Are the tourist Dives to Titanic still happening

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 7, 2002
Its seems every other year a different company is heading the 'tourist dives' to Titanic, for a mere $35,000 per person per dive....

Are the dives for the public still happening?
What is the name of the current company heading the expeditions?
Im curious if any ET postees have ever gone down to the Titanic via the 'tourist dive' route.

What was it like? In the given time, how much of the wreck did you see? Could you pick and choose what you'd look at?

Thanks

Tarn Stephanos

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
If given the time and plenty of ROV's small enough to do the job, I'd want to check out as much of it as possible. However, I would tend to concentrate on the bow section. That was where the fatal damage was, and I'd like to have a crack at finding it...and if possible...do it from the inside.

Paul Lee

Aug 11, 2003
Didn't one of the IFREMER dives try to do that, using Robin in the cargo holds? They found them to contain silt and mud and couldn't examine the iceberg damage.

btw, I heard that the tourist dives to the wreck don't allow the use of ROVs, for whatever reason...

Best wishes

Paul

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Didn't one of the IFREMER dives try to do that, using Robin in the cargo holds? <<

I'm reasonably certain that every expedition which used ROV's to try and examine the interior attempted to do that. I understand the Cameron expedition tried...among other things...to get down the spiral stairway into the Fireman's passage. The problem was that the stairway proved nearly impossible to get down so they backed off. Then there's the problem of silt and debris which is in the way and I don't think that one's going to find an easy solution anytime soon.

Jan 7, 2002
ROvs were used on all the exploratory expeditions, but as for the 'tourist dives', Im sure its just a flyover...

I read a vague descriptiuion that suggested the 'tourist dives' consisted of a flyover of the bow, stern and debris field..

Im hoping one day to get out on an expedition in my lifetime (a big reason Im studying to become a marine archaeologist), but if that never happens, I will shell out the $ and pay to go down.
And I will eat a hearty meal of prunes, beans and figs right befor entering the submersible..

regards

Tarn Stephanos

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>And I will eat a hearty meal of prunes, beans and figs right befor entering the submersible.. <<

Phew!!!!! That should make you real popular!
lame.gif

Jan 7, 2002
Seriously, It would be fascinating to read a dive review by someone who paid $35,000 to dive on the wreck.
Was the experince worth it for them?
I have scoured the web, trying to find past customer reviews, but with no luck...
Very strange...

Tarn Stephanos

Jan 7, 2002
Thanks for that link Jeremy..
I found an email of the company that was hosting the dives back then..I emailed them with questions, but my emails was retured undeliverable.
Odd, its seems every time the 'tourist dives' take place, its hosted by a different company..
The word is next year there will be another dive, but as to what company is carrying out the dive, thats anyones guess..
regards

Tarn Stephanos

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
Hi Tarn.

The word is next year there will be another dive, but as to what company is carrying out the dive....
We could try to put together the "Stephanos-Sheil-Tiller-Stephenson-Hind" Partnership?
grin.gif

The only question would have to be "who puts up the 99.9995% of operating capital?
wink.gif

For me, I'd have to win the California Lottery's Lotto Superjackpot, first; otherwise I would need "half-a millisecond" before deciding to go on one of those dives.
smile.gif
grin.gif

M

Martha Fasoulas

Hello everyone!

I am curious if anyone has heard if they will be running a competition in conjunction with the dives scheduled for 05', to win a dive to the titanic?

$35K is well beyond most people's capabilities....it would be the closest opportunity for me to get down there!

Appreciate any information you may have
happy.gif

Thank you
Martha

Jan 7, 2002
Well, I have decided if by 2012 if I have not been a part of a Titanic expedition as an underwater archaeologist, then I will pay the $$ to go as a tourist...

I HAVE to see the wreck in person, in my lifetime.....
Just as some people have the unshakable desire and passion to climb Mt Everest or K2, a visit to Titanic is what dominates my dreams...
Im sure I can save the money by then...

regards

Tarn Stephanos

Jeremy Lee

Jun 12, 2003
Two years ago there was a lucky draw here by Citibank credit card users, and the second prize was a trip to the Titanic. So, too bad, I won't be the first Singaporean to visit the Titanic but I WILL one day.....

No chance because my parents do not have Citibank credit cards..... Aarrgghhh!!!

Jan 7, 2002
Wow....
A question to you all- Should the dives for the public be allowed to happen?

Critics suggest such dives have caused damaage to Titanic due to getting 'too close', and still others feel 'only the important people' should be able to visit the wreck.
Sure, historians and archaeologists should visit Titanic, but so should teachers, bankers, students,accountants, computer programers and anyone who holds the story of Titanic dear to thier heart.

I favor the dives, and hope there will be a day when everyone can vist the wreck in person.
It does seem to be the most dignified venue where one can pay respects to that tragedy that happened in 1912.

I just have to vist Titanic- THE thing I want to see is the gaping hole that looks into the alcove of the Reading and Writing Room.
For some reason, noone has peeked into that great hole on the boat deck...

regards

Tarn Stephanos

Jan 7, 2002
I found the site..
I chatted with a chap who dove twice and said it was the most amazing things he's ever done..
He spoke of the rapid deterioration of the boat deck....
The next dive is scheduled for 2005, and they have at least a dozen folks booked...

regards

Tarn Stephanos

http://www.deepoceanexpeditions.com

Status
Not open for further replies.