Aquitania´s interiors in 1949

Fernando MG

Aug 8, 2018
Good afternoon!!
I´ve been interested on RMS Aquitania for many years, and especially the past few months. Because of her appareance, her long life, her interiors... I don´t know exactly why, but she is has become one of my favourite ships:D.
In particular, I´m really interested in her 1948-1949 civilian service to Halifax (her two last life years). All sources say Aquitania was an old and tired ship, and her more than 30 years of hard service were evident. As far as I know, during her 1948 refit, she was converted back again to passenger ship, but her interiors weren´t fully restored.
Does it mean that some rooms were left empty, as in wartime? Did her cabins recover their pre-war luxury? Is it true that some furniture was never re-installed?
I have tried to find answers to this, but there isn´t much info about it. Could anybody shed some light on that?
Thank you very much!!:)

Reactions: 1 user
Nov 14, 2005
This is from the link below..."The Aquitania was not refitted as a luxury liner, but she was returned to a sort of passenger service. Some of her luxurious furniture that had been taken off before the war was never put back on board, but instead placed in the former White Star vessel Britannic. From now on to an uncertain future, the Aquitania shipped emigrants between Southampton and Halifax".

Last edited:

Tim Aldrich

Jan 26, 2018
Wisconsin
I would suggest Mark Chirnside's book "RMS Aquitania The Ship Beautiful" might be a good source. If Mr. Chirnside wrote that book in the same manner as the two books of his I already have I would say his Aquitania book would answer your questions.

Reactions: 1 users
Nov 14, 2005
I read somewhere that the RMS Aquitania became a favorite of Halifax and was sort of adopted by her because of the War Brides and War Widows that she tranported there along with the other immigrants after WW2. I haven't read his book but wonder if he covers that. She was a beautiful ship but toward the end she was falling apart. She was orginally supposed to be scraped in 1940 but the war extended her another 10 years.

Les Streater

Aug 28, 2018
Epsom
I can highly recommend Mark Chirnside's book on her. Also, see if you can find a copy of my book - 'Aquitania – Cunard's Greatest Dream" which has a complete chapter on this period of her service, including some passengers' recollections and contemporary newspaper articles. See www.marpubs.com for sample pages etc

Nov 14, 2005
I can highly recommend Mark Chirnside's book on her. Also, see if you can find a copy of my book - 'Aquitania – Cunard's Greatest Dream" which has a complete chapter on this period of her service, including some passengers' recollections and contemporary newspaper articles. See www.marpubs.com for sample pages etc
Thanks for the recomendations. Right now one of my new years resolutions is no more books until I get thru some of the ones I have stacked up now. But will keep those in mind. For the other posts here this short video shows some her and you can tell during the war years she was starting to look pretty rough. But still a fine ship.