Archive through May 13 2001

Teri Lynn Milch

Apr 7, 2001
Dear All,

Why are we concerned here with those who are not Titanic enthusiasts but are rap enthusiasts? Who cares about those who bow down to Cameron's movie? If they are genuine enthusiasts, they will search for some (notice I didn't say ALL truth) truth written in books and on websites. The rest can listen to rap or whatever else their heart desires, for I am not interested in their musical endeavors whatsoever. Oh, and this thread is not entitled, "How much of a rap freak are you?"

Teri

Sam Brannigan

Feb 24, 2007
Bill

I think I was trying to get across that for us the Titanic is a worthy focus for study and analysis. It is our common passion.

I don't like rap music personally, but if anyone is keen on it and enjoys it there is a phrase we use in Ireland...more power to them.

It is good to be passionate about something - anything. I have found that people who are passionate about anything in life, no matter how oblique, are far more interesting than those who put them down.

I would much rather talk to someone at a party who was obsessed with rap music, for instance, than someone who says they "like a bit of everything".

I studied music at degree level, one of the course modules being popular music.

Even though I don't like it, and although most people who listen to rap wouldn't care about this side of it, it is a form of music with immense historical, social, and cultural interest.

Sound familiar?

Whatever turns you on, get into it and enjoy it. But I feel like everyone else here that others interests should not be demeaned.

Regards

Sam

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Hi Teri, one of the occupational risks of forums is topic drift. I wouldn't worry about it too much. It can get a tad tiresome at times, but on the other hand, it might lead to new avenues of inquiry, or help you get to better know an on-line chum. Ain't nothin' wrong with that!
happy.gif

On music, I'm a lover of classical. I guess that would almost be expected of somebody interested in Edwardian era ocean liners. I wouldn't listen to rap or most rock if you paid me to, but as Sam said, if some blokes like it, more power to them.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Teri Lynn Milch

Apr 7, 2001
Okay Sam - Here goes

You are right, Titanic IS a worthy focus for study and analysis. I could not agree with you more, my friend. Titanic was a beautiful ship, and she deserves respect and praise, even if she is lying helplessly at the bottom of the ocean. (tears) Somehow I think all of the Titanic enthusiasts bring her back to life, if only in thought. Since this thread is about Titanic freaks and I am obsessed, it is safe for me and I can easily admit that I NEED to have Titanic alive. That's what keeps ME alive. Others are always intrigued when they see my face light up talking about Titanic.

Sam hits it on the spot when he says that it's good to be passionate about something, anything. He's right. I too, would rather talk to someone who's passionate about something far more than someone who isn't passionate about something. My blood constantly boils (a good boil) whenever I think about my Titanic passion. Call me a freak, that's okay. That's what this thread is all about. And I thank the person who started this thread, Emily. I've really needed it.

I do not put down rap music, I only state that those who live and swear by Cameron's movie are ignorant in my book. Rap is okay. Not my favorite, but it is okay.

Love To You All,

Teri

Teri Lynn Milch

Apr 7, 2001
Michael,

You should have seen what I wrote to you and then quickly erased because I'm in a coquettish mood this evening, don't know why. Yes it would have made for fun reading but.... Oh well.

Got it on the topic drift, thanks for putting it into perspective for me. That person who "drifted" I would have you know sent me a most distressing email to my private email account and I had to remove him from my contact list. I do not ever put up with that sort. And yes, this will help me get to better know an on-line person more. It does get tiresome sometimes.

Yours,

Teri