Anyone seen this pic before

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Guest (R17)

Just wondering if you thought it was more likely to be a one off, one of a very few or one of many/quite common ? I have seen pictures like and wonder if this one has appeared in a book. I love the photo's taken in the 1920's when all the Liners were together in Southampton or New York.
86646.jpg

B

Brian R Peterson

Hi Miles,

I have seen this photo before, it looks to be a photo postcard or a souvenier from NYC or Southampton. It is also likely that is has appeared in a book somewhere. As far as I can tell this photo is of the Mauretania and the Aquitania, with possibly the Olympic in the top left corner.

Best Regards,

Brian

Jan 21, 2003
I closely examined the picture and i could just barely make out what i believe 4 funnels so i think that the ship on the left is olympic. Also some on the stern area looks like the olympic's. Even though its severely blurry i can make out a few good details on the stern. I'm also thinking the ship behind olympic could be the City of New York or City of Paris cause of the funnels

A

Alex McLean

That photo is clearly of Olympic, Aquitania and Mauretania in Southampton's Ocean Dock. The American Line ship aft of Olympic will surely raise a few eyebrows, though.
And yes, the photo has been published in a book somewhere, but I can't say which one.
My best,
happy.gif

Alex

Wesley Burton

Apr 22, 2004
I have never seen it before. Aquitania and Mauretania are clearly visible. I had to take a close look to see Olympic.

G

Guest (R17)

Yes it is off all those ships and New York behind the Olympic. I have seen photos like this one before - like in the book Ocean Liners 1897 -1927. But so long as you are no confusing this picture with the few which are like this one, I'm sure your not and something tells me I have seen this photo in a book also. I know it's not OL 1890 - 1927
happy.gif

A

Alex McLean

Did you buy this card, Miles? If so, how much did you get it for? I was speaking to a friend of mine a while back who got a similar card (not that particular one) for an astronomical price.
My best,
happy.gif

Alex

G

Guest (R17)

No I did not buy it. I don't like to buy pictures that are not one off's
happy.gif
I don't think it went for much - maybe £35 something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.