News Archived News Stories

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 14, 2005
Diving at Britannic's depth requires significant experience in deep water technical diving. I am not so sure that you could call any dive on her wreck 'recreational,' no matter what the reasons behind the dive.

Looks like you beat me to it! I agree with your assessment completely, and I am neither a recreational nor technical diver. :D
Probably a good thing shes at 400 ft. Otherwise every son of a jackle would be looting her like what happened to the Empress of Ireland. I've been diving for almost 50 years and in all that time and hundreds of dives I've been below 100 ft exactly once. And the only reason I went that deep on that dive was just to say I did. For me all the best diving is usually between 20 and 50 ft. I've always tried to stay at the 60-60 rule. 60 mins or less at 60 ft...no decompression. Thats using the US Navy dive tables which I've always used. The PADI and others use different tables now.

Scott Mills

Jul 10, 2008
Indianapolis, Indiana, United States
Which is more outside the realm of reality, Molony’s actual theory or a misinterpretation of it?

I think people are not happy with Senan's book on Mt Temple and his new fire theory; however, I am reluctant to completely dismiss both--with some serious caveats I won't bother with here.

Suffice it to say, I think Senan is a very smart man, and that he has contributed quite a bit of outstanding work when it comes to the history of Titanic.

So my answer to your question, and I may be in the minority, is that it is far more likely the interviewer/paper screwed up the article. For proof, I would just point you to the title of the article, specifically the reference to Titanic capsizing. There is absolutely no way, no matter what anyone thinks of Senan or his theory, that Senan Molony told the paper a fire caused Titanic to capsize.

Dec 31, 2019
Indiana
I think people are not happy with Senan's book on Mt Temple and his new fire theory; however, I am reluctant to completely dismiss both--with some serious caveats I won't bother with here.

Suffice it to say, I think Senan is a very smart man, and that he has contributed quite a bit of outstanding work when it comes to the history of Titanic.

So my answer to your question, and I may be in the minority, is that it is far more likely the interviewer/paper screwed up the article. For proof, I would just point you to the title of the article, specifically the reference to Titanic capsizing. There is absolutely no way, no matter what anyone thinks of Senan or his theory, that Senan Molony told the paper a fire caused Titanic to capsize.
I've read his book, I liked it.

Milos Grkovic

Aug 25, 2019
Serbia
Not surprising. Senan Molony doesn't believe that iceberg sank the Titanic instead of fire. That Titanic capsizing, I think it was caused by taking the burning coal from the starboard coal bunker to the boilers on Saturday, 13th April 1912.

J Sheehan

Aug 23, 2019
Cork, Ireland
James Bond actress Honor Blackman, who played Pussy Galore in Goldfinger, died today aged 94.

She also played a prominent role in the 1958 movie A Night to Remember.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.