Are there any Titanic buffs in the good ole Volunteer State

S

Scott R. Andrews

I don't live in TN (I'm about an hour NE of Atlanta) but have family in and around Nashville, so I travel up that way several times a year.

By the way, Kevin, are you familiar with the War Memorial Auditorium? Built as Chattanooga's municipal auditorium, it contains a large Austin pipe organ which was built for the purpose of providing weekly recitals in the days prior to regular radio broadcasts and the widespread availability both recorded music and live orchestral performances. The organ has currently been undergoing a major restoration after many years of neglect.

I mention this because there's actually a Titanic connection of sorts here. Edwin H. Lemare, the famous English-American organist was hired as the City's first Municipal Organist at the time the auditorium was completed, and was directly involved in the design of the instrument. Prior to settling in the States and becoming an American citizen, Lemare, who was always in great demand on both sides of the Atlantic, was a White Star customer almost exclusively and traveled with Captain Smith on quite a few occasions. His last trip with Smith was aboard the Adriatic out of Southampton, not long before Smith was given command of the Olympic. Since Lemare was a Liverpool resident, he normally traveled aboard one of the "Big Four" out of his home town; his last trip with Smith aboard the Adriatic seems to be one of his only departures from the WSL's southern port.

Regards,
Scott Andrews

Devika Patel

Aug 27, 2008
I live in the Tri-Cities area, but grew up in Manhattan, NYC. I've lived here nearly a decade, but I don't think that qualifies me as being a Tennessean. In fact, when I taught high school some years back, I was told by one of my students that I could live here forever, but would never stop being a "Yankee," lol!

Regardless, this "yankee" is a huge Titanic buff, and I look forward to learning more from all of you. I had no idea how much information was out there! Now I feel I have to play catch-up.