Status
Not open for further replies.

Encyclopedia Titanica

Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
Edward Kamuda is the president of the Titanic Historical Society. He remembers when he first was introduced to the story. My father who owned the grand theatre out in Indian Orchard played the film titanic. And from that point I was hooked Kamunda said. | wggb.com

Last edited by a moderator:

Encyclopedia Titanica

Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
THE centenary of the sinking of the Titanic on April 15 will have stirred many family memories, and not just in Belfast, where the ship was built, or Southampton, starting point of the Titanics maiden voyage to New York, which lost 500 members of the crew among the 1,500 who died. Beryl Browse, of Ripponden, has a poignant letter from America about her great aunt, Charlotte Ashdown Pearson, and her husband, Silas, originally from Kent but living in London at the time. They were emigrating to the United States in 1912 and might well have travelled on the Titanic but didnt because Charlotte thought the liner, the most sumptuously designed ship ever built, was for rich people, not them. Silas was already in the US, where he had gone to find work and a home for Charlotte and the couples six children, Silas, Nellie, Frank, Ivy, Florence and Stanley. When he called on them to join him Charlotte and son Silas went to buy tickets for the voyage. The ticket office tried to sell them tickets for the Titanic, but Charlotte refused them and instead bought berths on the USS Philadelphia, which took them safely to America in August 1912. | halifaxcourier.co.uk

Encyclopedia Titanica

Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
A SCOT walked off the Titanic just before it sailed after hearing a voice in his head warning him he would die if he stayed aboard, his grandson has revealed.Alex MacKenzie was at Southampton dock 100 years ago when he heard the voice warning him that if he was on the ill-fated vessel, he would never get off alive.The 24-year-old returned to Glasgow, only to hear of the ships sinking days later.Grandson Iain Henderson, 49, said: He travelled down to Southampton, and he was on the gangway when he heard this voice telling him not to board the ship. | dailyrecord.co.uk

Encyclopedia Titanica

Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
A SLANE man survived the sinking of the Titanic, simply because he was only one of four Irish First Class passengers. James Robert Mcgough was born in Mandistown, Slane in 1876, the son of Thomas Mcgough and Catherine (Dowdell) and with members of the family headed for the United States in 1894 and set up home in Philadelphia. He became a well paid buyer for Gimbel Brothers in Philadelphia and in April 1912 found himself on board the 'unsinkable' Titanic, heading home to the US. The Slane Historical Society researched the following details, namely that Mcgough said ignoring ship personnel saved his life. | drogheda-independent.ie

Daily Echo

Apr 25, 2012
Southampton, UK
Hi,

We just recently released an iPad App - Titanic: The Southampton Story. What will be of most interest are the original newspaper stories and pages from the local newspapers in Southampton at the time, reporting on the ship, the sinking and the aftermath.

There are also some first-hand accoutns from survivors about what happened to Captain Smith at the time - as reported in 1912.

If you're interested you can find it at Titanic - The Southampton Story for iPad on the iTunes App Store or get more info at www.titanic-southampton.co.uk/

Thanks. :)

Encyclopedia Titanica

Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
A medal presented to a Liverpool sailor who steered a ship to rescue passengers of the Titanic has sold for nearly 5,000 in London. A similar medal cast in silver was bought for nearly 8,000, which was 3,000 more than expected. Both medals were awarded to officers and crew of RMS Carpathia for their actions in rescuing over 700 survivors of the disaster. J.J. Kirkpatrick received a bronze medal for his part in guiding the ship. The Carpathia was sailing from New York to Europe when it received a distress call from the Titanic on 15 April 1912. It immediately changed direction, and travelled nearly 60 miles to the ship's location. Charles Miller Ltd, which held the auction, said it is thought 21-year-old J.J. Kirkpatrick was at the helm during the rescue effort. When the ship arrived, the Titanic had already sunk. | bbc.co.uk

Morningstar

May 2, 2012
Halifax, NS
Greetings all,

The memorial for the 100th Anniversary at Fairview Lawn Cemetery in Halifax, NS can be seen in its entirety on the CTV.ca website. Not sure if it was posted on another thread.
I also made my second video of the graves on this anniversary and have it on YouTube with my 95th anniversary video. I hope you like it.

Thelma

May 14, 2012
It was shortly after the turn of the century. They had just gotten married, affluent Hungarians from Budapest. He was a scientist, professor and director of University of Budapest. He had been invited, along with some other European scientists, by Woodrow Wilson of the United States, to visit some of the northeast cities of the U.S. What an honor and opportunity! “This will be our Honeymoon trip!”

So, they left on the train to England, Mr. & Mrs. Vilmos Misangy. But, the train arrived late, and the ship had already sailed! The new bride cried for four days–until they received word that the TITANIC had sunk! She dried her tears in an instant! Yes, it was 1912, and that famous new ‘unsinkable’ ship was making it’s maiden voyage to New York–through ice fields at night.

Did GOD delay the train that day along the way? How many others had also missed the boat that day? Now, a century later, records seem to indicate there were several thousand that had booked passage, and not sailed, for many, many different reasons.

In the midst of tragedy, when people were blaming GOD, GOD was sparing and saving thousands of people who, in turn, would affect thousands and thousands more in a myriad of wonderful ways. Only Heaven can record all those stories!

So, they went back to Budapest, and began their lives together, raised their children, and taught at the University. Then in 1945, the dark clouds of war made it mandatory that anyone of position or influence must leave Hungary. They fled at night in a university car, with their daughter & husband, and their two children. Their daughter, Edit, had married Lojos Goszleth, an architect and a musician–who sang for the Budapest Opera. (A number of churches still have his name engraved as designer.) Their baby was one year old–a boy, named after his father–Louis Julius Peter Paul Frank Goszleth Jr.

