Aquitania Grand staircase

Mar 3, 2010
I colored a sepia tinted photo of it.

aqu_int_01.jpg

Eric Longo

Aug 13, 2004
Hi Rocky,

Very nice indeed. It is refreshing to see the white areas reflect color - some tints I see have the white areas left untouched and it look incredibly unnatural. I hope you don't mind - I took a quick stab with that photo myself to show some color possibilities, a bit of selective focus, a bit of cleanup, added shadows, palm fronds and other small touches. I have not posted any tints in quite a while but this one looked a good candidate for a sleepless evening. I hope you like it. I wonder what Mark Chirnside will think - I have no ideas of the correct colors.

Best,
Eric

Feb 4, 2007
Denver, Colorado, United States
Rocky, your tinting is a wonderful start! Many folks really overdo it with coloring ~ thus, in addition to what Eric mentioned, ALSO making a tint look unnatural. However, your work doesn't do that. Keep up the good work!

Eric, your tinting of the painting (of Rome?) hanging in the staircase is positively yummy! The light hitting the palm fronds also appears more realistic.

Eric Longo

Aug 13, 2004
Hi Jason, Rocky and Russel,

thanks
happy.gif
I am glad you liked it. Jason, I also was pleased with the painting colors, particularly the blue and earth colors. Also, I was happy with the glass of the dome.

Best,
Eric

Eric Longo

Aug 13, 2004
"I know I'm not that good, but I'm only 14, and have only been doing this for about a year."

Hi Rocky,

nonsense. Your tint is among the most impressive I have seen here in a long while. You have a good understanding of color and restraint, and most importantly your work has a cohesion that reads as a single image, not a bunch of tinted objects. And for someone 14, it is amazing indeed! Keep up the good work!

Best,
Eric

Aidan Bowe

Aug 11, 2004
Wow!!! Fantastic work you guys! That really brings her back to life. You feel you could almost walk into that picture and down those stairs. It's when you see pictures like that that it makes you realise what we've lost....If that ship (amongst many others) had been around nowadays they would have a preservation order slapped on them, or at the very least the rooms would have been reassembled on shore.