Anyone Else Feel Connected to a passenger

H

Heather Rhodes

Hello everyone! Not trying to be a dork =) but does anyone else have an unexplained fascination with a particular Titanic Passenger?

Mine is Rev. John Harper and his daughter Nan.

I'd love to hear about it!

~Heather~

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Being a retired sailor myself, (And one of the resident techies.) I've felt a bit more of a connection with the crew. Nobody in particular. It's just that a lot of them were people a lot like me who went about their business and attracted little or no attention while doing so...until things got "interesting". For all that they were poorly trained, they did the best they could.

Welcome aboard Heather.

Dennis Smith

Aug 24, 2002
Michael,
I agree with you mainly, but!!! I feel for the passengers to, they were innocent victims, they hadn`t got a clue what was going on around them, most of the crew did. I agree with every post that has been made, by yourself and other mariners that the requirement to keep panic to an absolute minimum was essential (knowing the number of boat places). But, can you put yourself in the situation where you are on the boat deck and everything in your world has suddenly gone to rat sh.t, also have all of the boats and you know you are going to die, I can`t.

Now here comes the crunch, as a mariner would you have felt quite the same, I doubt it. As a mariner, be it in your country, the U.S. Navy or the U.S. Merchantile Marine, or in my country the Royal Navy or the Merchant Navy, we have all signed up to the "JOB". The job can put all mariners in situations which no one could possibly forecast, but as mariners, we all accept it, may not like it, but we still do it because that is what we are there for.

A just for an instance scenario - The Derbyshire. I was in the South China sea at the time, I was getting regular RRR SOS from Nagasiki Radio telling all ships that the "Derbyshire" was missing, we were a long way from her last reported position, so we could not do much. We were caught up in the same Typhoon that sunk her and the weather was absolutely terrible,huge seas and violent winds, no sleep, horrendous rolls which many of the officers thought we would not recover from, nightmares about the ship sinking and how I would get out (In my dreams --- sorry nightmares). The point is that, 90% of the officers were feeling for the loss of the wives and families on the ship. Yes there was an awful sense of loss for the whole ship`s crew, but the biggest feeling was for non involved passengers-- the wives.

We as sea farers knowingly take a chance (don`t say we don`t because we all KNOW we do), so at the end of the day if the "chance" we take turns out to be a bad one then it`s our fault - not so the passengers.

I have been at sea nearly 20 years in all, I`ve had some lucky escapes and I`m thankful to be here to post this msg. I say luck, but I don`t think it`s down to luck alone, I believe that that the professionalism (that`s got be spelt wrong) and training of the modern seaman and officer will further reduce any fatalities at sea, as long as the IMO can reduce the flags of convenience - to my mind their standards are the cause of many of the recent marine disasters - Many of which the ordinary person may not hear about.

Sorry about waffle - got a bee in my bonnet.

best rgds + best wishes

Dennis

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
I've had a couple of close calls myself, (Unavoidable in any lengthy career at sea.) so I know where you're coming from.

I wish I could say that the flags of convenience are going to go away, but I wouldn't count on it. I've lost count of all the scrapheap refugees I've seen flying Liberian and Panamanian flags. Unfortunately, a U.S. or British flag is no gaurantee either. I've been reading about the loss of the Marine Electric in 1983 and it's stunning to read the list of problems that were overlooked by inspectors, even when the crew identified them by circling cracks, bad equipment, etc. with chalk. That ship should never have been allowed to put to sea.

You're spot on about the passengers too. The crew of the Titanic knew and understood what they were signing on for but the passengers were utterly clueless until it was entirely too late.

R

rebecca middleton

although i am only a student i feel really close to rose duwhitt butaker! as kate winslett says in the film i saw my life as i already lived it, (just me!)mayb she didnt feel this in real life but in some way i feel connected to her it also makes me feel sad about the helpless passengers of the Titanic because they couldn't be helped!!!

R

rebecca middleton

Her thoughts and feelings james cameron showed probably wasnt what the real rose duwhitt butaker but as in research i done on the web there was a real rose duwhitt butaker and she did board the Titanic. and such a great director james cameron is he would try and capture her real feelings back then!!!!

L

Leah E. Astor

Perhaps you were looking on a movie site? I myself have been there too, but you must understand, Rose Jack, Cal and even Lovejoy are very fictional. None of them existed by ANY real Titanic records. Sorry hun! But u must understand what I mean, right? Good luck! Sorry u had to hear that, it would really suck if the person I felt really close to was fictional. (I feel close to Leah Aks...If u check Mrs Astor's bio, she helped her by giving the baby a blanket...Se also has my name. lol)
Good luck! talk 2 u another time.
-Leah Astor

D

Debbie Alldred

Isn't it a shame when people can't understand the concept of FACT and FICTION (coughs.... Rebecca).

Leona Nolan

Dec 17, 2002
The person who I really have a fascination with is Thomas Andrews!!! Can't really explain it, just his whole involvement and character just draws me in!! I also share the same birthday as him so maybe that helps
happy.gif

A

Alicia Windsor

I have this thing about Jack Thayer. It's partly because we're the same age, partly because the bit about him growing up with his first drink of liquor described at the end of A Night to Remember just stuck with me. He also reminds me of my boyfriend in ways I can't define.

T

Tom Pappas

My father and his parents came over from Greece (in steerage) in 1913. I sometimes wonder how many of my Irish counterparts were never born because their fathers and grandparents sailed from Queenstown in 1912 instead of Athens a year later. I feel a certain affinity to all the immigrants aboard Titanic.

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
"The person who I really have a fascination with is Thomas Andrews!!! Can't really explain it, just his whole involvement and character just draws me in!! I also share the same birthday as him so maybe that helps"

Happy Birthday Leona! Hope you had a good one!
happy.gif

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

Don Tweed

Mar 30, 2006
I dream now and then of being on Titanic.
And every time I do I am below decks shoveling coal or working on engines or some other dirty job.
Not once have I been on deck as a passenger or officer.
Dream interperters, any ideas?
Best reguards, Don

E

emma skinner

i have a fascination with officer lowe and the allison family

Oct 14, 2003
I'm interested in most of the passengers. What gets me are the details about their characters. I read that Thomas Andrews spoke a lot about his wife and baby, that Chief Officer Wilde was mourning the loss of his wife, that Harold Lowe ran away from home, that James Moody lost his mother at a young age. I wonder how much these things affected their life and if they though about these things during or after the voyage.