Are there any fellow Titanic buffs in the Atlanta Georgia area

• Thread starter Catherine Ehlers
  • Start date
C

Catherine Ehlers

I live in the south metro Atlanta area (Peachtree city, Fayette County) and wondered how many other Titanic buffs there are in the Atlanta area. I'd be interesting in corresponding with, talking to, or possibly even meeting Atlanta-area Titanic enthusiasts.

You can email me at x2328ns@hotmail.com.

Hope to hear from somebody out there!

Cathy Ehlers

C

Catherine Ehlers

It looks like you two are the closest to me. I was hoping there would be some fellow Titaniacs here in the Atlanta area.

Someone stated that the descendents of some member of the Titanic's crew live here in the Atlanta area. Which crew member was that? (No, I have no plans to contact them.)

BTW, Michael, I'd thought you were still a Navy person on active duty. Is there a Naval base anywhere near Pickens County?

Cathy

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Ahhhhh....no-o-o-o-o-o-o....no naval bases near Pickens county, although there is a small administrative activity right by Donaldson Center for reservists and support for the retired community. It deals with all of the branches and the National Gaurd and not just the Navy.

I retired back in July of 1999, and it was only in the witer that I had time for computers and forum participation of any kind. I found Encyclopedia Titanica in June of 2000 and I've been an active participant ever since.

I can't speak about decendants of crewmembers in the Atlanta area. Even if I knew of any, I'm not certain I would be free to discuss it. I wouldn't be surprised if a few are living there, but it doesn't stand to reason that they would know about it. You might be surprised at how many survivors never discussed the Titanic with their families and freinds, and a lot of families these days seem to have very little knowladge of who their ancestors were. I hope somebody can help you.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

May 9, 2001
Michael,

I haven't spoken with you in a while. But I thought you might like to know that I am now living in Charlotte, NC. I moved here from Dallas Texas in Late February.
Actually, I've been absent from this board for a few months trying to get myself settled in here. I understand you folks had a weekend convention in Columbia a little while ago. I must have just missed it. Still, nice to know I'm closer to the action. I'd love to attend next year.

Yuri Singleton

Tracy Smith

Apr 20, 2012
South Carolina USA
Yes, I'm from Anderson, SC. It's a quick trip of about two hours or so to get to Atlanta. I don't get to Atlanta all that much, but I do have friends in Athens, and I go there quite frequently.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Hi Yuri, it has been a while. I'm glad to see you're back.
happy.gif

The gathering was a lot of fun. Next time we can do it, I'll have to try to take some time to get there a little earlier so I can chat. I hope you can make it.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

May 9, 2001
Hi Michael,

Thanks for the welcome. I'm really looking forward to exploring the Eastern US now that I'm here. I've already visited Monticello, and the colonial villages of Virginia. Now I'm getting focused on seeing points of interest that involve Titanic. My first target is New York. Then maybe Halifax.

Of course, next spring is the huge Titanic convention in Belfast hosted by the Ulster Titanic Society. I'm going to try my best to attend that.

Michael, I've noticed you don't seem to post on as many topics as you did a few months ago. You must be busy working on something offline. I hope you're not losing interest. I really enjoyed your posts in the past. What ever happened to Capt. Erik Wood?
I need to read up on the past few months posts.

Keep in touch.
Yuri

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Captain Wood is still around. We've had a research project going on for awhile now. I'm afraid I'm not in a position to discuss the details as he is trying to hash out some theories for a book he wants to write.

I'm hardly losing interest. What I am losing however is a bit of energy. I work some pretty weird hours so when I get home, I don't always feel up to posting.

Besides, it's not always such a bad idea to just lurk. You never know what you might learn that way.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

W

WOODROW STEPHEN CRAWFORD

HELLO ALL,

I am from the Atlanta Ga area, but i currently reside in Flint Michigan. I still travel to and fro quite frequently. The only TIANIC related things i ever saw there was at the Fernbank Science Center in Decatur when that whole Titanica IMAX thing was going on back in 1996. Just a few plates and things. I do not think any survivors live in the area now, but i think that Jaques Futrelle lived in around the area while he was writing for The Atlanta Journal and Constitution around the time of the sinking. Not sure if he lived there, on a permamnent basis, he gave his residence as Massachusetts. I do know that he lived in the Augusta area for a while before the disaster.

Woods

C

Cynthia Inlow

It looks like it has been awhile since anyone has posted on this Atlanta part. I'm from Augusta (and I don't say that proudly) and have a renewed interest in Titanic after we visited the Orlando exhibit. I have a book coming out in Feb. (A Fine Shelter). It is not about Titanic but I advertise where I can. Anyway, I do think some type of Atlanta or Columbia(better for me) type Titanic group would be great. Anybody from around these parts can email me about it, just click on my name.

R

Regina Arlene Wilson

I'm originally from Atlanta, Georgia, tho now reside in Colchester UK. I moved here 11 years ago. I believe I am a descendant of Jacque Futrelle. I think my grandmother, Vera May Futrelle may have been his niece from the stories she told about it. Strangely, myself and my son have taken up an interest in writing poems and short stories and I'm just trying to trace the family tree of Jacque.

Thanx and hope someone can be of assistance.

Regi

Bill Willard

Mar 24, 2001
Seneca, SC here, about 90 minutes north of Spaghetti Junction, and neighbors of Michael and Tracy.

Nov 11, 2007
Just wondering if there are any Titanic enthusiasts out there in Atlanta, Georgia. I live in Marietta.

[Moderator's Note: This message, originally posted as a separate thread, has been moved to this pre-existing thread addressing the same subject. MAB]