Anyone from Long Island NY

Debbie Mello

Apr 17, 2006
Hi.. is anyone from Long Island? I am in Suffolk County and was wondering if there was anything on the Island for Titanic enquirer's. I read that Molly Brown is buried somewhere on Long Island, but dont know where. Does anyone know?
Regards
Debbie Mello

Debbie Mello

Apr 17, 2006
thanks Michael for the info. I will have to see where the cemetary is.
Debbie Mello
thanks also for the book info as well

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Glad to help. If you keep an eye on the information side of ET, you'll find it's a gold mine of information. Just don't be too surprised if you find some gaping holes in the historical record. The people who traveled on the Titanic weren't interested in becoming famous. They just wanted to get to the other side of the ocean. Quite a few who survived were all too happy to fade away and try to forget the whole thing.

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
Hello, Debbie---

St. Brigid's---not St. Bridges---is a section of Holy Rood Cemetery in Westbury.

James Clinch Smith's family resided in Smithtown (and may even be responsible for the town's name).

To the best of my recollection, those are the only LI links to Titanic I've come across, but it's not inconceivable that some of the New Yorkers had second or summer homes there.

Jan 22, 2001
Debbie,

There is a memorial to Edith Evans at St. Ann's Episcopal Church in Sayville. She and her sister Lena spent their childhood summers there after her father's death at the home of their grandfather, Israel Corse.

Smithtown was founded by James Clinch Smith's ancestor, Richard Smith. There is a memorial to him at St. James Episcopal Church in St. James.

Marshall Drew's family was from Greenport, but I don't know if there is anything left there to see.

Albert A. Stewart had a summer home in St. James, and he was said to be a friend of Mayor William Gaynor of New York. The Stewart home is gone, but the mayor's home, Deepwells, is still standing, and is sometimes open for tours. It may interest you because he was mayor at the time the Titanic sank.