Anything left of the bow of the Suevic

T

Tarn Stephanos

When the Suevic ran aground on some shoals she was dynamited free, and her bow was severed, leaving the bow abandoned to the elements. A new bow was made and launched in Belfast. Ive always wondered...is there any trace remaining of the stranded original bow- perhaps anchor chains or steel ribs?

Regards
Tarn Stephanos

J

Jason Atkin

Does anybody know what happened to the 100+ feet of Suevic's bow left on the rocks at 'The Lizard'? Was it ever salvaged? Were artifacts ever recovered from the area?

L

lewis beacham

Hi

My guess is that is that it was broken up on the rocks where she colided and sold as scrap metal.

I dont know for sure this is only a guess

from
Lewis

[Moderator's Note: This message, originally posted to a new thread under the "Other Ships and Shipwrecks" topic, has been moved to this pre-existing thread in the subtopic addressing the same ship. MAB]

M

Mark Baber

Staff member
In Falling Star, Eaton and Haas suggest (without expressly saying so) that the bow was left to be dismantled by the sea: "The 184 ft abandoned bow section lay forlornly on the rocks [after the stern was severed], visited only by seagulls." There's also a photo caption, for what that's worth, which reads: "Waves begin demolition of Suevic's abandoned bow."

R

Richard Edwards

Knowing what the weather can be like down there I can only imagine Suevic's bow lasted about 5 minutes!