Anyone Else Feel Connected to a passenger

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 1, 2004
Right as always, Jason. Thank you. It was Mr. Neshan Krekorian. Why do I keep getting him mixed up with Belos Kasperian? It was Mr. Krekorian who worked with Dad at McKinnon Industries (now part of General Motors) for a short time. Dad was 'the new guy' and Mr. K was retiring. Dad said that if he had known he would sire a Titanic fanatic, he would have asked Mr. Krekorian for his autograph. Anyway, it's my only degree of separation from a survivor - and yes, Jason, I did pay my respects to the right man's grave. (A good thing for the library I shelve the books in the right places, or do I?)

Senile or not, I remain
your humble and confused fellow member,

Jason D. Tiller

Aug 20, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
You're welcome, Marilyn. That's interesting about your father and Neshan Krekorian. One of these days, I hope to visit his grave, but I met his daughter at the first Titanic Artifact Exhibition here in Sept 1999.

I sent you an e-mail on another matter.

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

Jun 12, 2004
quote:

Rhoda Abbott

George, are you thinking of ROSA Abbott? She was in 3rd class and very well documented, or is Rhoda someone else?

As for me, several people for different reasons: Thomas Andrews (he was smart and had a conscience toward the welfare of all humans--not only rich, but all classes; very personable), Walter Hurst (he seemed to have a certain grit that gave him backbone, not to mention that he was a scot, like I am, lol), Lawrence Beesley (he seemed so level-headed. I imagined going back to that time and confiding in him regarding the unbelievable things that were to happen, and he would have likely listened), and Harry Widener (he loved books, as I do, and his collection is now a distinguished section featured at Harvard).

Oh, and we can't forget Mike Standard, the ol' rough-n-tumble ready for action at all times. Oh Wait! He wasn't aboard the Titanic. Aw darn! Well, I still admire him anyway, LOL.​

May 27, 2007
Yes Mark it throw me for a loop when I found out Rosa was in fact Rhoda. That's one of the reasons early Titanic researchers had such a hard time pinning her down and finding out what happened to her.

Actually if any one cares Rhoda is the Greek version of the Latin Rosa. So it's the same name. Yet it was wrong on the passenger list.

Jun 12, 2004
Okay. Thanks for letting me know. I didn't know that, and, George, you're right: it can be confusing. However, it wouldn't have been the first time that a Titanic passenger's name was misconstrued, so I am not surprised. Still, it's nice to know the facts. ;)

May 27, 2007
Mark-

That it is. Actually Rhoda Abbott was a connection to me as a kid to Titanic along with Jack Thayer. I still remember reading Rhoda's story in Her Name Titanic By Charles Pellegrino. When I first started reading posts I was upset that his facts in the book where widely unproven. Luckily for me there was Mr. Bracken's Article on Mrs. Abbott.

Jun 12, 2004
quote:

When I first started reading posts I was upset that his facts in the book where widely unproven.

When I arrived her back in the summer of 2004, I couldn't help but notice how many people criticized (slammed would be the word) Mr. Pellegrino's research and resulting books, claiming them more fantasy or imaginative than fact. I think one major claim I remember is that he likely made up most of his stories to create an engaging text and sell books rather than relay the truth. This, of course, I cannot confirm one way or another, only that, despite his fame, he wasn't very popular here.

In any case, it doesn't feel good when your "hero" has been debunked, does it?

Well, this site is the central authority on the Titanic on the Net (although some outsiders might disagree). People from all aspects of the Titanic world--researchers, authors, scientists, mariners, survivors and descendants of survivors, artists, producers, divers, actors--are or have been regular members here (Ken Marschall, as a matter of fact, who is also a member, responded to a post of mine one time. Talk about being touched by "royalty," hehe), so you'll fine plenty of insight here whether you're looking for it or not.

Anyway, I am glad that you found and confirmed further detail on Mrs. Abbott's life. For online Titanic research, this is the place to be. ;)

May 27, 2007
Here, Hear Mark.

With that I concur. I still read Pellegrino. He's a good writer. You had an answer from Ken Marschall. Say that is something to remember.
happy.gif

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>I still read Pellegrino.<<

Which is a good idea as the man is not afraid to think outside of the box and some of his ideas (The downblast theory for example) may well have more merit then we might have supposed a couple of years ago.

Yes, you have to be careful with his work, but don't be too surprised if he ends up having the last laugh on a few of his ideas. Fringe or not, if he turns out to be right on something, then he's right.

May 27, 2007
Michael,

Fancy that. I really never doubted his scientific work. The mans a top notch Scientist. It his historical information in his book that I hear most people have trouble with here and on other sites. I myself was lead down the garden path on a few things on what he had Passengers and Crew saying and doing during the sinking.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>I really never doubted his scientific work.<<

I do, but not quite for the reasons some may suppose. Science is all about careful research and testing with a healthy smidgen of doubt and skepticism thrown in because what you think you know now could be shown to be mistaken later.

In science...real science...all findings are considered as provisional and subject to revision or even refutation depending on what new evidence turns up.

Dr. Pelligrino I trust is well aware of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.