Archive through 1 January 2002

C

Cátia Lamy

Hy everyone!

I've been trying to find things about a TV-Show abotu the Titanic, where Katherine Zeta Jones, among with various great actors are part of the "movie".

It was shown in Portugal about 1 year ago or maybe more, in 2 episodes (?) because it tooke about 3hours of movie I guess. Anyway, I only know that this is a production of American Zoetrope, directed by Fred Fuchs and Jeff Kllemen and the name of the movie is 'Titanic' and this is the reason why it is so difficult to reach information about it. The searchmachines only show things about Cameron's Titanic!!!

Can anyone help me????
Really Thankfull for any help,
Katia, From Portugal

Dec 12, 1999
Hi Katia:
I believe that the movie you're referring to is "S.O.S. Titanic." It came out in 1996 or early 1997, and was one of the first movies to use computer graphics extensively in portraying the Titanic disaster. To my recollection, Ms. Jones is in the movie, along with Tim Curry (of "Rocky Horror Picture Show" fame). It's mostly about Jones and her rekindling of some old affair (but then the lover dies in the sinking). Additionally, a young man falls in love with a young third class women who has been assaulted by Curry, etc. It's practically all fictituous stuff, with the real story as a backdrop. I found it moderately entertaining.

Mike Herbold

Feb 13, 2001
Katia, Joe:

The "S.O.S. Titanic" video had David Janssen (Col. Astor), Cloris Leachman(Molly Brown), and Susan St. James in it. It's distributed by Questar. No year given, 109 minutes.

The one that Catherine Zeta Jones was in is simply called "Titanic." It had George C. Scott (Capt. Smith), Eva Marie Saint, and Marilu Henner. It's an American Zoetrope production, distributed by Evergreen Entertainment. 1996, 173 minutes.

I think I got them both at a Border's bookstore. One of these days when we get together, Joe, we'll fire up the popcorn and watch them both. They're not too bad.

Mike

Mike Herbold

Feb 13, 2001
Joe:

If you really want to get into trouble with your wife like I do, these and about 60-70 other Titanic videos are listed on Amazon.com

Mike

Dec 12, 1999
Thanks for the correction on the title, Mike. As I recall, this 1996 "Titanic" had a lot about the Allison's family, and the maid with the problematic background, in it. Also, there was a large Irish family that all drowned, sort of like the Goodwins. Speaking of spouses, the part I found really bizarre was Ms. Jones meeting her husband at the wharf where the Carpathia docked. During the voyage, she had sent him a wireless message to the effect that she was leaving him. But, Phillips and Bride were too busy sending distress messages later that day to get the Jones' message out. Then, the ship sank and her lover drowned. She forgot everything and went back to her husband and family. So, the sinking of the Titanic killed 1,526 people - - but saved a marriage! Who could have thought such a story up?

C

Cátia Lamy

HI!!!

One more time I just want to thank you all for helping me again! Thought I'll have to keep looking for a URL that corresponds to that movie. Anyway, you both found out wich movie was and, I have seen only 3 movies about the Titanic and some documents on Tv about it and I think that this one, with Catherine Zeta Jones is really better that Camerons Titanic concerning all the real stuff it has on it. We can learn much more about Titanic on this movie than with Cameron's movie.
Anyway,
Thanks a lot for the help!!!!

D

David Matthew Stewart (Titanicus)

Hey, I have the tape of that. It was made in '97, and its called, Simply, "Titanic". It was first aired as a mini-series on CBS, in '97. It was ok, and I do agree that the storyline was better than Cameron's movie...but the graphics are a bit...bad, and I found numerous errors in it.

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
The 1996 mini-series also emphasized some of the actual passengers, especially the Allisons. Apparently the film was what prompted the descendants of Alice Cleaver to make their claim that the Alice Cleaver on the Titanic was not the same person who was acquited of killing her son three years before.
The family was in contact with Don Lynch; however they did not show him the papers or other documents used to substantiate their claim.

My thought on the mini-series was that, while the storylines were more believable, the dialogue spoiled it. If the producers had made it less "serial-style", it would have been a better film. Also, George C. Scott was not the one who should have played Captain Smith.
Bernard Hill's Captain Smith (Cameron's film) was a more accurate portrayal.

