Archive through May 13 2001

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Teri, Bill may be referring to that Ken Marshell book with the foldout pages. It's pretty much a kids book, but with Ken's usual outstanding artwork, among which is a cutaway of the ship. It's available on Amazon.com or Barnes & Noble.com.

General deck plans are fairly easy to get. The Titanic Historical Society offers them, and several books have them as well. The Eaton& Haas plans in Titanic, Triumph and Tragedy are likely the best on the market. You can also find some in Discovery's "Titanic, Legacy of the Worlds Grewatest Ocean Liner" on pages 192 to 201. This includes the diagrams as originally concived and a photo of the plans of the First Class accomadation with the modifications put in during the fitting out.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Teri Lynn Milch

Apr 7, 2001
Michael,

I did find the deck plans as you described in Discovery's "Titanic, Legacy of the Worlds Greatest Ocean Liner" on pages 192 to 201.

I'll have to make a note of all of the books mentioned and add them to my collection. Soon I'm going to need another bigger bookshelf!

Teri

Tracy Smith

Apr 20, 2012
South Carolina USA
Going to Ebay and typing in "Titanic book" is a good way to locate out of print Titanic books and some of those still in print for lesser prices than going to a bookstore. I got my bio of Lightoller this way.

Teri Lynn Milch

Apr 7, 2001
Yes Tracy I have done that on eBay. Man I could sit here all day and bid on everything! It's too addicting on that eBay! Get me outa there!

Teri

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
I hear you, Teri. I think I've spent $500 this month on e-Bay! I now have enough stuff to start a traveling exhibit! But I'd love to have a Titanic whiskey decanter. Only $100! Mother's Day is coming up, anyone want to get me one? LOL!

Teri Lynn Milch

Apr 7, 2001
Kyrila,

I really should tell everyone that the only gifts I want ever again for Mother's Day, my birthday, Christmas, etc. etc. is a token of Titanic. Shopping would be made VERY easy for them, huh? And they don't even have to go to a mall, they could do it all online through eBay! Wow, that could work out quite nice indeed.

OH what we would do for the love of our Titanic fix, eh? The legacy of WHY she was built lives on...

Teri

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Hi Bill, anything Titanic worth the effort? It depends on your focus. If you have an interest in anything made, published, marketed, offered or sold, the answer would be yes. If your interest is in historical research alone, you'll have to be more picky.

A few months ago, I started a thread called the Golden Turkey Award. I don't remember where it is (Probably archived by now.) but we discussed some Titanic tomes that went from bad to beyond worse for historical accuracy.

The Eaton and Haas book is well worth the price, BTW, so snap it up as soon as you can.

Teri; I quite understand about the bookshelf. I have a wide variety of interests in aviation, military, and maritime matters and history (As well as a large collection of Victoria's Secret Catalogs, but that's another story.) and I add to it all the time. The end result is that I have more books then clothes.

As I said to Bill, be careful what you buy. Some books are quite good even if none can ever be without their flaws, but some are real stinkers and not worth the paper they're printed on. Hopefully, Micheal Tennero will offer something on this. He's our resident expert on Titanic related literature.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Tracy Smith

Apr 20, 2012
South Carolina USA
I definitely have more books than clothes....I'll go around in rags forever to be able to continue to feed my book habit.

I have a passing interest in aviation myself: I have quite a few titles about the history of women in aviation. The latest title I've read in this genre was "The Happy Bottom Riding Club", a biography of Pancho Barnes. She was a pioneer female aviator, who in later life was a very close friend of Chuck Yeager.

W

WOODROW STEPHEN CRAWFORD

Sorry, Teri,

I misread a message. That wasn't meant for you in my previous post.

WOODY

May 5, 2001
I did find the deck plans as you described in Discovery's "Titanic, Legacy of the Worlds Greatest Ocean Liner" on pages 192 to 201.

Good evening Teri, can I persuade you to inform me where this book can be found?

Thank You in Advance!​

Sincerly,
BILL

May 5, 2001
A few moments of respite has rekindled my spirit so I have gone back on this thread a bit and read a few of the posts beyond where I started posting here and I am beyond belief at just how bad the TITANIC GRIP is here, but of course, it's bad in a good way I suppose.

I am very much obsessed with The Big T, so much so that while I am posting messages here, I listen to anything that has to do with TITANIC on my CD Player.....

I can sort of understand Teri's passion for this Great Lady and I do hope to learn more as time goes on........Once this ship has got you, it's hard to let go. There are some in my ranks that do not understand this and my simple explanation is "Then you never will"

As for other facets of my life, I still have my job but Hand surgery has sidelined me for the month so I just enjoy sitting here reading and posting about Titanic.....

Sincerly,
Bill

Sam Brannigan

Feb 24, 2007
How many of you have the "new message" page ste as default when you open up the net?

Thought so!!!

I think the Titanic is a wonderful subject to be obssessed with. The romance, history, social codes, politics, the sheer glory of it all...it's an amazing subject.

I remember on the bus home from school a guy who used to rant on about cars this and cars that and when I mentioned my interest in the Titanic he laughed it off as a pile of worthless junk under the sea.

No car ever made will ever incorporate the majesty of those huge reciprocating engines (that got his interest, especially when I mentioned pistons!).

No car (Herbie and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang have tried) will ever gross £1 billion plus at the movies.

The sad thing is, he summed up why so many people don't get it. Because it's lying at the bottom of the sea, junk as it were, it's not new and immediate and self gratifying. The interest requires thought and development and not instant kicks and two dimensional beauty.

The Titanic is a story of FOUR dimensions.

History is anathema to many people and wrongly so. Don't let them laugh any of us off our interest, be it the Titanic or dressing up for battle roleplay of the English civil war.

