to be in LA? I have some downtime later in the month and, if it lines up, I could think of nothing better than to take a drive down and tour the Titanic exhibit with you, maybe dinner on the QM.

Walter

Feb 14, 2011
Hi Walter!
Im glad to know that you bought some of my rare books, as I know you are someone who will love them and treat them well (and not use them as drink coasters). If you ever snag duplicates of the ones you got from me (ie Oceans Greatest Tragedy); please let me know!
Actauuly im heading back to Boston, but will try to visit LA in the coming months...
peace

Tarn Stephanos

Mike Herbold

Feb 13, 2001
Tarn:
Drop me a line about when you'll be in the LA area. Would love the opportunity to share a beer and a meal with you, maybe aboard the Queen Mary. As a sidelight, I've got a few extras of the books on your hot list, although none are mint or with dustjackets. Do have my Commutators complete from 1975 to date, and most with supplements, with lots of dupes.

Feb 14, 2011
Thanks Mike! Hopefully I can make it out to LA, and tour the exhibit with you and Walter.....

Im back in Boston on Monday...4 more days..
peace

tarn Stephanos

Rob Ottmers

Feb 8, 2001
Tarn,

You better send those remaining works to me (for safekeeping, of course) lest they go next. :)

I've never actually stopped building my collection - rather it has gone through phases. Whether it be books, videos, postcards, photos, etc., I've been collecting them off and on - Oh Lord, 'tis a vicious cycle. Will it never end...

My latest acquisition, which I'm excitedly awaiting, the first 46 issues of the Commutator. Just what I needed to gel out that collection. Yayyyyy..

All my best,

Rob

Feb 14, 2011
I have good karma finding rare Titanic books..ive had at least 2 copies of every titanic book ive ever owned, at one time or another...

Though i want to get these titles back, i have no regrets about having had to sell these books as it what enabled me to go to Australia to be with a girl I thought id marry..had i never taken the risk, id never know what would have happened. It didnt work out in the end, and im back in the states now, but she and I are great friends and will always be as such..

.Ive no doubt in 10 years ill have all these titles back and more...If anyone has extras lying around, let me know! Thanks!

All my books were 1st editions and in very fine to near mint condition...

My wantlist for titanic books i had until I sold them off recently are:

(1) Souvenier edition of shipbuilder-olympic/titanic 1911

(2)An Unsinkable Titanic by J Bernard walker, 1912

(3)SS Titanic-Ocean's Greatest tragedy, 1912

(4)Tragic Story of The titanic by fredericks, 1912 (green cover); and promo dummy copy too...

(5)The Titanic Tragedy by Russel(hardcover and paperback) 1912

(6)Thomas andrews shipbuilder by Shan Bullock, 1912

(7) Home From the Sea by Arthur Rostron, 1940

(8)The Ismay Line by Wilton Oldham

(9)White Star by Roy Anderson

(10)The Titanic Commutator 1990-2000

(11) Les Objects Du titanic

(12)Titanic Tragedy-God speaking To the nations by Alma White, 1912
(this book came in many colors- i had brown,green,maroon,black and blue colored copies..)

Thanks!

Tarn Stephanos

Feb 14, 2011
Hi Rob..
the first 46 issues of the Commutator?

What years do they cover?

Good find!!!

I have the 1975-89 issues....

Get them leather bound!
They'd look nice indeed!

My 1985-89 issues are bound in blue leather..looks very nice...

the early Commutators from the 60s annoy me as they were individual pages stapled,
without a spine like a proper journal.

.i dont think they had proper folded spines till 73'

Daniel, i deleted you email by accident, email me again please,..
Thanks

tarn Stephanos

Rob Ottmers

Feb 8, 2001
Greetings Tarn,

From what the seller informed me the first issues start with the very first "newspaper like" Marconigram and go all the way up to 1975. Since my own collection already goes back to 1973 this should flesh out the collection and lead me to who knows where in collecting...

All my best,

Feb 14, 2011
wow...Good find Rob!
Think youll have them all bound, or leave them as is?

My 1985-89 issues are bound in blue leather, and embossed in gold 'The Titanic Commutator'.

Ill have my issues of TI's journal 'Voyage' bound in a similar way, albiet with a deep green leather.....

My favorite commutator issue was from around 1992, covering the Britannic-there were fold out then and now glimpses of the wreck. One of their best issues ever!...
regards

tarn Stephanos

Don Tweed

Mar 30, 2006
Well Tarn nothing ventured , nothing gained as they say!!!
Building, always building my own!
Go for it again.
As Betty and Wilma would say: "Charge it!!!"
Best reguards, Don