Archive through November 4 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
Remember those comic books called Classics Illustrated?

Comic books?? Batman and Superman were comic books, Bob; Classics Illustrated were works of art!

May 27, 2007
Remember those comic books called Classics Illustrated?
I remember something like that from when I was a kid. Anything to get us Nintendo playing kids to read good literature. Ivanhoe was a real clunker. I liked reading about Knights and feats of arms too as a kid but that book put me asleep til I found a Comic Book version of it. It wasn't til later on that I was able to appreciate the Classics. After I got into Thackeray's Vanity Fair I knew I could get into and read anything. Nineteenth literature certainly was structured to where the Author communicated with the reader more. Dear reader this and dear reader that. More Communication but very tedious to the modern reader.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
You're right, Mark. Works of art indeed. It's just as well they stopped publication, though, or we might today be seeing Classics Illustrated versions of Valley of the Dolls or The Da Vinci Code. Hang on, best delete this post before any publisher sees it and gets ideas. On the other hand, a comic strip - sorry - work of art version of ANTR might sit well on our shelves.

Ben Lemmon

Oct 9, 2009
I might be showing my youth here, but I am not familiar with Classics Illustrated. I do remember, however, Great Illustrated Classics. I never read one of those, but they were quite popular when I went to Elementary School.

So do you think I should use really lengthy titles for my story, Instead of Chapter 9, I could name it "The evening of the same day. Dinner on the Titanic and a visit from a person Jimmy hates, who he subsequently injures in a way only a man can really be injured, and Jimmy's feelings on what he did" How does that sound?

Pictures are what makes books good. Perhaps I should include some pictures if my book gets published. That would help with the visualization.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Ben, as I've advised before, first write the book. Then find a publisher. That's the point where the sort of questions that you're asking here will need to be considered, and like as not the publisher will have their own policies on such matters.

Dec 29, 2006
Witney
The historical accuracy of Classics Illustrated varied enormously. For example, in Zola's The Downfall - which is about the Franco Prussian War - the French soldiers were portrayed fairly accurately, but the Germans were depicted in World War I uniforms. Even worse was a story by Fenimore Cooper (I think it was The Red Rover) in which 18th century British naval officers were shown wearing red coats!

Status
Not open for further replies.