Archive through October 28 2001

C

Cátia Lamy

Hi Pedro and everyone else!!

About "Raise the Titanic", the movie was pretty good I believe but all that story about that thing they were looking for (don't remember the name sorry!)... Gosh!!! I was almost losing my mind before the movie get my attention... when the Titanic "story" begun!!
I believe that any enthusiastic or fan of the REAL Titanic dreams about bringing the ship to the surface and set sail to New York to finally finish the voyage that she never did it.
But on the other hand (not the mention the impossibility of this event!!) it would bring many memories to the few survivers still alive or even to those who have some relationship with Titanic. And the saddest would be to make millions out of such tragedy! (Don't get me wrong, I love Titanic books, k7s, videotapes and even those models and such but people - AS I WOULD - would want to get into the ship and see it and those kind of things!)

About the movie... A bit too much about that metal or mineral or whatever it was instead of Titanic. As Pedro, I loved the soundtrack!

Bye!!
Cátia Lamy

Bill Willard

Mar 24, 2001
In Raise the Titanic, Dirk Pitt's job was to recover a highly radioactive substance called byzantium, which was believed to be in the hold of the ship. Byzantium was needed to power a special defense net for the US called the Sicillian Defense, created by the character played by David Selby (Dark Shadows and Falcon Crest). But, "Thank God for Southby", the element wasn't on Titanic as expected. And Sir Alec Guiness played a wonderful bit role of a surviving steward.

I still remember in 1979, as one of six people in the theater, watching on a big screen as the bow revealed itself on the surface. I know it's a model, and I know it's not going to happen, but in 1979 it was wonderful. I went to see it three times at the theater.

Bill Willard

Apr 11, 2001
It was wonderful- and the John Barry soundtrack is available on CD-he also wrote the Somewhere in Time Theme and many other scores for movies. There is a wonderful book called The Liners by Terry Coleman- it was my first introduction to big ships back in 1977- and it has a haunting portrait of Titanic entering New York harbor all dressed out in her flags and the Statue of Liberty in the background- can't remember the name of the painting or the painter- but it is chilling and sad. Remember the scene in Ghostbuster's II when the Big T is at the pier? Not QUITE the same thing.

Bill Willard

Mar 24, 2001
To quote Cheech Marin (in Ghostbusters II)...
"better late than never"!!!

And, the Great Lady appeared in Time Bandits, and for you children of the 70's, a life preserver from Titanic made a brief appearance in the RHPS.

Bill

Dan Cherry

Mar 3, 2000
Shelley,
it sounds as if the Titanic in New York painting you're describing resembles an early Ken Marschall painting that he and Walter Lord corroborated on. I've seen that particular painting in KM's book "Art of Titanic".

Dan

C

Cátia Lamy

Hi Bill, Dan, Shelley and everyone else!

I've been looking trought my Ken Marshal Art of the Titanic and the picture that Dan talks about doesn't look to make much justice to what Shelley was talking about... That ghosty air is not really there on this Marshall picture or so I think!
Anyway, just had to say something eheheh!

Best wishes,
Cátia Lamy

May 5, 2001
Hello All,

RAISE THE TITANIC was really a terrific book and I think if the filmmakers had paid as much attention to detail as Clive Cussler did, it would've been a hell of a better movie.

Now, I am not really slamming this movie, even with what we all know about The big T now because back then I firmly believed that she was in one piece but once I found out she actually did break up on the surface, it took me years before I saw RTT again....but regardless that the condition of the ship is a factor in the realism of the story now, it's still a fun movie to watch....especially the raising scene.....and YES, the music is available on CD finally, as soon as I saw it in the music store, I spent my last bit of money to get it and it was worth it and reccomend it to anyone who liked the music more than the movie.

Sincerly,
Bill

Nov 25, 2011
Some of the scenes of the ship breaking the surface prove you don't need loads of digital effects to make it look good! I heard Ken Marshall was involved in the making of the model - so although some parts were incorrect becuase they needed to fit in with the full sized ship they also used, most of it is pretty damn good!

