Archive through October 15 2008

Jan 21, 2003
Hey everyone. I'm working on a report of the merge of white star and cunard but i'm not having much luck finding who founded cunard. Also any problems that caused financial problems which forced cunard to merge with white star.. any information would greatly be appreciated.

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
Hello, Chris---

Sir Samuel Cunard was the founder of Cunard.

The causes of the financial difficulties which forced Cunard into the White Star merger were the dramatic reductions in U.S. immigration limitations after World War I and the worldwide economic depression that followed 1929. The same problems, plus the financial instability of the Royal Mail Group, also affected White Star.

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
Hello, Christopher---

Try http://ntrg.grsao.com

I looked there, but didn't find anything about the merger. Can you provide a more specific link?

But try titanic-titanic.com as that will have some good ones

Glad to see you've changed your opinion about T-T.

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
Oh, I see now...you have to register for the message board in order to see the information about the merger, since there's no content on the main site. I've just done that, and now see the message in the "White Star" topic from "paul church," entitled "White Star Line How it Ended." Are you aware that that message is copied word-for-word from this page of Mark Nichol's web site?

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
Are you aware that that message is copied word-for-word from this
page of Mark Nichol's web site?

Mr. Marshall---

Seeing as how (a) you haven't answered this question and (b) you yourself have today posted to that message board the ET biography of Chief Engineer Bell, the Titanic Heroes' site's biography of Moody, and the Wikipedia biographies of Wilde, Lightoller and Murdoch, all verbatim and without attribution, I take it that that's SOP for your "research group?"

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
From BYM:

USA. Cunard Line Partners with The Royal Astronomical Society
quote:

Cunard Line is proud to announce a new partnership with The Royal Astronomical Society (RAS) onboard its trio of famed luxury ocean liners, Queen Mary 2, Queen Victoria and QE2. Poised to become a highlight of Cunard Insights, the Line's award winning enrichment programme, the RAS partnership begins this summer with RAS Fellows joining 15 voyages on such popular itineraries as Queen Mary 2's Transatlantic Crossings and Caribbean voyages and Queen Victoria's Mediterranean sailings.
More at http://www.bymnews.com/news/newsDetails.php?id=28757

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
From Earthtimes.org:

Cunard Line Presents the National Symphony Orchestra 2008-2009 Red Series
quote:

NSO Musicians to Sail aboard Queen Mary 2's September 8, 2009 Transatlantic Crossing SOUTHAMPTON, England, July 10

SOUTHAMPTON, England, July 10 /PRNewswire/ -- Cunard Line is proud to
announce a new partnership with the National Symphony Orchestra (NSO), an
artistic affiliate of Washington, D.C.'s famed Kennedy Center. A highlight of
the new alliance is the organization's upcoming debut aboard Queen Mary 2 as
featured guests of the acclaimed Cunard Insights programme.
For the rest, see
http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/cunard-line-presents-etc.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
From Interest Alert:

Cunard Line Announces 2010 World Cruises
quote:

SOUTHAMPTON, England, Sept. 4 /PRNewswire/ -- Cunard's two modern luxury liners, Queen Mary 2 and Queen Victoria, will depart in January 2010 on their World Cruises, continuing the line's rich tradition of offering the most spectacular and historic World Cruises on The Most Famous Ocean Liners in the World.
Story at http://interestalert.com/story/09040000aaa063ee.prn/siteia/TRAVELER/travel.html

Joe Russo

Apr 10, 2006
Just noticing something here looking at the website for the new 2010 voyages... the two 2010 QM2 transatlantic crossings between NYC and Southampton take 7 days (4/12 and 4/22/10). These are listed as segments to a world cruise, but are still sold as individual crossings. One is listed as from Ft. Lauderdale, but if you look at the itinerary the actual north Atlantic crossing takes seven days. QM2's crossings until 2010 are all 6 days.
Could they be slowing her down in 2010 to save fuel?

http://www.cunard.com/Destinations/default.asp?Region=7

Joe Russo

Apr 10, 2006
Michael what do you make of that? Will slowing down a ship her size really make a difference in fuel consumption? I guess we will have to wait for the entire 2010 schedule to see if this is just a fluke.

Personally I would have loved another day when I did a transatlantic crossing on her. Does add to the price though.

Russell Smith

Jun 18, 2009
I wouldn't make a deal about a 1 day difference. Enjoy it, unless they make you pay for it.
happy.gif

Current position of RMS Queen Mary 2:
Under way from New York to Southampton
2620 Passengers

Departure was 23 hrs 48 min ago. (at 17:00 h local time)

Arrival will be in 4 d 8 hrs 12 min. (at 06:00 h local time)

Traveled distance since New York: 579.06 nm (1,072.43 km)

Remaining distance to Southampton: 2,533.52 nm (4,692.08 km)

Course: 62°

Numbers for contacting the RMS Queen Mary 2 via satellite:
Phone: +870-323576210
Fax: +870-323576211

Bridge Cam:
080508.jpg

proud.gif

Joe Russo

Apr 10, 2006
I'm not making a deal out of the day itself, I am curious if Cunard is changing the speed of the standard 6 day crossing.

Russell Smith

Jun 18, 2009
It would make sense to reduce speed a bit to save fuel consumption.

The diesel engines burn approximately 3 tonnes per hour each (4 diesel engines)

The gas turbines burn approximately 6 tonnes per hour each ( 2 gas turbines)

Joe Russo

Apr 10, 2006
I know the airlines are doing it now and are slowing the planes to add I believe an average of about 10 minutes to each flight which is supposed to save a great deal of money. Apparently just slowing a little bit saves a lot.
This is what sparked my curiosity when I saw that all of the new crossings have added an extra day to get across the Atlantic.

On a side note, I believe that the QM's final voyage to Long Beach was a slow one and only the two inside props were used to conserve fuel.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Michael what do you make of that? Will slowing down a ship her size really make a difference in fuel consumption?<<

Yes it can, but it can be a bit of a balancing act. A ship will tend to be optimized for a certain speed after which you get to the point of deminishing returns in terms of efficiecy. If you're only running on two engines, you're not going to use as much fuel as you would with all of them. On the other hand, if you go faster, you run into the problem of water resistance where the energy it takes to get to a certain speed increases geometrically. Eventually, you'll get to that point where the resistance of the water is so great that even with double the horsepower, you'll only get an extra knot of speed.

Of course, if you double the horsepower being used, the fuel consumption rises dramatically.