Anyone here working on an ocean liner

Feb 14, 2011
What fascinates me about ET is how we are all Titanic buffs, yet come from every concievable occupation ...

Titanic is the thing that brings us together.....

A few of you, I believe, have already worked on the QM2, one of you having trained the crew...

Does anyone here work on any liners at this time?

Is there anyone here who hopes to work on an ocean liner?

One woman who postes here is a cruise director on a liner that often departs from Boston....

I have been wondering- Is it common for shipboard staff to have been passengers at one point, fallen in love with the ship, and thus inquired about shipboard positions while onboard a ship as a passenger?

Im seriously developing a keen interest in work for the cruise industry, Im trying to see where to look before I leap...

A chum who used to do slideshows on Canrnival liner has an assisant with him, and the assistant was offered a shipboard job before the cruise was over.

Are shipboard jobs sometimes offered to those on board ship before the job openings are lisited on the official websites?

Well, my friend, who has sailed QE2 over 30 times, told me 'who you know' is everything in that industry....

I worked on ships for years ablbiet in the form of the microscopic Boston Harbor ferry boats....
Thanks

Tarn

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
I was thinking in the same direction, Tarn. I live in South Florida where the cruise industry is huge and I've often thought about offering writing workshops for passengers "How to Write your Memoirs"), or being a babysitter or something. Anyone know how we can apply?

Kyrila

Erik Wood

Apr 10, 2001
Getting a job in the cruise industry is fairly easy, if you are willing to sign a 6 month contract. In most cases it depends purely on what it is you want to do. I would strongly suggest coing to: www.funships.com . Go to the employment section and nose your way around. There is lots of good information to be found.

Feb 14, 2011
Hi Erik
Seeing how you were a Master Mariner, I truly appreciate your advice..
BTW that website you posted still active?
It wont open for me..

thanks

Tarn Stephanos

Feb 14, 2011
One thing I do know is that if you have an expertise in a certain field, and have an interesting slideshow or narrative presentation, you can often sail as a guest on a ship...
(assuming the presentation is very good)

Im sure this month would be a great time for experts on the exploraton of Mars to do at sea presentations...
Lecturers are always in demand, anything to entertain the passengers...

Titanic has always been a very popular subject on shipboard lectures. So I would think shows on Titanic's life, death and exploration would be very well recieved...

Anything nautical would fare well, wheras lectures on the delights of accounting or bumblebee fornication patterns might not fare as well..

A good friend of mine has been doing a stellar Titanic show on the QE2 for years, an in exchange foir his lectures, hed sail for free.......

Not having a slideshow of my own, I may have to find another way to work on a ship......

I just wish when I worked the Titanic exhibits I had kept a good photographic record, as I could have created such into a slideshow lectures at sea... ..

I do have boat experience, albiet as a narrator and deck hand on some small inner Boston harbor ferries. although working on a boat the size of three 73' Oldsmobiles put together is a far cry from the QM2......

regards

tarn Stephanos

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
Tarn, sorry I didn't see your post. Well, I'm already doing a Titanic presentation where I display my stuff (not framed very nicely by cruise ship standards - can't afford to have them professionally framed,) and wear my costume and do my 30- minute script as Margaret Brown or Lutie Parrish or one of the other passengers. Do you think that would be acceptable?

Kyrila

A

Andrew Johnston

I plan on working on the Voyager of the Seas, or the Millenium.

(by the way, Celebrity and RC ARE only the best cruise lines out there.! ;))

Feb 14, 2011
Fellow ET member Jon Hollis has been doing a stellar titanic lecture for years- He's done scores of Titanic lectures on the QE2, and did his lecture on QE2 in early Jan on the New York to Los Angeles trek.
I have a hunch that landing a spot as a lecturer on a liner/cruise ship is like anything else- knowing a great deal, and knowing the right people....But in the end connections are everything..

regards

tarn stephanos