For the next five years they lived as refugees in Germany. They had lost everything. Lojos and Edit found jobs to survive, and the grandchildren were cared for by Vilmos and Margit. Sadly, Vilmos died in Germany; he never did make it to America.

Then, like a gift from Heaven, tickets for sailing to America on the General Langfit, came from a Catholic Priest in Illinois. Grandma came with the little family, and 6-yr-old Louie grew up in Detroit, where his Daddy found a job. They were ‘Displaced Persons’ again in a new land with new customs and new language. But, they were free, and had a chance to start over!

This story means everything to me, because I am married to Lou Goszleth–the only Goszleth we know of in the western hemisphere. I met this wonderful, kind, gifted boy over 40 years ago. One of the pleasures of Heaven will be seeing how GOD brought a farm girl from Iowa together with a Hungarian immigrant, U of M grad. teacher/preacher from Michigan. His family died young, so my family has become his. We have four wonderful daughters–married with seven grandchildren. And, Lou is the best Dad any kid would dream of having.

In 1990, Lou took us along for his first trip back to Hungary. It was the trip of a life-time! He found an aunt he did not know he had. (He had re-gained enough Hungarian language to understand her.) She told him about his family escaping without saying good by, and how they had suffered during those dark days. It was an awesome time for Lou.

Knowing this is the anniversary of the Titanic, I wanted to share this story in hopes of connecting with others who have Titanic stories. Who is thanking God for heavenly rescues that were going on in 1912, long before we were born? And, who is giving thanks for delays and obstacles in everyday plans? We are.

J Burdette

Dec 30, 2011
I am at the moment listening to the audiobook. It's very enjoyable, and TDOAC is quickly becoming a favorite of mine.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
I got a copy of the re-release a few days ago and I can tell you that it's worth your while to do so, if for no other reason then the updated appendices which take advantage of and present information which has come to light since it was first published. All else aside, if you don't have a copy of even the first edition, make a point of getting this one. A lot of books deal with the disaster but tend to give short shrift to the aftermath, and in particular, the dynamics behind the U.S. Senate invesigation.

This one pays attention to it in exquisite detail and is, as far as I'm concerned, a must have.

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario

Anna Simpson

Jun 29, 2012
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/offices-where-titanic-plans-were-drawn-could-be-a-hotel-14212959.html

So? What do you think?
My apologies if this link doesn't work, my computer is down and I am posting this off my mobile phone. Just Google "titanic drawing office hotel", it should be among the first results.

Jul 31, 2012
Unless I'm looking at the wrong part of the page, it seems that the article dates from 2009. If that's correct, then are there any newer developments/updates on this idea?

Anna Simpson

Jun 29, 2012
You are right, the article was dated 2009. I completely missed seeing it. I checked the Titanic Quarter Website and it seems that they plan to do a restoration of the building. Perhaps the hotel plan was held back for some reason.

Jan 25, 2009
If you are in London, we hope you will join us for my brand New Play Based on the 1912 TITANIC US Senate Hearings! Here's some more information and a link to a recent article in BroadwayWorld.com: New Play About the Titanic '41N 50W' Runs at St. James Studio Theatre, Oct 4 & 5 - Starring Tina Jones, Rupert Wickham and More

April 2012- the world waited to hear the fate of White Star Liner-TITANIC. Heroes were born out of misinformation, confusion and ignorance.
These are their actual words

41N 50W for four showcase performances onlyat the New St James Studio Theatre, London England part of its pre-opening season
Thursday 4th October & Friday 5th October 2012

41N 50W is the last reported position of the Titanic before she sank 15th April 1912 on her maiden voyage. 100 years later TITANIC continues to grip our imaginations. This powerful and engrossing new play adapted & written by Robert Neal Marshall is not a retelling of the familiar story but is based on over 1,100 pages of the live 1912 Senate Hearings which began only days after stunned survivors arrived in New York. In 41N 50W the magnitude of the disaster unfolds as the real life drama becomes apparent. The audience, like journalists and the public who attended these hearings, see the pieces of a puzzle come together as those involved desperately try to find out the truth, struggling to take action amidst misinformation and confusion.

“Very impressive. Robert Neal Marshall’s adaptation of the Senate Inquiry skillfully scaled 18 days of witness testimony and narratives from the 82 witnesses who were called, into a play that gives voice to tragedy and human nature.”￾
- Cunard Line Commodore Ronald W. Warwick & Kim Warwick

“Brilliantly written and performed....Personal stories told in the words of those who experienced them are so powerful and the anger and frustration of those people in the days after the tragedy made it fresh and real.”￾ - Nigel Franklin

Directed by Norma Atallah , this documentary style drama performed in a "Readers Theatre" format features five West End actors playing multiple survivors and witnesses under the questioning of Senator William Alden Smith. If you are unable to attend, it would be greatly appreciated if you could kindly forward this information onwards to those who may be interested! "Like" us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/41n50w

Performance & Ticket Booking Information
Thursday 4th October at 15.00**, and 20.00
Friday 5th October at 18.00 and 20.30
Tickets Prices: £10.00 - £20. 00

** School Matinee information available on request.

To Book Online:
41N 50W | St James Theatre

St. James Theatre, 12 Palace Street, London, SW1E 5JA
St James Theatre | The first newly built theatre complex in Central London for 30 years
Box Office: 0844 264 2140
For more information Visit:
http://www.41n50w.com/

41N 50W Flyer 10.jpg

Anna Simpson

Jun 29, 2012
Now they will have to restore the building!
Ceiling in famous Titanic drawing offices collapses

Status
Not open for further replies.