May 5, 2001
Some of the scenes of the ship breaking the surface prove you don't need loads of digital effects to make it look good! I heard Ken Marshall was involved in the making of the model - so although some parts were incorrect becuase they needed to fit in with the full sized ship they also used, most of it is pretty damn good!

Hi Ciaran, just so you know, the Titanic model in Raise the Titanic was only 75 feet long and the two masts on either side of the forward mast do not belong there but you are right about one thing, I think the scene where the ship comes up was worth the price of admission alone.

Regards,
Bill

Matthew Lips

Mar 8, 2001
Hi all.
Bill, the scene where the ship comes up is about the only thing in this turkey of a movie that was worth watching! Sorry, but I can understand why it bombed so badly at the box office.

Mind you, at least it gave rise to one of the legendary quotes in cinema history (from Lord Grade, I think). "Raise the Titanic? It would have been cheaper to lower the Atlantic."

That says it all. Which is a pity, because the book is pretty good, as are all the Dirk Pitt adventures (if you are prepared to suspend belief, at any rate.)

Cheers,
Matthew L.

Dave Hudson

Apr 15, 2011
For me, there were 3 scenes that completely redeemed the movie and made up for all the bad acting. The scene were She shot up out of the sea was spectacular, as was the GSC scene. However, both of those scenes were paled in comparison by Titanic's arrival in New York. Oh, if only the wreck was as we dreamt it would be. Oh well.

I have strange question and I don't mean to change the subject. I know that raising the Titanic is impossible, but what about her more intact sister? She is incredibly well preserved and is in one piece...more or less. Let me emphasize that I'm not asking if it will happen, I'm asking if it could. What would have to be done?

David

Dave Hudson

Apr 15, 2011
Sorry for sounding like I don't speak english, my keyboard is screwing up and seems to omit entire words!

David

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Hi David...with a lot of work and tons of money, it's theoretically conceivable that the job could be done.

Barely.

At nearly 55,000 tons displacement, the Britannic was no lightweight, and there is the weight of all the water inside that would have to be overcome. Then there's the matter of signifigent structural damage done to the ship, first by the mine (Torpedo?) then the bow nearly breaking off once it hit bottom.

Assuming that all the needed equipment exists or could be developed quickly, then brought into one place, the question then becomes; How do you justify the expense? The hull's scrap value could never recoup the investment and there's nothing there that would appeal to treasure hunters. Nor is the wreck a hazard to navigation. If she was, it would be far more cost effective to use lots of explosives to demolish the hull.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

May 5, 2001
Mind you, at least it gave rise to one of the legendary quotes in cinema history (from Lord Grade, I think). "Raise the Titanic? It would have been cheaper to lower the Atlantic."

Evenin' Matthew, allow me to clear up a possible misconception here, I never said the movie was the "Gone with the wind" of Titanic movies (That goes to "ATNR" for the documentary style and "TITANIC"('97) for all area of film regarding The Big T and special FX ONLY!), I did say however, that if the movie was as good as the book, they would have had something there...I did say however that the Soundtrack kicked major Ars!

'So we sent a man in...."
"Well lets hope you get him out because if the Russians pick him up, we're gonna be kissing ass in the Kremlin for the next five years!"

Regards,
Bill

Nigel Bryant

Aug 1, 2010
Wellington, New Zealand
Yesterday I saw Raise the Titanic. The models were very good. The moment that got me was when Titanic finally reached New York. Another moment was when they raised the ship, seeing the prow shot out of the water.

Regards,

Nigel

Apr 11, 2001
Nigel- yes the models were excellent. Wonder if the T is still rusting away in that field in Malta? Must admit the soundtrack by Barry added much to that Big T rising sequence. The three versions of her arriving in New York I can remember are from Ghostbusters II (rather tasteless), the majestic one from Raise the Titanic, and a fabulous painting from Terry Coleman's book from 1977, The Liners-the Statue of Liberty is in the foreground. Wish I could remember who painted it.

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
Ken Marschall did a couple of versions of the Titanic arriving in New York, didn't he, Shelley? I seem to recall them from the book 'The Art of Ken Marschall'. At least one was done at a comparatively early date, and at the suggestion of none other than Walter Lord.