Anyone else having issues using ET?

Rob Lawes

Jun 13, 2012
England
I'm currently experiencing a number of issues with the site and was wondering if anyone else was having he same problems??

I frequently get messages saying that their has been no handshake with the host server. Lately when trying to access or post I just get a blank page with the word "Forbidden" in the top left corner.

This has happened on both my mobile and on my lap top. When using wifi and when not. When using mobile data and when on my own home network.

I've tried accessing through Firefox and Microsoft Edge.

I use Xenforo software based forums on several other sites and have absolutely no issues.

Anyone experiencing anything similar?

Julian Atkins

Sep 23, 2017
South Wales UK
Hi Rob,

Yes, definitely.

The "forbidden" thing keeps on coming up the last 2 days, and I had another issue a few days ago that I raised with Philip Hind.

I can circumvent the "forbidden" thing by opening a new window and doing a new search for this site. This usually works, but it can be very infuriating.

Cheers,
Julian

Nov 14, 2005
Same here. It seems to be random. My browser displays a problem with site security certificate. Then on reload gets the "forbidden" message.

Seumas

Mar 25, 2019
Glasgow, Scotland
It's been a nightmare trying to access this site in the last couple of days.

I'm also getting the "forbidden" messages and also ones saying they couldn't establish a connection.

May 3, 2005
I got the "forbidden" message for the first just now.
But I was able to get here by just typing in "encyclopedia Titanica" and then clicking on "message board" in the descriptive info.

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
I'm getting the "forbidden" message at irregular intervals, using Firefox. It's been going on for at least a couple of days. One minute ago I got it. After another try I got through.

While I'm having a moan, quite often when I go to a thread it displays the first message, instead of going to the last.

Mar 18, 2008
Germany
Had the same problem but now it is working.

But still the same problem with different threads for several months now. I can see that on some there are new postings but when going to these threads I can only see old postings.

Rob Lawes

Jun 13, 2012
England
Bizarrely, for the first time in months I got the weekly hot topics e-mail through today.

II hadn't changed any settings but suddenly stopped receiving it. Today I got one again.

AlexP

May 23, 2019
Usa
It is not better for me.
The error code is 225. You may want to try disabling Anti-DDoS protection of LSWS.

Rob Lawes

Jun 13, 2012
England
Please let me know if you are seeing any improvements at all.
Access to the site seems to be more stable now. I haven't had an access issue since late last night.

I have however experienced similar issues as reported by Ioannis. I can see for example in the "how the break up occurred" thread that Kyle posted a new post at around 02:00. If I click on the thread or, if I click on new posts, either way, the most recent post I can see in that thread is one from Jim C posted on the 18th of August.

Philip Hind

Staff member
Sep 1, 1996
England
I don't think there's anything I see as an admin that would make that different for me, but If that does not work for you let me know and I will see if there is some setting I can change.

Rob Lawes

Jun 13, 2012
England
Hi Phillip. Followed the path shown in the clip but no joy.

On the How the break up thread I even posted to see if that would carry me to the last post but that failed as well. I seem to be stuck on page 26.

Very strange.

Site access seems a lot more stable now though.

Seumas

Mar 25, 2019
Glasgow, Scotland
Hi Phillip. Followed the path shown in the clip but no joy.

On the How the break up thread I even posted to see if that would carry me to the last post but that failed as well. I seem to be stuck on page 26.

Very strange.

Site access seems a lot more stable now though.
A number of threads are doing that to me too. It's annoying.

What I do is to alter the number of the thread in the address bar. So if it's only displaying 26 pages - but I know there are more - then I change it to 30 and get the extra pages.