Archive through December 12 2007

Michael H. Standart

Michael H. Standart

From The Shipping Times:

Where and when to see the arrival of Cunard's QUEEN VICTORIA
quote:

The vantage points to see the latest grand Cunarder as she sails home to Southampton...

Queen Victoria, Cunard’s new ocean liner, will arrive in Southampton for the first time on Friday 7 December and berth at the City Cruise Terminal at 0930 hours.

Members of the public will be able to view the ship as she makes her way up Southampton Water from the following vantage points at the following times:
You'll just have to go to http://www.shippingtimes.co.uk/item992_queen-victoria-arrival.htm for the rest.

Jonathan Granato

Jonathan Granato

I hate to grumble, but she looks just like QM2: a floating condominium, nothing Cunard about her. "Queen Victoria of the Seas", "Crystal Victoria", "Princess Queen Victoria". Evolutionary, not revolutionary. But, my idea of beautiful of a beautiful hull was H&W's Olympic Class...

John Clifford

John Clifford

My thoughts were that she was trying to look like the Splendour of the Seas and other cruise ships; will see what I think of her when she comes to the Port of Los Angeles, during her world cruise.

Did anyone get pictures of the Queen Victoria leaving on her maiden voyage??

I

Iain Stuart Yardley

Hello all,

We boarded the Queen Victoria on a very blustery Saturday morning in Southampton for a two-hour self-guided tour of the ship before her naming ceremony on Sunday and maiden voyage on Tuesday. From the exterior she looks very much like the QM2 but the interior is quite different.

The QM2 is very loud and brash whereas the QV is rather more understated. I like her a lot and she feels more homely than the cavernous QM2. I am particularly impressed with the Winter Garden, which is illuminated by much more natural daylight than the QM2 (which seemed to resemble a painting storeroom most of the time). The library seems rather dark and narrow, but stylish and the Britannia restaurant lower deck cannot be peered upon by diners in the upper level because of a wall of frosted glass. Whilst gazing at the string quartet over the balcony of the ballroom, I was taken back to The Poseidon Adventure as I could reach out and touch the top of the Christmas tree. Not that it would have taken my weight, let alone Shelley Winter's.

I did have taken a load of photos a la Cork Examiner in 1912 but am trying to figure a way of uploading them from my camera to this site. As soon as I can get my act together, I'll post them.

Cheers,

Boz

Michael H. Standart

Michael H. Standart

From Cruise Critic:

The Duchess Christens Queen Victoria
quote:

If the bubbly fell flat when Her Royal Highness The Duchess of Cornwall pushed the button meant to release the good luck bottle of Veuve Clicquot against Queen Victoria's hull, well, today's ceremony was still a great sendoff.

It was perhaps fortunate that christening planners had Plan B in effect; as the ritual bottle of Champagne lay flat on the hull just beyond the giant V for Victoria, a young crew member on deck whipped out a spare and did the honors successfully by hand, the old fashioned way.
For the rest, see http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=2306

Related story at http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=2304

I

Iain Stuart Yardley

Afternoon all,

I have at least twenty photographs to upload, all of which are under 35KB but every time I try there is a message saying "Error - pictures too big". I have tried all twenty in one message, then batches of three or four and singly, all to no avail. Help desperately needed please.

Cheers,

Boz

Michael H. Standart

Michael H. Standart

From The Australian:

Camilla can't break the curse on cruise liner
quote:

FOR the superstitious and seafarers it is a bad omen. When the woman who could become Britain's next queen officially named a new luxury cruise liner, the champagne bottle did not smash.

As a flag-waving audience looked on, Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, pushed the button to send the bubbly crashing into the side of the 90,000-tonne Queen Victoria. But nothing happened.
Story at http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,22910011-12377,00.html

Comment: (((Sigh)) It didn't take long for the Gloom and Doom crowd to jump on this one!

N

N. James Wright

Champagne bottles buy their very design our meant to be strong. I remember one falling from waist height and bouncing off a tiled floor -undamaged. The normal way to make sure it breaks is to score the bottle with a glass cutter, it then breaks at the slightest contact.

David G. Brown

David G. Brown

RIP
I must raise a caution flag here.

Scoring a bottle that has contents under gas pressure is very risky business. That's why special ship christening bottles exist. These do not contain champagne under natural pressure, but a still mixture of water and a foaming agent. The bottle is rather thin glass for easy shattering and is wrapped in a protective mesh sleeve as well as festive decorations.

Anyone who wants to use real champagne should consider the consequences. More than one bottle has exploded while being scored, or along the way to the launching. The result is always flying shards of glass. Think of a regular champagne bottle as a sort of gas-powered grenade.

The special ship/boat christening bottles cost less than the real bubbly, are safe to use, and actually provide a more satisfying "pop" when used. Not only that, but you get to consume the real stuff at the celebration after the launching. Cheers!

-- David G. Brown

Michael H. Standart

Michael H. Standart

From Cruise Critic:

First Hand Report: Queen Victoria's Sailaway
quote:

(Second paragraph) After the ship was duly christened Monday and VIP types who overnighted onboard had departed early Tuesday morning, it was time for Queen Victoria to get down to the business of sailaway. And in this respect, reports Greg Straub, a Cruise Critic correspondent (and veteran Cunard traveler), who's onboard for the maiden voyage, the trip got off to a much easier start than that endured by Queen Mary 2. Here is Straub's report:
For the rest, see http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=2312

Comment: It looks like Cruise Critic is going to be providing running coverage of the maiden voyage, so watch this space.

I

Iain Stuart Yardley

Hemisphere Lounge