Regards

Sam

W

WOODROW STEPHEN CRAWFORD

Sam,

Very well said. I've been studying the TITANIC since about 1980, when i was nine years old. I've been the laughing stock of many a conversation, over the years. Sadly, not until the Cameron film came out, did everyone and his brother jump on the TITANIC bandwagon. 80% of the people who started listening because of that film live by it, it and it only. How sad. Even though Cameron paid close attention to detail as far as dress, the actual looks of the ship, as well as adding important persons involved, he stretched everything and turned it into nothing more than a love story, with the TITANIC as a background. I do respect what he did do for the throngs of people who actually paid attention, and dug much deeper. Those people are out there, and they are coming up with wonderful things in their research. There is nothing more interesting than what happened between the time that Ismay and Lord Pirrie laid out those plans, and the time the TITANIC sank, much less the BRITTANIC, and the memorable life of the mighty OLYMPIC. All of it provides for great reading and education into the foresight of the Edwardian Era. The TITANIC will continue to be something of an enigma as long as any of us shall live.

WOODY

Jan 5, 2001
I 'm interested in the titanic since 6 years old , now I 'm 33 yeard old. I have books, videos , 2 box of titanic coal, replicas of plates, bottles, cups, menues, pictures, etc....Now I'm ready to make my own bookshelf to have my own exhitition in my home!

W

WOODROW STEPHEN CRAWFORD

Why don't we all just make our bookshelves public, and learn things from each other. Who cares whose kid touches what..... or who knows what. Let's just share it all, and maybe, then, we can find a common bind that can help us investigate the truth, if there still is one, as to what happened that night. We all have books. So be it.

WOODY

Teri Lynn Milch

Apr 7, 2001
Tracy,

I'm with you, I'll go around in rags forever to be able to continue to feed my collection habit! And that's precisely what it is, a habit, or more so accurately - - an obsession! And I'm proud of it!

Michael I also couldn't agree with you more, my end result is that I have more books then clothes too!

Sam very interesting question you posted about having ET as my home page when IE opens up! Well I just changed my Home Page to ET!!! Horray!! Phil will love me!!! Also, as far as someone saying Titanic is "a worthless junk under the sea" L I would have been very offended by that remark but would also have tried to gently explain my interest in it so as to make sure the other person understood me. And ya know what? I have done just that. I have had people sneer at, criticize, satirize and scorn Titanic many times over, and I am always deeply offended by their remarks but I can't tell them that. I only gently explain my interest, and usually this shuts them up!!! With patience and care I can turn a nasty comment into a small gesture of humor... THAT'S how much I care for our beloved "junk" under the sea... To me she's a GEM under the sea. J

Woodrow, While I could agree with you on everyone sharing their thoughts on what happened, we just might end up more versions of the story than we already have! I personally prefer to email you in private about those matters... Feel free to click on my profile for my private email address.

Sincerely Yours,

Teri

E

Emily Bisignano

Teri-
I'd agree with you on that one. The Titanic IS and always WILL BE a dream and a legend that will forever live in my heart. I have 4 brothers that give me a hard time about my "obsession" but I don't care because I love this ship. I wish I had the money to buy all this cool stuff on Titanic, but I don't because I'm too young for most jobs here. I WISH THAT I COULD VOLUNTEER FOR A TITANIC EXHIBIT!!! That would be soooooooooo cool! I live in a small town, so that ain't happenin'. I'll carry my passion for the Titanic to my grave.

Sam Brannigan

Feb 24, 2007
You know, I've been thinking about what Woody said:

80% of the people who started listening because of that film live by it, it and it only. How sad.

Isn't it funny how we yearn for the romance and society of the era, yet we all hunt out new clues and information to increase our understanding.

Understanding and knowledge doesn't seem to kill the romance though.

I'm sure even the greatest Titanic expert sleeps with dreams of pulling into Southampton docks and seeing the Titanic rise in all her glory before him (or her*)

Regards

Sam

*Disclaimer

May 5, 2001
The sad thing is, he summed up why so many people don't get it. Because it's lying at the bottom of the sea, junk as it were, it's not new and immediate and self gratifying. The interest requires thought and development and not instant kicks and two dimensional beauty.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hello Sam, the problem is similar to the one I had so many years ago when my mother tried to convey what happened to The Big T but I didn't get it either so she brought me a jigsaw puzzle of THE NEW YORK TIMES cover story on the sinking, which is postively fraught with errors that it isn't even worth mentioning, I put it together, read it and said "Yeah SO?, a ship hits an iceberg and sinks and it kills a bunch of people!"
I said..."But ma, it happened so long ago, who cares?"...of course, now we all know I stopped looking at this thing with rose-colored glasses."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Woody-
80% of the people who started listening because of that film live by it, it and it only. How sad.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Well it is Woody but you can't really blame the kids......they listen to rap music and bad mouth our country when they should be out in libraries getting educated on American History, they need to go rent some documentaries by The Discovery Channel, log onto their website..They need to go out and rent the 4 part Titanic Documentary that A&E shows once in awhile that I paid a bundle for when it first came out 6 years ago...Oh sure "Hey David, let's go to the movies and see TITANIC, Leonardo is in it,He's a dream!". PLEASE!, can I throw up now?.....you would be amazed if you go to a certain unnamed Titanic website, how many retards are sending the Titanic through the ringer because of Jack and Rose........
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Emily-
I'll carry my passion for the Titanic to my grave.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hello there Emily, you and me both kiddo, I think I said those exact same words somewhere else on this website.....but since it's for the Big T., I guess copyright infringements will have to be put off for another time..
happy.gif

Sincerly to all,
Bill