Archive through 17 March 2002

Erik Wood

Apr 10, 2001
Recently while attending a swap meet I found a Titanic Movie staring Tim Curry and Mary Lu Hener. A movie that I have never heard of. The back of the movie showed a lifeboat with a man refusing to help a crewmen aboard. Any help as to this movie please let me know.

Erik

Sam Brannigan

Feb 24, 2007
Sounds a bit like "Titanic" (1998?) - a two part mini series starring Catherine Zeta Jones and George C Scott. Curry plays a thouroughly unlikeable crew member who gets whacked overboard after pulling a gun in boat no. 14.

He is stil trying to top the role of Frank 'n' Furter (impossible!).

It's a load of pants, as I described further in my "review" in the Titanic Movies/ Katherine Zeta Jones.. thread.

Regards

Sam

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
If it's got Marilu Henner, George C.Scott, Catherine Zeta-Jones and Tim Curry, then Sam's right. (Well, it did come out in '96). This was one of those made for T.V. things and it's only redeeming virtue is the eye appeal of C.Zeta-Jones.

Overall, a very forgettable flick!

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Erik Wood

Apr 10, 2001
That is what I figured. I don't remeber seeing George C Scotts name or Zeta Joneses. I will have to go back and see what I can find on it.

Erik

Apr 22, 2012
Hello,

I couldn't agree more with your opinions of the film. I hated it! I mean, judging by what the actors playing certain characters looked like, one has to ask whether or not they even looked at real photographs- of either the passengers and crew or the ship itself! Terrible! (Not to mention that rape scene in the shower, which was TOTALLY uncalled for!)

-B.W.

Nov 30, 2000
That miniseries was a platter of mouldy crackers!
Even worse than the '97 film (IMO). (GAG!) (CHOKE!)
Thank God I later saw Barry Pepper in "Saving Private Ryan" and Roger Rees in "The Crossing." I finally got to see the talents they had that couldn't shine in the miniseries because their characters were so poorly drawn (guess nobody took the time to research Ismay and Bride, hey?)
Funny thing, though: it was not until AFTER I saw SPR that I found out Pepper played Bride! Guess that miniseries was so forgettable I didn't get all the actors names! :)

Richard K.

Nigel Hampson

Jan 11, 2006
Thank God !!

I thought for a minute that I was the only person in the world, who thought this "Film" ((And I use the term loosely!!)) was the biggest pile of pants since piles of pants were created !!

I actually stopped counting the mistakes when I reached 27 !! YES 27 !!!
One of the worst glaring errors was the total lack of Thomas Andrews character - he just isnt there !! You have George C Scott as Capt Smith, doing all the spiel about how the ship will sink, to Ismay - no Tommy Andrews in sight !!!

If there is a lower award than the golden Turkey then this "Film" should win it for about the next 500 years !!

Nige

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
I totally agree that the film was a total turkey (with all due respect for the bird). As a writer, as well as Titanic researcher, I thought the only redeeming quality of the film was George C. Scott's line as Capt. Smith about "Had we struck the berg head on, only one compartment would have been flooded. Not only did you stop the engines, you reversed them! She would have turned more quickly the greater her forward motion. You have broken one of the cardinal rules of safety - never turn your broadside to danger!" It's the only Titanic movie that addresses that issue. I was impressed by it because I have a book written 8 years prior to the Titanic where a woman had a dream about a ship striking an iceberg and the captain ordering his crew to hit it head on at full steam. The ship quivered with the shock of impact, but no lives were lost. Considering it was written in 1904, I was captured by the thought that Titanic could have survived a head-on impact.

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
Another thing that galled me about the movie was the pre-publicity. Marilu Henner had the audacity to say their movie was just as good as Cameron's with a considerably smaller budget. THis coming from a woman who obviously had no clue whom she was portraying. The WORST acting I ever saw! The writers had good intentions in trying to portray the real drama of the real passengers, but the Tim Curry character and subsequent rape scene were absolutely disgusting! Send him back to the RKO tower!

Erik Wood

Apr 10, 2001
Holy Molly,

Who knew that this movies was hated so much. I ma glad that I didn't spend the money on it. However now I am intrigued. I may have to see if I can rent it just to see what all the hub is about. I am a fan of Tim Curry but ONLY in a comical sense. Like Clue and Muppet Treasure Island. I would like to George C Scott play Captain Smith. Where the ship interiors anything close to Camerons. I thought Cameron did a good job.

Erik

Apr 22, 2012
Hello Erik,

I came across the movie while searching for ANTR at the local Blockbuster. It was the only thing they had other than the Cameron film, and so I rented it. I had never heard of it before, and figured it might be good. Man, was I wrong! I honestly fell asleep! No joke!

The ship's interiors are just as lame as the acting and the story. If I remember correctly, I can recall noticing that the Grand Staircase was perfectly straight like a normal set of stairs, and all the decor was wrong. The smoking room was also very messed-up looking. None of the actors even look like who they're portraying, although I've heard good things mentioned about Mr. Lightoller, but I must've been asleep then because I can't even remember him being in the film. If you do rent it, you'll only watch it once, trust me.

-B.W.

Erik Wood

Apr 10, 2001
That is good advice. I probably won't watch it and if I do it will most definitly be a rental.

