Archive through February 2008

Joe Russo

Apr 10, 2006
Very beautiful interiors. She seems more ornate than the QM2. The pictures of the Queen's Grill and the Staircase remind me of the Olympic Class ships.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
From Cruise Critic:

Day 1: Thursday, Embarkation and First Impressions
quote:

When I booked the maiden voyage of Queen Victoria more than four years ago, I didn't know what the length of the voyage would be or the ports that would be visited. (I also didn't know how much it would cost.) Cunard chose to showcase its new ship with a Christmas markets cruise, visiting northern capitals before the holiday.
Story at http://www.cruisecritic.com/virtual/virtual.cfm?ID=28

Jun 24, 2003
Those posted interior shots are captivating. My dream is to someday cruise on the Cunard line. Pleased to notice Cunard reflecting back to the older more traditional elegance.

Steve Olguin

Mar 31, 2005
Wow, that grand lobby really takes my breath away. I think it gives the ship a unique feel. I think they should have modeled the Britannia Restaurant a bit more after the one on the QM2, as a lot of the decor IMO looks like something a bit out of the early 1990's. All of that carved glass railing in the upper decks looks unnecessary. Too many different design schemes, which I think clash. Other public rooms look like they had a good idea going, but the details are lackluster. I think a lot of that very light wood used throughout her accommodations gives those spaces a rather outdated look, rather than neo-traditional as the rest of her spaces.

Overall, quite impressive. I don't think the detail and work went into these interiors as was with the QM2, but it is definitely a step above most other ships at sea.

Joe Russo

Apr 10, 2006
I agree with you on that one Steve. Of all of the rooms on the virtual tour, I thought the Britannia Restaurant was the least impressive. It seems very Celebrity Cruises to me. A little too glitzy for what is going on with the rest of the ship. Besides the Edwardian feel of the grand lobby's "woodwork" AKA laminate work (check out the shape of the window frames and compare them to the promenade deck of the Olympic Class), the thing that was pleasing to me was the mural of the Queen Mary in the champagne bar which reminds me of the observation bar still on the QM. Did anyone else catch these?

Steve Olguin

Mar 31, 2005
Joe,
I too noticed the mural of the Queen Mary in the Champange Bar, which I thought was the best feature of that space. I am just not digging a lot of the color choices used throughout, as well as a lot of draperies and textiles. The Grill Lounge looks very blank and similar to some of the Long Beach era rooms aboard the Queen Mary. I think the Winter Garden is a step-up from the one on the QM2, but I was hoping for more plants and landscaping.
I would be interested in seeing the best of both these new Queens incorporated into the new Queen Elizabeth. I think perhaps they should shy away from some of the more modern aspects and go a bit more traditional. I think with all the recent advancements in creating faux woodwork, we could see public rooms like what we saw on Aquitania, Lusitania and Berengaria. If only I could get a job with Cunard's design dept.

Mar 28, 2002
I agree with your comments about the Britannia Restaurant, especially with the frosted glass on the upper level, which I think is entirely unnecessary. It would feel a lot more spacious and elegant if you were seated upstairs and could look down on the lower level. It's one of the very few points where the QM2 has the edge over the QV. The Britannia on the QM2 is quite spectacular.

Cheers,

Boz

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
From Cruise Critic:

Day 6: Monday, At Sea
quote:

Our departure from Oslo was magic. The fortress and castle that dominate the seafront were illuminated, as was the twin-towered City Hall. Along the quay, oil lanterns had been lit every so many yards, and a few brave souls bore flaming torches. While the ship departed quietly with very few on-lookers on shore, we left behind a Christmas card scene of flickering winter lights.
Full blog at http://www.cruisecritic.com/virtual/virtual.cfm?ID=28&page=6

Comment: Some highlights and lowpoints to be seen here.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
From Cruise Critic:

Day 7: Wednesday, Hamburg
quote:

Yesterday, walking along the balcony that rings the Queens Room, I heard the unmistakable sound of swordplay. Surely enough, below me were two dozen fencers wearing protective padding and masks, wielding foils. While Queen Victoria has a number of sweeping staircases suitable for rescue attempts of the Prisoner of Zenda, I had no idea the line was training passengers for such a cause! Indeed, Queen Victoria is the first ship at sea to offer fencing lessons.
For the rest of the blog, go to http://www.cruisecritic.com/virtual/virtual.cfm?ID=28&page=7

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
From Cruise Critic:

Day 8: Thursday, Final Day at Sea/Zeebrugge
quote:

Since boarding in Southampton, I have heard scuttlebutt (shipboard gossip) to the effect that the Germans would pull out all stops and our reception in Hamburg would be enthusiastic. As the maiden voyage has progressed and our presence in three ports has been low key, to say the least, anticipation for our port call in Hamburg has only built among us passengers. And the Germans did not disappoint.

>snip< To final paragraph.

Would I sail on Queen Victoria again? Yes, and I would look forward to doing so, but she is not a replacement for the QE2 in purpose or speed. Still, I think this ship is the most attractive ship of her size afloat. The décor and attention to detail are remarkable. She is comfortable and offers lots of public space. If only Queen Victoria were the ocean liner that Cunard insists it is.
For the rest, see http://www.cruisecritic.com/virtual/virtual.cfm?ID=28&page=8

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
From The Daily Mail:

'Curse of Camilla' cruise ship struck by winter vomiting bug
quote:

luxury liner launched by the Duchess of Cornwall has been hit by a potentially fatal stomach bug, which has struck down nearly 80 passengers.

When Cunard's £300million MS Queen Victoria was officially launched by Camilla in Southampton three weeks ago, the bottle of champagne failed to smash against the bow, prompting superstitious speculation that the ship was cursed.

Now, 78 passengers have been confined to their cabins after being hit with Norovirus, the "winter sickness bug", which causes severe vomiting and diarrhoea.

Last night, passengers - who include former Formula 1 motor-racing champion Sir Jackie Stewart - dubbed the Canary Islands trip the "cruise from hell" after complaining about poor room service, blocked toilets, a lack of Christmas decorations, cold food and extra charges for tea and coffee.
Full story and photos at This Hotlink

Comment: Oh my! Another one the newsies are going to just love. And no, I don't believe in curses. The causes here are a lot more mundane. If what the passengers are claiming is accurate, this would have happened no matter who launched the ship.