April 2012 Na't Geo. cover story!

Jun 10, 1999
Remakable images! Wow!...looks like the folks at National Geographic magazine have outdone themselves. After years of my hoping, a complete profile mosaic of the two wrecked sections is here, they are absolutely breathtaking! Also featured is a two-page image of the reciprocating engines still fitted to the stern. To my utmost surprize...an optical mosaic viewing the stern from the aft poopdeck, the portside wing screw is visible as with the rudder and upper remants of the docking bridge. I trust that you will be in awe with these images captured during the 2010.
The issue is more than I could ever have hoped for. I want to especially thank Bill Sauder, who is also acknowledged in the issue.

Michael Cundiff
NV, USA

Mar 16, 2012
Amston, CT, USA
I look forward to seeing this when this issue hits the newsstands. The stores around here, at least, still only have the March Natl Geo. National Geographic in the past has certainly done an outstanding job presenting Titanic images.

Mar 16, 2012
Amston, CT, USA
I have found an intriguing inconsistency between the photomosaic map of the debris field as presented by National Geographic online at Unseen Titanic - Interactive: The Crash Scene - Pictures, More From National Geographic Magazine and the sonic map of the debris field made available online last week at various sites in preparation for the History Channel presentation next month. In the Natl Geo map there is an item "5c" (near the two double bottom hull pieces northeast of the stern section) that is labeled as being an "as yet unidentified" part of the ship. In contrast, the sonic map material identifies this piece as being the superstructure deckhouse at the base of Funnel No. 3 (the sonic image of this debris item does provide details of structure not readily apparent on the Natl Geo visible light photography; the visual mosaics are lit from above, which washes out some of the vertical relief, while the sonic source was from a low enough angle so that verticality is emphasized, even though the images are of lower resolution).

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2011
Ok, did anyone happen to check out the National Geographic store? They're sellling a photo of the "Titanic" signed by Milvina Dean. Only problem is it's the Olympic and somebody realized the mistake and changed the name on the bow! That makes me so upset with such a reputable organization! At least some publications have indicated when a photo of the Olympic was used as a sort of "stand-in" for Titanic, but not in this case. Does this bother anyone else?!