Erik

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Well, they did get the fact that the ship broke up right...which is about the only thing they did get right. That Smith dialogue is interesting if unbeleivable, to say nothing of anachronistic. These issues were not raised until the inquiries mooted the question. I just can't see Smith chewing out Murdoch for doing what any mariner would have done, which is to try and avoid hitting anything in the first place. Also, the evidence supporting an actual reversal of the engines is really slim. We have Boxhall's statement to that effect, but did he hear it right? Very questionable. Nothing from the surviving engineers seems to support this.

As for only one compartment compartment flooding, I would think again on that one. A ship moving at 22.5 knots when it hits something will do much more damage then simply flooding one compartment. The bow would have been crushed, perhaps as far back as 80 ft. (I think that point was made in the RINA report. I'll have to check.) and would have killed anyone sleeping in the crews berthings up forward.

Had this flicks production crew troubled themselves to do some actual research, they would have known all this.

As to Golden Turkey, I thought of Golden Buzzard Award.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Sam Brannigan

Feb 24, 2007
I suppose, in fairness, it's good fodder for non Titanic maniacs like ourselves.

However, they should put a disclaimer at the start warning anybody who knows about the Titanic past the fact that it sank (not like your mate on the message board, Michael!) that they are going to have to put up with four excruciatingly painful hours of viewing.

Regards

Sam

Dave Hudson

Apr 15, 2011
Hello
I agree that it was HORRIBLE, however, we should give credit where due. Let's admit it, if Cameron's Titanic had never come out, we would all be praising this movie. I think that we were all a bit spoiled by the incredible accuracy and computer effects of Cameron's film. Brandon, the Grand Staircase wasn't straight, it was actually pretty good (better than the replica travelling with the exhibit). The sets were (at the time) the most faithful since ANTR. They were also the first to rebuild a sizable portion of the ship (the top 2 or 3 decks). HOWEVER, the deck plan was all wrong. They had the Dining Room on B Deck, and it didn't extend the full width of the ship. There was a Third Class promenade that were on either side. The Smoking Room was bad, but not worse than, say, SOS Titanic. The most glaring flaw in the interior was that the Lounge was replaced by a room that didn't even exist! There was a room that didn't match any of the styles of other public rooms, and was two-decks high with a balcony! Where did that come from!?!?
True, the acting was horrible, but I think that George C. Scott made a better Capt. Smith than Cameron's equivalent. He had that warmer touch that many passengers remarked about. However, where was Thomas Andrews? They mentioned him once in an Engine Room conversation, but that was it! The conversation when Smith told Ismay that the ship would sink (again, where's Andrews?), I don't think that he would have been nearly so repremanding. He would have been in a state of shock. Also, if Smith was angry with Murdock at all, it would have been for not missing the berg, not for hitting it wrong. And what was the casting director smoking when he cast Marilu Henner as Molly? Her acting was deadlier than the iceberg
David.

Jul 10, 2005
ICEBURG RIGHT AHEAD
I can't remember what the gentleman's name was from Harland and Wolff, (and a Titanic Historian) but he also states that if the Titanic had hit the burg head on, it would have saved many more lives. Of course those in the crew compartments and maybe some of the 3rd class forward section (men I believe) may have been lost, but there would have been much less loss of life. Still, it would have been horrible. I feel for Officer Murdoch. Just to think what may have been going through that poor man's head at the time, one can only imagine.

Beverly

Dave Hudson

Apr 15, 2011
Beverly,
I don't think that Murdoch would have been thinking about how to hit the berg instead of missing it altogether. Hindsight is 20/20, but during those 37 seconds, the only thought racing through the officers' minds were how to miss that big black thing right ahead. Today, we think of ways to have saved Titanic, but we only think that because we know what happened. Murdoch had no idea that he would leave the ship her most vulnerable, and that it would lead to 300 feet of damage. He had no clue what the next 2 hours and 40 minutes would bring, much less that 1500 would be dead by daybreak. He did know, however, that if he hit that berg at all he would be to blame. After he hit it, he still probably didn't know the full impact of what had happened. After all, it was the maiden voyage of an unsinkable ship. When Capt. Smith arrived on the bidge, Murdoch's fear was most likely about losing his job than how damaged the ship was. After this voyage, he was to be promoted to Chief Officer. He would have most definitly been demoted if not fired if he rammed the berg head on and delayed the maiden arrival of the new company flagship. It would have been an unbelievable embarrassment to White Star, and the number of lives lost in the bow would have christened Titanic a death ship. I'm sure that everyone on the bridge that night was contemplating possible demotion in those first few minutes. It wasn't until Andrews arrived on the scene that everyone fully grasped the impact of Murdochs actions.
David.

K

kate fisher

i was reading all of your reviews of this "mini-series" and i can honestly (and happily, by the sounds of it) say i've never seen it! Doesn't sound like i missed much. i might have to check it out sometime when i'm really bored and want to make fun of all the inaccuracies. I saw ANTR a few weeks ago, and I haven't seen it since i was probably about nine or ten (I used to watch it with my dad)I've read Walter Lord's books about ten dozen times though and I love them. Did anyone see the "broadway" Titanic show? I did last year. The sets and scenes were okay with what they could do with their limited space, but I thought the characters were kind of cheesy and predictable.