April1415 2008

Jun 12, 2004
Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
I'd have to give it a look at a later time. Since I'm on dial up, it takes the lifetime of several universes to download.

Can't say as I'm surprised that 2cnd and 3rd class were ignored. Disappinted, but since that's been the way of it for the longest, not surprised.

Jun 12, 2004
quote:

Can't say as I'm surprised that 2nd and 3rd class were ignored. Disappointed, but since that's been the way of it for the longest, not surprised.
No. I guess they weren't important enough. That's the way of it in a world that measures and ranks importance of human beings by the amount of money and assets they have. When with the human race evolve?​

Matthew Farr

Apr 14, 2010
Lansing, Michigan, United States
Just watched these and i thought the were okay. One focused on Fredrick Fleet, one on Molly Brown, one on Millvena Dean and one on Violet Jessop. I too am disappointed that 2nd a and 3rd class were ignored yet again. Why couldn't they have done one on Olaus Abelseth or Lawrence Beesley?

Ben Lemmon

Oct 9, 2009
I thought Millvena Dean was 3rd class. I've heard her own accounts in the affirmative. However, except for Lawrence Beesley and Marshall Drew, there is relatively little regarding the 2nd class. That's the reason I chose that class as the central group of people in my story. It could be said that relatively little is said about the 3rd class, but they have been the center of controversy, debate, and literature for the past 95 years, at least since the end of the Senate hearings. You hear about the heroes from 1st class, the poor wretches from 3rd class, but hardly anything from 2nd class. It's something I noticed (and have tried to add to its rectification) when I was in 6th grade. Granted, I didn't have such a developed knowledge of the Titanic but I still noticed this.

Will C. White

Apr 18, 2007
Have not seen the stuff, but think it's interesting that they divided up crew and service staff. To my way of thinking, you're either crew or passenger (I guess you have to make some exception for the "Marconi Men"). In any event, God Bless Them, and all who have gone down to the sea and their ship, and never returned. WILL

Jun 12, 2004
Matt,

Or, even more profound: The Goodwyn Family. Heaven knows that those entire families lost deserve recognition. This family--perhaps the most famous--was one of many in 3C alone.

Ben Lemmon

Oct 9, 2009
I was just making sure. Maybe I misinterpreted this, but Matthew Farr stated that he was perturbed because 2nd and 3rd class were ignored again. However, he mentioned that one of the people mentioned in the video was Millvena Dean, who was 3rd class. So I just became confused. Jason, are those coordinates where the Titanic sank? I am pretty sure they are, but I want to be totally sure.

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
quote:

but Matthew Farr stated that he was perturbed because 2nd and 3rd class were ignored again. However, he mentioned that one of the people mentioned in the video was Millvena Dean, who was 3rd class.
That's right. What Matthew was getting at, was that the video doesn't focus on other passengers in 2nd and 3rd class, such as Olaus Abelseth or Lawrence Beesley, which he mentions in his post. They are just two of the many passengers in those classes that are sadly forgotten.

quote:

are those coordinates where the Titanic sank?
No. Those coordinates are in reference to where I live. Titanic's coordinates as to where she sank, was 41.44 N, 50.02 W. But, that differs as to where the wreck is located on the seabed, which is 41.44N, 49.57 W.​

Jun 12, 2004
Thanks for supplying the actual coordinates, Jason. I could only remember Boxhall's famous, albeit incorrect, coordinates: 41 46 N; 50 14 W.