Archive through May 2010

Eric Longo

Aug 13, 2004
Hi Ernie
happy.gif

Goodness no, I am no sophisticate. I am just happy you and your wife had such a good time - I hope you both have another splendid voyage next Spring. Consider the Todd English; there were about six courses served at the luncheon including double desserts, but the first, a blood orange salad, was truly astounding.

Best wishes,
Eric

Ernie Luck

Nov 24, 2004
Hi Eric,

Thanks for your good wishes. I expect we were looking at things through rose-coloured spectacles. Sounds like you had a splendid meal.

The ship felt really comfortable. I remember an elderly gentleman, saying on the tender from an excursion to Monte Carlo "It's nice to be going home", adding, "to the ship I mean"; mirrored my sentiments too.

Joe Russo

Apr 10, 2006
With a 57.25 space ratio, QM2 is the roomiest ship in service. I'm just curious what would be an example of a "loose" ship?

Eric Longo

Aug 13, 2004
Hi Joe
happy.gif

I am unable to convert, reduce or render my feelings of claustrophobia in the Commodore Club with a general mathematical equation or expression. It was tight. I've heard others agree. I doubt the room (with a seating capacity of about 80) was overcrowded - it was a private party with only 50 guests, not all of whom were even in the room as I recall, staff and some photographers/reporters. Maybe I should have said the room is "incredibly...cozy." I enjoyed the cocktail hour immensely, but I felt "on top of" the other guests which made me a little uncomfortable - yet I could not hear them well. That is one tangible reason I felt it was close quarters. This is my opinion only, others will certainly have different views.
Bear in mind please, I had a superb time and would not have missed it for the world. I was not there to critique the ship, I was there for a valued friends birthday and most pleased to have been invited.

Best,
Eric

Mar 3, 2010
Hi Eric.
No, I haven't done any tints recently. My laptop is down, sadly. I plan to do one of Titanic's grand staircase, though! Or maybe Olympic's.

Eric Longo

Aug 13, 2004
Hi Rocky,

Why not that of the Mauretania? Think of the aluminum elevator grilles etc. Could be real nice - I recall your Aquitania staircase fondly
happy.gif

Best,
Eric

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
From Marketwire:

Queen Mary 2 to Become Largest Ship Ever to Visit the Clyde
quote:

SCOTLAND, UNITED KINGDOM--(Marketwire - Oct. 8, 2009) - Queen Mary 2, the most famous ship in service, will make her maiden call to Greenock and the Clyde on Monday 19 October 2009 during a special 'lap-of-honour' to mark her fifth birthday. Queen Mary 2 will be the largest ship ever to have sailed up the Clyde...
More at http://www.marketwire.com/press-release/Cunard-Line-Limited-1056999.html

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
From Focus On Travel News:

Queen Mary 2 Canyon Ranch SpaClub Named Among “Top 10 Best Spas on a Cruise Ship”￾
quote:

SpaFinder, Inc., the global spa resource, has named the Canyon Ranch SpaClub® aboard Cunard Line’s flagship Queen Mary 2 among the top-10 best spas in the world for “Best Spa on a Cruise Ship”￾ category in its seventh-annual SpaFinder Readers’ Choice Awards.
More at http://www.ftnnews.com/content/view/7360/30/

Deborah Kogan

Jan 29, 2003
I was on the QM2 for her Labor Day weekend cruise to Saint John, New Brunswick. It was my third time on her. I don't find the ship "close"; perhaps some might find the Commodore Club to be shaped oddly, with the windows angled. Despite some tacky design, there are some really beautiful areas, including the outside of the planetarium, the season panels with Deco designs, and the Britannia dining room. Although I miss the QE2, I run onto the QM2 and greet her like an old friend. The ship is large enough to be stable in transatlantic travel, but cozy enough to make you feel at home. I hope to return, soon!

