Arctic Survivors

Status
Not open for further replies.

James Metzger

Dec 13, 2002
Does anyone know if any survivors lived to see the twentieth century or if any of them wrote memoirs about the disaster?

James M.

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
Yes, a few survivors did live to see the twentieth century. After the sinking of the Titanic, Mary Elizabeth Brown (who lost several members of her extended family, and who became the grandmother of the author of Women and Children Last) self-published a pamphlet "Fragmentary Reminiscences of The Loss of The Arctic" which contained accounts of the sinking gathered from those in the Brown family's circle of friends and acquaintances old enough to remember the disaster. Amongst these was Arctic survivor Charles C. Nott, who contributed a ten page letter. I also think that one or two others were interviewed in April/May 1912 in the course of "Looking Back At Other Disasters" articles.

May 27, 2007
quote:

Amongst these was Arctic survivor Charles C. Nott, who contributed a ten page letter.
I remember reading Women and Children Last in High School where it said that Mr. Nott particularly remembered the tragic fate of Grace Brown 1835-1854 in his letter to her kinfolk. W.A.C.L. was dedicated to her. Some reason that account stayed with me. Also the fate of Anna ??? who was a Slave\Stewardess on the boat and was last seen working the pumps. Part of me wants to re-read W.A.C.L. and part of me doesn't. I thought it was very depressing.

So much for chivalry. The passengers on Titanic had it a lot better then the passengers on the Arctic.
sad.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.