Are there any unpublished Titanic photos out there in private hands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 7, 2002
No doubt there some photos of Titanic sailing from Southampton buried at the bottom of chests in the attics of numerous British homes.Im certain of it. Every now and again an unpublished Titanic photo surfaces....Like that stunning stern shot of the ship pulling away from Southampton dock that recently popped up on Ebay. Then there was that stunning photo album with pre sinking photos of officers Blair,Boxhall and Lightoller Jeff Newman snagged off Ebay.(please publish that treasure!)
Does anyone know if there are collectors out there who have photos of Titanic,or her interior that have never been published? Im not trying to aquire them, Id just like to know there are more photos out there somewhere..

Also, does anyone know if there were certain newspapers that featured Titanic photos, which to this very day, have never been reprinted?

Im still hoping on my haunts of antique stores Ill find a shoebox filled to the rim with unpublished Titanic photos....

The greatest treasure trove of Titanic photos ever found was probrolly Alan Ruffman's aqusition of all those glass negatives.

Thanks and regards

Tarn Stephanos

Dec 7, 2000
Tarn,

I don't think I ever heard of the Alan Ruffman find .... please enlighten me!!!

I have heard of about over 200 or so photos of Titanic in existence (the majority are exterior), which is a pretty large amount considering that I don't think I'll count more than 100 Titanic photos from all books and newspapers put together. Many of these ARE in private collections and to my knowledge have not been published, don't worry I haven't seen them either, only heard about them.

Daniel.

D

Deleted member 173198

>>Also, does anyone know if there were certain newspapers that featured Titanic photos, which to this very day, have never been reprinted?

Yes Tarn there is!

The best selection which features quite a bit photos are well documented in the former Southampton Times, which finally closed down in 1920. The majority can be viewed on microfiche if you can arrange a booking at the Southampton Library Archives.

As for your other question dealing with more photos of Titanic in the hands of private collectors. I can assure you the answer is YES with a big capital Y. Unbeknown to a lot of people, there is still a large portion of photos over here in the United Kingdom which have never seen daylight for years. Most of what I have viewed deal mainly with Crew and some of the Passengers which rightfully belongs in the hands of the families concerned. Regrettably under the Privacy Laws of the United Kingdom, I am forbidden, to mention names altogether.

I hope this will now, broaden your horizons in a different perspective.

Best wishes

Andrew W.

Pat Cook

Apr 26, 2000
Guys, I ran across these on Ebay - I can't remember ever seeing them. 'Course, there's SO much I can't remember...

cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1071117655

Also:

cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1071119178

Anybody else?

Best regards,
Cook

Dec 7, 2000
good ole Pat! Hello, how are things going.

I don't think I have ever seen any of these photos anywhere, especially the one with the tug near the Titanic!

Thanx for the linx!

Daniel
happy.gif

Jan 7, 2002
My goodness, those photos have never been published in any book since 1912! Im impressed!

Regards

Tarn Stephanos

Dan Cherry

Dec 14, 1999
Hey, Cook,
I've seen a good number of non or seldom-published Titanic photos in my days, but these two I've never come across before. Interesting find.
With six days left in the auction as of this writing, I predict those pictures will go for about $1,000 apiece, at least...

Dan Cherry

Dec 14, 1999
Also, there's a couple of original Olympic pictures on eBay that appear to have come from private collections.

cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1071116432

cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1071116892

Happy bidding...

Regards,
Dan

Pat Cook

Apr 26, 2000
Thank goodness! I kept waiting for someone to chime in, "Cook, you moron, that's on the cover of Lawrence Beesley's book!"

I don't know if those'll for for a thou but they're sure going to be out of MY league, that's for sure.

Best regards,
Cook

Jan 7, 2002
A stunning unpublished stern shot of Titanic pulling awat from Southampton dock sold a few months ago on Ebay - anyone remember what it sold for?
I wont be able to afford these photos, but im putting scans of the photos in my scrap album...
Wish i could figure out to make them bigger than thumnbnail size though...
Regards

Tarn Stephanos

Mike Herbold

Dec 13, 1999
Strange that these have not shown up before. George, do you have anything like these in your postcard collection?

Pat Cook

Apr 26, 2000
Thanks, Bill. Facts be known, while I wished I could've been there as well, the surprise party my wife set up for me here, along with many dear family members and friends, was literally a once in a lifetime thrill for me.

Next time!

Best regards, O M
Cook

Dan Cherry

Dec 14, 1999
Tarn,
if memory serves me right, that stern shot of Titanic leaving her berth at Southampton went for a cool $4,000 US.

Dan

Jan 7, 2002
Hi everyone..

I posted on this board that I had no plans to bid on those two rare Titanic phots on Ebay, but changed my mind and figured what the hell, and placed a bid. Steve Santini, who has a Canadian titanic museum was the first bidder, and totally livid I bid on those photos he wants, and emailed me a very angry email..

Well, even though Ebay is open to everyone, I say let Steve had a shot at these..he has a Titanic museum collection, and if he gets the photos, they will be on public display, and we can all view them. If a private collector buys them, we might never see them again...

So my **apologies** Steve for bidding on those photos you want, but be wary of those sniping bidders. I hope you win, and be rest assured im not the monster you painted me being in your email.

Good luck with your bid and with your titanic museum

Tarn Setphanos

Steve Santini

Nov 22, 2000
Tarn,
Unlike you have now done, I discussed the pictures and your bids on same in a personal e mail I sent to you. I am now aware that you have seen fit to bring this matter to a public forum. While I do appreciate your current position on this matter, (i.e. that it would be nice for the photos to go to a "public" exhibit such as ours), I in no way painted you as "a monster" in any forum, be it either private or public. By the tone of this latest posting, a person not privy to my e mail to you could assume that I was merely upset that you had even bid on the pictures in the first place. We both know that this is not the case at all and that is not what I took issue with. I am fully aware Ebay is open to everyone, and, as I said to you in my first e mail , "it is a free world". At this point, I will continue to remain a gentleman and will not air any history between us in a public forum as it only serves to confuse the readers of this group. I would appreciate it Tarn if in the future you are going to tell a "story" to the public which involves A)myself, or B) my alleged actions, you kindly tell the complete and entire story. Not just the edited bits. Thank you for your kind wishes that we should be lucky enough to win the auction. Given all of the current hype about these pics, I doubt we will. Regards, Steve Santini/ Titanic Concepts Inc.

Jan 7, 2002
Steve
Despite your dislike of me and my ethics, as crisply detailed in your correspondance, I do wish you win this unpublished Titanic photo auction, as I do know your interest in preserving the memory of the Titanic is a sincere one.

I offered an apology to you on this board as you seemed livid I bid on those photos after having posted here that I would not do so. Well, even the apology has offended you.

Clearly we are two incompatible minds, who cannot come together in friendship.

I have no desire to form enemies, so the next option is to simply not communicate.

I wish you well in your endeavours, but you have my word, I will not discuss you or your dealings an any forum, or correspond with you ever again.
Good luck and godspeed

Regards

Tarn Stephanos

ps- be wary of those sniping Ebayers..Ive lost many an auction to snipers

Reagards

tarn stephanos

Jan 7, 2002
I overreacted

My thread with Steve should be private.

My apologies to Steve, and my apologies to ET.

regards

Tarn Stephanos

ps- I do hope Steve and I can be friends- nothing like a fellow Titaynic buff for a friend

8)

Status
Not open for further replies.