R

rickg

could someone please name all movies that were made on the titanic up to date.
thank-you in advance
rick.g

J

Jose C. Rivera de Cosme

Hi-

The ones that I know are as follows:

Saved From the Titanic: 1912 (starring actual survivor silent screen actress Dorothy Gibson)
I don't think there is a copy anywhere. It burned when the studio had a fire, Eclair Studios, Fort Lee, NJ)

Atlantic: 1920's

Titanic:1950's (Barbara Stanwick)

Night to Remember: 1953?

S.O.S Titanic: 1970's?

Titanic: 1996(TV miniseries starring:Catherine Zeta Jones)

Titanic:1998 (Cameron's version)

No Greater Love: Book by Danielle Steele
Story about a Titanic survivor: Not too much about Titanic

If there are any more please let me know!

D

Daniel Rosenshine (Danielr)

I would just like to imbelish on some of the above messages particularly the above one.

From the 1997 movie, the Ketherine Zeta Jones one, why does everyone keep calling her Mrs Jones. Her "Titanic" name was Mrs. Paradine or Paratine something like that. I taped that movie from TV once in 1997. It had a fare bit cut out, because it was screened over the one night, starting at 7:30 pm and finishing somewhere around 12:00am. Obviously due to commercials. A young relative of mine needed to tape another show, and rubbed most of the movie off, infact only keeping the first 10 minutes. It screened again last year, over two nights. I forgot to tape it the second night, and thus only have the first half, till when the Titanic crashes.

As for the above movies mentioned:

May 14 1912- "Saved from the Titanic" starring Dorothy Gibson, adding authenticity to the movie by wearing the same clothes she did when she escaped the Titanic.

1929- "Atlantic" although not specifically about Titanic, it is evidently an extremely similar story.

1949- "Cavalcade" I don't know much about this movie at all. All I know is that a couple on deck of a ship, move away, to reveal the name "Titanic" on one of the life rings.

1953- "Titanic" the first proper actual Titanic movie made since 1912.

1957- "A night to remember" inspired by Walter Lord's book of the same title.

1979- "S.O.S Titanic" the first actual Titanic movie that I saw in color. I did not particularly like this one.

1981- "Raise the Titanic" based on Clive Cussler's book of the same title.

1996- "Titanic" with Catherine Zeta Jones.

1998- "Titanic" the famous James Cameron Titanic movie.

Don't forget though, that there was a mini series of "Upstairs downstairs" I don't know what year though. Also there were several documentaries and many other little informative 1 or 2 hour sections. Like Mike said, there would probably be about 60-70 different ones. But the above I mentioned are full movies, that are known to me.

Daniel.

B

Bryan C

That "S.O.S. Titanic was t.v. once about a year ago or something. I saw the end. From what I remember, wasn't THAT great, but for me, it's the fact it's Titanic that interests me. Also, David Warner (aka Spicer Lovejoy in Cameron's movie) played Laurence Beesley in SOS Titanic, who was...ahem..."Saved from the Titanic". I believe the movie was out in 1969.

D

Daniel Rosenshine (Danielr)

Actually the above movie is 1979. I even found a copy in a video store and checked what year it was made in. It is definitely 1979.

K

Kayla Leonard

I was wondering if anyone knew any facts about the real life incident about the Titanic.

I'm doing a report at school about the titanic and I'm comparing the Titanic movie and the real life incident.

So if anyone has some information, Please email me as soon as posible.

Thanks.

Thomas Ford

Jun 22, 2010
Hi everyone.
Does anyone know what the name of the song was that the band played right after capt Smith told them they "done themselves proudly"it sounded like a hymn but it wasn't nearer my god to thee.

C

Cátia Lamy

Hi!!

Just a little question...
The Dannielle Steel's No Greater Love is a movie where there's only about 20 minutes tops about the Titanic? I believe there was a family with 4 children that the parents were drowened. The oldest daughter ran the family's newspaper and toke care of her younger brothers. And then there are some problems with the youngest daugther and something like this. Is this the movie??

Thanks, Cátia Lamy

Aydan D Casey

Oct 1, 2005
Bernard Hill best Captain Smith ! Give me a break! In my opinion the choice of Hill was as demented as the choice of George C.Scott in that telemovie. I think you will find that the best Captain Smith was Laurence Naismith ( A Night to Remember), he was so similiar to the real Captain Smith , that Captain Smith`s daughter, Mel Russell-Cooke, who advised on the film is reported to have fainted because of his likeness.

In my opinion, Brian Aherne, Harry Andrews, George C.Scott & Bernard Hill, are mere insignficiants when compared to Laurence Naismith