Archive through September 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Russo

I was on the QM2 this past weekend for a short voyage. I was lucky enough to be invited to a private tour of the bridge which was beyond amazing. During the tour, second officer Jeremy Saltonstall mentioned that he saw her make 34 knots once when she was going "downhill with the wind behind her." Does anyone know what he was talking about?
Regardless, that's pretty cool that she hit that speed.

>>Does anyone know what he was talking about?<<

Sounds to me like he was suggesting that the ship had some outside help in reaching that speed, such as going down a large wave and with the wind pushing them along. The part about the wave may be a bit tounge in cheek, but it's not unknown for weather and currents to give ships a bit of a boost if they happen to be going in the right direction.

Joe Russo

maybe the Gulf Stream? I noticed that the Blue Riband records for each respective ship are a knot or two higher on average on the eastbound crossing. "Downhill" or not, 34 knots is impressive.
I should have just asked him what the heck he was talking about ;)

Hi All,

This reminds me of when the Mauretania pulled 32 knots for an hour or so off the coast of Florida in July of 1933 with a bit of help from the Gulf Stream. I was aboard the QM2 this past July for a friends birthday party and was not all that impressed with the ship. The party, guests and food were truly excellent but the ship seems so very tight - especially the Commodore Club. Now I know why the publicity photographs of that room often use a fish-eye lens! The photographers covering the affair were actually shooting up from the floor! However, it was a grand time I'll not forget.

Best wishes,
Eric

>>maybe the Gulf Stream? <<

It's possible if the ship was transiting an area effected by the Gulf Stream at the time. Currents can be helpful if they happen to be pushing from behind.

I don't know quite what Eric means by tight? My wife and I had a 12 day cruise around the Med. on the QM2 in May and we both thought she was absolutely fabulous - the holiday of a lifetime. She carried a full complement of passengers and we thought there was loads of room. Three times around the deck equals 1.1 miles.

If we are into knit-picking we thought the upstairs seating of the Royal Theatre could have been better arranged. Too many seats obstructed by pillars and a bigger passageway to the seats needed.

Very addictive - we will be going again next Spring all being well.

Maybe Eric means it wasn't really open enough? Meaning the rooms are smaller then what he would prefer, and there isn't any flow from one area to the next?

Hi Rocky
happy.gif

Good to hear from you - been a while! Have you done any color tinting or other digital work? I'd like to see!
Yes, that is it. The QM2 was...tight in my humble opinion. The Todd English was one of the few places that was not claustrophobic to me. And the overall decor, in corridors especially, seemed like someone used a clone and stamp tool as in Photoshop. It was like a maze to my eye. After the party there were people from Cunard to give various tours, but I chose to wander around at my own pace. Jim Kalafus was spot on in his observations about some of the decor in the QM2 threads - often some weird mix of 1980's mall and Vegas glitz. And there were wonderful things as well, such as some of the artwork like a wonderful painting of the Mauretania and the Lusitania I found in a small stairwell near the Library I think. I did like the outdoor areas at the stern by the pools and bars outside the Todd English, but a lot seemed crammed. Some of it could be more...welcoming - some areas seemed clinical (I can't think of the word I want). I did see a good bit; my visitors badge allowed me to go where I wanted so I walked from stern to bow and back inside and out on decks upper and lower. Don't get me wrong - it was a fabulous party and day - the ship is beautiful and well crafted, just not my cup of tea. I did not take as many photographs as I imagined I would. Having said that, walking the decks of a Cunard ship was a wonderful experience. Would that it were the old Mauretania - smaller as she was it was said she had the ability to feel like an old friend. Some of the QM2 seemed like a hospital or mall or something - not quite comfortable to me.

Best wishes,
Eric

We are new to cruising, Eric, so for us it was an amazing experience. Our tastes are perhaps not so sophisticated. We did not dine in Todd English where there was an additional premium of $20 per head?; we were very happy to dine in the Britannia Restaurant with Cunard's excellent White Star silver service. One of the joys was sitting with different passengers at breakfast and lunch, learning of their experiences on different Cruise ships and generally chewing the cud.

With it being a bit rough across the Bay of Biscay - force 7 - I was pleased to have booked on Queen Mary 2 with its deeper draught and better capability to handle bad sea conditions. My wife is not a good sailor and I fear that had it been an unpleasant experience our days of cruising would have come to an abrupt end.

Status
Not open for further replies.