Archive through 22 September 2002

Erik Wood

Apr 10, 2001
Holy Jabolly,

That is alot of clams. I am a stooge at heart. I love the stooges and own lots of memorbilia in fact I have a cool picture that if I ever have the pleasure of meeting you Colleen I will share.

Erik

C

Craig Thomas

Juggernaut- the ship used was the Soviet cruise ship "Maxim Gorky".

D

Daniel Adam Hutchinson

Hello there. I'm new to this site and I just like to say that this is fantastic.

I'm interested in knowing what shots of the Il de France were used in "The Last Voyage" as SS Claridon.

Apr 11, 2001
Daniel- all of the shots were filmed aboard her- even the dreadful funnel explosions. The French had a fit- they had no idea their grand old gal was going to be savaged in such a manner. She was on her way to retirement but what a way to go. I was more distressed seeing the Ile look so down at the heels than the tiresome and irritating Dorothy Malone writhing, moaning and chewing up the scenery- and don't even ask me about that loathesome red-headed little girl. I was hoping she would fall in the hole. There ought to be a Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Ships.

R

Richard K. Mason

Daniel,

To follow up a little more on Shelly's info, the "Ile de France" was indeed on her way to Japan to be broken up for scrap, but somehow, word was passed to a Hollywood directorial couple named Andrew and Virginia Stone. { not related to Oliver}. Anyway, they made a fast deal with the new owners and lo and behold the Ile was instead transformed into a floating movie set. During the production, many nasty things happened that the general public never heard about. Like the ships temporary Japanese skipper was "accidentaly" knocked over-board during filming, and other passengers were stung by jellyfish when encouraged by the directors to leap in the water. Pretty harsh stuff!

And that seen in the movie of Robert Stack trying to save Dorothy Malone from drowning was based on the real-life story of a doctor on the Andrea Doria named Petersen who had a similar experience except that in his case, his wife died before he could free her. All of this info came from a book called "Ocean Liners of the Twentieth Century" by Gordon Newell. He also states in the book that when Hollywood wanted to buy the liner "Dominion Monarch" for use in filming a ship disaster, the owners said no, based on what happened to the Ile de France.

Hope this helped you,
Richard

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
There was also a TV-movie about Eleanor Roosevelt, when she was the U.S. Ambassador to the U.N. Jean Stapleton played the former first-lady (it was, I believe, her first role after she left "All In the Family" and "Archie Bunker's Place").

Anyway, part of the film was set on a ship during a trans-Atlantic crossing. The film showed pictures of the Queen Elizabeth, but the interior shots had to be on the Queen Mary.

BTW, on November 3rd, the next part of the "Sundays On the Ship With Ron" speech series, lectures by Queen Mary historian Ron Smith, is entitled "The Queen Mary Goes To the Movies", a discussion of the many times a film scene was shot on the ship.

BTW, if you rent the 1998 version of "The Parent Trap", the supposed-QE2 shots were actually aboard the Queen Mary.

John Clifford

A

Andrew Williams

Remember Richard Attenborough's excellent film 'Chaplin'.?

In one part of the film Chaplin and his family are seen leaving New York City supposedly on board the Queen Mary.

Can someone please confirm where that shot was taken on the decks of that famous vessel herself!

Andrew W.

D

Daniel Adam Hutchinson

Thanks a lot for that info on the Ile - I had no idea what a dramatic ending she had. Did the Ile really sink to the bottom or was she taken onwards to the breakers yard? I'm guessing that she didn't because of the last scene, when all those actors were running up the deck with the water behind them, and one of the officers shouting "Run to the stern and swim to the lifeboat".

What a dreadful end to her she. She should have been saved like the Queen Mary. But then again - I suppose we could say that about nearly all (if not all) the major liners.

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
She was taken to the breaker's yard. There is a photo spread detailing all aspects of the movie in a 1959 issue of Life which, as I recall, has a scrapyard shot as one of the final images. Quite apart from that horrid little girl who played Robert Stack's daughter, the single oddest thing about the movie was that they went through all of the well publicised trouble of half-sinking the ship and then barely showed any footage of it on the screen. An occasional insert of the bow lowering into the water, a static long shot of the starboard side and, of course, the inexplicable explosion in the forward cargo area were all they got (or rather, used) from their effort. The end result is, from a disaster movie fan's viewpoint, a let down since it could have been done BETTER with miniatures, and from a ship lover's viewpoint disgusting, for obvious reasons.

SHELLEY: About the horrid little girl. AKA Tammi Marihugh. I agree with you about how there ought to be a law. She also played Susan Hayward's daughter in some late 1950s potboiler (again, horribly) and I have a Desilu outtake of her audition for some Desilu series or other in which she sings (badly) relates a story about leaving the gate at her house open which led to the death of her dog ("an' I was SO sad...." she whines) and, best of all, does the scene from The Bad Seed in which Leroy taunts her with possible death in the electric chair. She is horrid, as always, but the offscreen voice taunting her with references to "a little pink electric chair with ribbons on it for girls" and her reaction to it (she breaks character and smiles) are priceless.

Mar 28, 2002
As Craig Thomas pointed out - the ship used in the film "Juggernaut" was the Russian liner Maxim Gorky.

In July 1991, the Maxim Gorky caught fire off the coast of Norway. Seven hundred passengers received the order to abandon ship. Three of the crew lost their lives, one being the ship's hairdresser, a young British girl. Among the passengers were twelve people who had been on board the Maxim Gorky when she hit ice three years previously. As a goodwill gesture they had received a reduced fare offer for this cruise.

- from "Burning Ships" by Noreen and John Steele (Argyll Publishing, ISBN 1874640629)

Cheers,

Boz