Archive through January 16 2009

Joe Russo

Apr 10, 2006
Does anyone know when QM2 will be going in for her next refit? I see that she had one in 2006, but I don't know if this was major. Since she will be 5 in January, shouldn't she be due for a pretty big one? How frequent are these things usually done?

Grant Carman

Jun 19, 2006
Joe

It's my understanding that a lot will depend on the wear and tear. I would think that due to her last refit being 2 years ago, she's due to some refreshing, but I think that will wait until the transatlantic season is over for the year, and before she start her cruising.

Although, based on what I've seen on TV, they can do a heck of a lot in 7 days.

K

Kyle Johnstone

She'll be in dry-dock late October.

But, does dry-dock necessarily mean "refit", or usually just "tune-up and touch-up"?

Powdering her nose, or a make-over?

Joe Russo

Apr 10, 2006
3 1/2 weeks sounds like a little more than powdering the nose.
The only other thing that I can think of is that she may be chartered for some of that time so it wouldn't be showing up in this schedule.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>But, does dry-dock necessarily mean "refit", or usually just "tune-up and touch-up"? <<

In mercentile practice, it often means both!

Here's the catch: Merchent vessels have to make money and the only way they do that is if they're underway either with passengers, cargo, or both. Because of that refits have to be carefully planned out and accomplished at a speed which would make any naval officer flinch. Since navies have no obligation to turn a profit, they can afford to be a bit less frantic in their pace, but the merchent marine doesn't have the luxury of keeping a ship in the yards for up to two or even three years to bring her up to speed. Passenger vessels have to do things in increments during the slow part of the season.

Grant Carman

Jun 19, 2006
Michael

I saw a TV show a couple of years ago showing a 35 day refit to one of the Carnival Ships (I think). In the space of 35 days they basically rebuilt quite a few of the public rooms, added new rooms, re-did all carpeting everywhere except staterooms, but put all new linen in the ship. It amazed me how quickly everything got done. And they accomplished this on top of having a small fire.

That makes me think that if the QM2 drydocks, it might just be for hull painting, but also refreshing the worst worn of the public areas, such as carpets, chairs etc.

Joe Russo

Apr 10, 2006
Yes, it is amazing how fast they do them. I believe Monarch of the Seas was just under 30 days and this included all new cabins and new public areas. Enchantment of the Seas was jumboized in about that time as well.
I would think that QM2 would at least get some of her cabin and hallway carpets replaced since they are light colored and probably need replacing by now.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>That makes me think that if the QM2 drydocks, it might just be for hull painting,<<

They would do a bit more then that. Attention would be given to any through hull openings like discharges and sea chests as well as any of the valves assocciated with them. Sometimes, you have to do major work which involves hull cuts below that waterline. Hull cuts below the waterline tend to cause the crew some annoyance when the ship happens to be afloat.

Getting rid of any marine growth and preservation however, is the major thing.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina

Joe Russo

Apr 10, 2006
Yep, her webcam shows the drydock.

I'll be sailing on her again in early September. Will try and find anything new.

Joe Russo

Apr 10, 2006
It looks like QM2 emerged from her refit with WiFi throughout most of the ship. Some of the other improvements are:

"Queen Mary 2's dry dock has allowed Cunard to ensure the ship is looking pristine for her fifth anniversary year with a new refurbishment of the nautically themed Chart Room, featuring a new colour scheme and layout, carpet, drapes and furniture; the installation of a canopy providing a wonderful al fresco dining option for our Todd English Restaurant guests; and the replacement of some stateroom corridor carpets as well as French polishing and upholstery work in the Britannia restaurant, Royal Court Theatre and Canyon Ranch SpaClub"

Read the entire news release at:

http://www.cunard.com/news/Default.asp?Cat=&View=ViewArticle&Mode=News&ContentID=8213&

Joe Russo

Apr 10, 2006
And for those unrefined people like me who didn't know...

French polish - noun. shellac polish that produces a high gloss on wood.

Grant Carman

Jun 19, 2006
Joe

My definition of French Polish:

High gloss, and a bloody nuiscance to hand buff, especially when one has someone yelling that guests will arrive in 5 minutes.

Further translation: I gave that pc of furniture away to a neice as a wedding gift. Her husband is much stronger.

Joe Russo

Apr 10, 2006
I actually didn't see anything wrong with the Chart Room and thought it was one of the better decorated rooms of the ship.
I was hoping for another specialty restaurant in the place of the Winter Garden and turning the Atlantic Room into something more useful like maybe a forward-facing winter garden like on the Normandie.

The canopy for Todd English is a good idea for cruises. I guess they saw the popularity of canopied lido dining on all of the Vista Class clones.