Anyone here read Titanic Ships Titanic Disasters

Sep 22, 2003
Coatesville, PA
Anyone here read Titanic Ships, Titanic Disasters? its mainly about titanic, though also a few chapters on the Olympic, Mauretania, Lusitania, and Britannic. two mistakes that i spotted are: The Imperator becoming the Majestic after WW1, and the NDL Europa winning blue riband from Mauretania.

Nov 12, 2000
Hi Jesse,
I have read this book, and I was very impressed with it. it is definitely a book for the rivetheads amongst us, however. it is a very technical look at the design, function, strengths and flaws of the shipbuilding techniques employed by the White Star and Cunard lines.

chapters cover details about the change from wrought iron to steel, the design of hulls, various types of propulsion machinery, even an extensive section on the various kinds of boilers. the technical specifications can get a bit daunting at times for someone without an engineering degree, though I thought that overall, the authors did a good job of bringing highly technical information down to a level a layman can understand.

as you say, there are a few blunders with the facts. one that I caught was the authors asserting that Murdoch spoke directly with Fleet when the lookout called the bridge with his iceberg warning. in fact it was Moody that Fleet talked to. but no book ever written has been completely without flaws, and this book has fewer than many.

all the best, Michael (TheManInBlack) T