Archive through January 18 2011

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
From Maritime Matters:

Brokeback PLATINUM
quote:

A haunting series of images taken of the stranded and now quite visibly broken SS PLATINUM II (ex INDEPENDENCE, SEA LUCK I, OCEANIC INDEPENDENCE, OCEANIC) have been forwarded to MaritimeMatters by James Hood.
More with photo at http://maritimematters.com/2010/06/brokeback-platinum/

Comment: What a mess!

When reading the readers comments, be sure to check out Peter Knego's responses.​

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
From Maritime Matters:

Sad EndEPENDENCE
quote:

The terribly sad images at the bottom of the page speak for themselves.

We have received many requests from people to publish them as they lend a certain “closure” to the sorrowful INDEPENDENCE saga. The photos were forwarded to MaritimeMatters by James Hood, who found them on an Indian website that has since deleted them.
More with photos at http://maritimematters.com/2010/06/sad-endependence/

Comment: For those of us who love the classic liners...warts and all...these photos are not for the easily depressed.​

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Unfortunately, this sort of looting is very commonplace and very difficult to stop. I know of at least two attempts to preserve a tank landing ship and a destroyer which have been short circuited this way.

With the price of copper and anything it goes into going back up on the commoddities markets, I expect that this problem is going to get a lot worse.

James Carey

Sep 14, 2004
Does anyone else find it odd that there are no more pictures or articles on her? It is one thing to break a ship on shore, but I would imagine the challenges of doing this 10 miles off shore when the ship is partially submerged, would be huge. I think it is amazing that there is nothing on the internet, either pictures or articles.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Does anyone else find it odd that there are no more pictures or articles on her?<<

A bit. I think the attitude with most of the media is something along the lines of "It's been covered." However, I would think that the maritime press would take a bit more interest. I watch these headlines and haven't heard a peep since last June. A Google search gave me nothing recent.

James Carey

Sep 14, 2004
I find that really hard to believe. I think breaking a ship in open water would take much longer. Is there any official word on this other than someone's blog post?

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>I find that really hard to believe. I think breaking a ship in open water would take much longer. Is there any official word on this other than someone's blog post?<<

Not that I'm aware of but I don't find it that hard to believe. If you check back through some of the posts in this thread, you'll note that I had found a story indicating that the nominal owners had "Pulled a Norway" with the hulk, ipso facto running it up onto the beach illegally.

It wasn't that far off to begin with. They got away with it because the breakup of the hull rendered any court injunctions to refloat the vessel entirely moot.