Archive through 22 September 2002

Mar 28, 2002
That's the bugger! True story, I believe. As was "Exodus", another ship that the British refused entry to Palestine. Starred Paul Newman, Sal Mineo etc. Good film, quite a sad ending when the blond girl was killed in a shootout.

May 12, 2002
Hi Michael

As far as I recall the matt painting work of Normandie in The Josephine Baker Story was done by none other than Ken Marschall.

Just thought I'd throw that in!

Cheers

Paul

Dave Moran

Apr 23, 2002
Dear Iain

Thanks man, no point in watching that on the telly then...LOL

( nah, I believe you've saved me - rumour has it that the film is so long and dull that, at it's premier, after about 2 1/2 hours some wag stood up and shouted at director Otto Preminger - " For Gods sake, Preminger, let my people go !!! " )

R

Richard K. Mason

Mikeal and all others:
I know you all think I'm hogging this web site but it's sooooooo.....great! Here's a few more tidbits to add to this already long list. I can't
be sure you'll ever see them, though.
1}. "Dangerous Crossing" {1953} starring Jean Crain and Micheal Rennie. Mnay shots in B/W of
the Queen Mary.
2}. "An Affair To Remember" {1957} starring Cary
Grant and Deborah Kerr. Great color shots of the
S.S United States.
3}. Rod Serling's "Night Gallery" {1971} Episode
called "lone Survivor" shows the Andrea Doria's
sistership the Christiforo Columbo in a long shot
painted in her latter-day all white cruising colors serving as a stand-in for her ill-fated sister.

That's it! Have a great Day! Richard.

J

John Meeks

In answer to Greg Robertson....(Posting 24th July...)

I may be wrong on this one - but are you thinking of the British comedy "The Iron Maiden"?

In it a young aircraft designer (Bill Travers played the part, if I remember.) seals a deal with a US aircraft company by building a rapport with an American export manager. He does this by intriguing the American with his first love - steam traction engines.

The "Iron Maiden" is, of course, a traction engine - and the 'heroine' of the story!

The American family are introduced as their Cadillac is unloaded from United States (couldn't have been a 'Hertz' back then!)

Very light fare - but quite entertaining.

Ring a bell?

Best Regards,

John M

J

John Meeks

You're welcome Greg!

I'm alarmed to inform you - I saw it when it first came out...! (Just help me 'cross the road, young man...)

...and obviously - I know more about movies than I do Titanic....!

Best Regards,

John M

B

Brent Holt

If I remember correctly, the Big U was featured in "Munster Go Home". (A feature film produced just after the "The Munsters" series was canceled)
Brent

Feb 14, 2011
Wasnt there an episode of 'I Love Lucy' where a helicopter either removed , or deposted Lucy onto the ship? Was this ship the Independence?

Pity the 3 Stooges never did any of their shorts on a real liner (though there were a few film sets made to look like ship interiors).

Wasnt there a Marx Brothers film set on a liner?

regards

Tarn Stephanos

Jul 29, 2001
A Night At the Opera (1935) included a trip to New York by the brothers on the fictional SS Americus. Monkey Business (1931) also featured a sea voyage to New York and a memorable reception in Customs.

bob

Feb 14, 2011
And they certainly ate well in Steerage in the Marx Brothers films...

ps- Horray for Capt. Spaulding, the African explorer!!

Erik Wood

Apr 10, 2001
3 Stooges??

I am a stooge. I don't think the budget exsisted for them to use a real ship in there shorts. Although I would love to have see one.

Erik

Jul 10, 2009
Yes, that was the U. S. S. Independence. Also, you forget the Queen Mary in The Poseidon Adventure. Also wasn't Vivien Leigh in a comedy set aboard a ship? I think it was Ship Of Fools.

Erik Wood

Apr 10, 2001
Michael I think you are referring to a movie set aboard a P&O boat. It was made in the late 60's early 50's.

Does anybody remeber the Juggernaut about the ship that gets bombs planted on it??? It was an alirght movie obiviously filmed aboard a ship. But what ship???

Erik

p.s. Does anybody know how to get a hold of the goliath awaits or what ever it is called.

Jul 10, 2009
Don't know, but I plan on taping it when it comes On Turner Classic Movies later in August. Maybe I'll know then.

Erik Wood

Apr 10, 2001
$33.49????? Holly Bajolly that is a lot of clams for an old movie. But I suppose it is worth it. I recall seeing it a LONG time ago. Thanks Shelly.

May 8, 2001
RE: The 3 Stooges on board a ship. This may not actualy count as a movie, but worth mentioning. I have a 3 Stooges tape called "Family Album", which is a combination of rare and never seen before interviews, commercials, photos, and home movies with their family. Included is their own film footage shot while on vacation on board the Queen Mary.
Colleen