Archive through 22 September 2002

M

Mikael Jonsson

Hi.

Have any more of the oceanliners than Titanic, Britannic or Queen Mary appeared in any movie?

Has Queen Mary been in other movies than Pearl Harbour?

M

Matthew O'Brien

Don't forget the Carpathia and the Californian, they have both been in various Titanic films.

Apr 23, 2002
Queen Mary also featured in ''Assault on a Queen'' and numerous others - including:
Murder She Wrote
Airwolf &
Charlies Angels

Ile De France was in ''The Last Voyage'' as the SS Claridon

SS Asturias was in ''A Night To Remember'' as the Titanic

Britannic was in the movie ''Britannic'' at the opening scenes

Archive film of 'Aquitania, Lusitania & Carpathia' appeared in ''A Night To Remember''.

Apr 23, 2002
The 'Seawise University' (Ex Queen Elizabeth) appeared in the Man With The Golden Gun as the secret headquarters.

Dave Moran

Apr 23, 2002
One of the Queens is in Diamonds Are Forever - that bit at the end where the two blokes get set on fire/ have their family jewels crushed .

That James Bond, he's a lad, eh ?

Steve Smith

Mar 20, 2011
Poor old Ile de France... she deserved better than ending up half-sunk as a prop in a particularly bad movie...

Apr 23, 2002
United States appears as herself in a scene from a British Movie.
I cant remember the Title of the film but It has something to do with an inventor of possibly a plane.
The United States features when a family of Americans are arriving in Southampton docks.
I think Joan Sims played a small role in the movie, its in colour too.
Might be ''The Net'' but I dont know for sure??

Does anyone know for sure??

Mar 28, 2002
What ship (if any) is Gentlemen Prefer Blondes set on?

What was the ship used in "Goliath Awaits", the Brit ship which was torpedoed, sank to the bottom of the sea and the survivors lived for years in a giant air pocket? And was it based on a true story? (Kidding).

Apr 11, 2001
Funnel Flicks Revisited-love it! Normandie on her side like a beached whale appears in Hitch's Sabotage, Queen Mary pops up with Bob Cummings aboard in Dial M for Murder, a Columbo episode, Brideshead Revisited and just about any recent made-for-tv show needing a liner!

May 8, 2001
Boz. I just bought the video Goliath Awaits. (Only avalable as a prior rental, so quite expensive, and somewhat difficult to find.) Undoubtably this is Queen Mary, but there is a model of our beloved 4 stacker Titanic on the front cover of the box!!!! Fun to watch! ~I~ believed it! Doesn't Frank Gorshin play an evil character?! :)
SOS Titanic has scenes of Queen Mary, and Posideon Adventure too.
TV shows, I seem to recall an episode of Simon and Simon, Matt Houston, and more recently, opening credits for the show "COPS" when they were filming in the Port of Long Beach area.
Suppose mentioning the show "The Love Boat" wouldn't count?
Colleen

M

Mikael Jonsson

Thanks everyone for answering my question. Now I shall rent The Talented Mr. Ripley to see Queen Mary
happy.gif

Scott Reigel

Jul 26, 2002
Chaplin (Robt. Downey Jr) has scenes shot on the QM, as well as a great long shot of Normandie leaving NYC (in 1946 none the less).

Mar 28, 2002
Faye Dunaway, Martin Balsam and others starred in a film about a ship full of Jews leaving Germany just before the outbreak of WW2 that was refused entry to all ports and was forced to return to Germany. Can't remember the name of the ship though. Any ideas?

Cheers,

Boz

Dave Moran

Apr 23, 2002
The ' St Louis ' a two funnelled ship owned by Hamburg America IIRC - the movie was called ' Voyage of the Damned '