Joe Russo

Apr 10, 2006
Deborah, I was also on that Labor Day cruise to New Brunswick. It was my second time sailing on QM2, and I felt as you did. Very welcoming and familiar. I think that the ship definitely has a "soul" unlike other cruise ships I've been on. It will be interesting to see how she endears to passengers the way that QE2 did. I hope to return soon as well.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
From China Daily:

Cruise liner makes first call at Shanghai Port
quote:

SHANGHAI: The luxury ocean liner Queen Mary 2 arrived at the Port of Shanghai Monday afternoon, making its first port call in China since its maiden voyage in 2004.

The world's reputed cruise carrying about 2,500 passengers and 1,200 crew arrived at the port at 1:30 p.m., and would stay for about 10 hours before leaving for Nagasaki, Japan.
More at http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2010-02/16/content_9471243.htm

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
From CruiseIndustryNews:

2/19/10 - Cunard Welcomes Filmmakers on 29 April Queen Mary 2 Crossing
quote:

In association with Cunard's partnership with the Tribeca Film Festival, which included the sponsorship of the 2009 World Documentary Feature competition and recognition as the 2009 Official Cruise Line of the Tribeca Film Festival, the iconic ocean liner company welcomes acclaimed documentary filmmakers Dori Berinstein and Judd Ehrlich on the 29 April Transatlantic Crossing from New York to Southampton aboard Queen Mary 2. With this upcoming sailing, Berinstein and Ehrlich join a distinguished list of luminaries and tastemakers that have sailed this legendary voyage with Cunard, operator of The Most Famous Ocean Liners in the World.
More at http://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/3695-21910-cunard-welcomes-filmmakers-on-29-april-queen-mary-2-crossing.html

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
From BYM:

Australia. Customs and Border Protection processes over 3,500 people on Queen Mary 2
quote:

More than 3,500 passengers and crew aboard the Queen Mary 2 were processed en route to Australia yesterday.

Customs and Border Protection Chief Executive Officer, Michael Carmody, said he welcomed the opportunity to work more closely with the cruise industry through the National Sea Passengers Facilitation Committee which was established in 2009.
More at http://www.bymnews.com/news/newsDetails.php?id=66322

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
From Cruise Critic:

Queen Mary 2 To Circumnavigate Australia in 2012
quote:

The biggest ship ever to cruise Australia is about to spend a lot more time Down Under. Cunard Line has announced today that Queen Mary 2, its flagship, will circumnavigate Australia in 2012, spending 28 nights in Australian waters as part of its world cruise.
More at http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=3739

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
From CruiseIndustryNews:

3/26/10 - Cunard Welcomes Archbishop Desmond Tutu aboard Queen Mary 2
quote:

The Most Reverend Archbishop Emeritus Desmond Tutu arrived in Cape Town, South Africa today after enjoying a segment of Cunard Line’s 2010 World Voyage onboard the legendary Queen Mary 2. Upon the flagship’s arrival - her maiden call to Cape Town.
More at http://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/3828-32610-cunard-welcomes-archbishop-desmond-tutu-aboard-queen-mary-2.html

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina

Joe Russo

Apr 10, 2006
Some stranded in Europe because of the volcano are sailing home on QM2
quote:

With flights grounded across northern Europe for a fifth day because of lingering ash in the skies from the Icelandic volcano, some stranded travelers are turning to a luxurious alternative: hopping on the Queen Mary 2 for a weeklong cruise from England to New York City.
More from the Los Angeles Times:
http://travel.latimes.com/daily-deal-blog/index.php/some-stranded-in-eur-6783/

Oct 1, 2009
Cunard has barely avoided a major PR disaster.
While they were busy boasting about their 1000-strong waitlist, they were denying credits/refunds to passengers stranded and not able to make the sailing due to airport closures....(even when Cunard president Peter Shanks was on a national news program claiming the Cunard was "working carefully with those not able to make it")and selling these cabins again at full brochure rate to those waitlisted.
Angry internet posts and a flood of call/emails to their offices protesting this practise of double-dipping finally convinced them of the looming PR disaster, and they are now offering credits to those not able to make the sailing.

In a time of an international transportation crisis, it does not look good for a company to be seen to be taking advantage of the situation by self-promoting and profiting off their unfortunate stranded would-be passengers.