Aquitania original poster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
I'm a new member in Atlanta in the USA. Wondering if anyone can provide information on the large Aquitania poster/print pictured here.

118834.jpg

I bought it approximately 45 years ago in an antique shop in Connecticut, about 2 hours from New York City. I was a teenager and talked my parents into buying it for me. It helped that my dad was an ocean liner lover.

The poster is framed in its original Cunard oak frame with a small brass plate that says CUNARD LINE. Framed size is 45 inches x 29 inches (114 cm x 74 cm). In an area appropriate for an artist signature is "G-T Inc."

Year produced? Pre WWI or post WWI?

Were Cunard posters like this one always used in a Cunard Frame? Would this have been a standard Cunard frame or one created for this poster?

Any information would be welcome. I've attached a photo. Had to take it at an angle due to reflections.
Thanks.
Bruce

I'm going to say pre-WW2, because she was repainted during the fight to avoid submarine detection. The old girl was ridden with rats and pretty worn out by the time she saw troop service. A fellow I knew in the 60's was a returning soldier on the "Aquitania". When she slipped into NY Harbor, all the GI's run to the portside to see the Statue of Liberty, in which they had some investment. Old girl started to heal over to port when teh Captain announced in a thick Scottish brogue, "Return to your stations laddies, or we'll ne'er see port!" True story.
The "Aquitania" was the last of the big four stackers, and she was unfit to return to service after trooping. The old girl was honorably retired and sent for breaking up in 1950.

Brent Holt

It looks to be pre-WWI since she does not have the smaller bridge that was built atop the original when it was discovered that a higher platform was needed to have a good view over the bow.

Brent

Another old question on the Aquitania to be answered.

To Answer the question's on this poster it is a Cunard Advertising piece that would have been in the Cunard Line Offices or larger travel agent office's.

I have a copy of this poster in smaller size. If I remember correctly Ken Shultz sold the original oil painting in his several years back.

This advertising image comes in several sizes and formats it was issued in 1914 to promote the new Aquitania.

The question of were this advertishment was used would be based on the type of image it is.

What is the image printed on?

1.) Linen Backed Paper
2.) Tin
3.) Canvas - Oilette type so looks like a real oil painting.

The Tin and Oilette versions were generally used in the Main Cunard Offices or a larger Travel Agency. The Paper version would have been in smaller agencies. (The more cash you generated for Cunard the better the adverting you got)

The fact that it is in an original frame is good but the next question would be what is the frame made out of? (Most Cunard Frames of this time period are made of a plain wood such as pine, etc. and varnished in a dark brown color. You didn't mention the plague - Common versions will just have a small brass plate that reads Cunard Line. Better versions will have more information on them such as the Ship Name, length and tonnage.

This image is fairly common as the Aquitania only made three commercial Voyages prior to World War I it seems that a lot of her adverting was taken down and placed in storage and forgotten about over the years as there are a lot of Aquitania Travel Agency Pieces that can be Purchased if you are looking.

Status
Not open for further replies.