Are these photographs from Titanic or Olympic

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Christine Geyer

Hello all !!

I have just found a swedish Titanic-site which contains several photos of Titanic (?) that I've never seen before. I assume they must be Olympic, but I would like to know more about them.

http://www.algonet.se/~stefan_d/titanic/tbot29.jpg
is said to be from 1st class restaurant

http://www.algonet.se/~stefan_d/titanic/tbot31.jpg
shall as well be 1st class restaurant. Because of the staircase in the background I don't think that this is really there but I've even never seen those paintings around the stairs

http://www.algonet.se/~stefan_d/titanic/tbot30.jpg
is said to be a picture of "one of the different 1st class restaurants"

http://www.algonet.se/~stefan_d/titanic/tbot10.jpg
is said to be one of the 1st class suites. I don't think I have seen that one before.

http://www.algonet.se/~stefan_d/titanic/tbot11.jpg
from the smoking room I haven't seen from that particular view either

http://www.algonet.se/~stefan_d/titanic/tbot66.jpg
is said to be from the 2nd class reading room ?

Do you know those pictures and where they come from ???

Many regards
Christine

Pat Cook

Apr 26, 2000
Hi Christine,

Like you, there are several photos here I have never seen before either. However, the last two - the Smoking Room and the 2nd Class Reading Room (Library) are genuinely from the Titanic; I got a copy of that very Library photo from the Ulster Maritime Museum and the Smoking Room (would you believe?) is my screen-saver.

Hope this is of some help.

Best regards,
Cook

C

Christine Geyer

Hi Pat,

a smoking-room-screen-saver to feel like you sink in one of those armchairs, hearing the fire crackling in the fireplace and inhaling the smoke from Mr. Guggenheims cigar, instead of simply coming back to your computer !? Then you know what you're talking about
happy.gif
I don't think I have seen a picture of the second-class reading room ever. The smoking room looked familiar to me but I hadn't known that special picture from that direction.

Thanks & regards
Christine

Dan Cherry

Dec 14, 1999
Christine,
'bot10' is a suite on the Olympic
'bot11' is the Olympic's smoking room. The painting over the fireplace is "The Approach to the New World" showing New York Harbor. Titanic's painting was "Plymouth Harbor". This picture, though published in several Titanic books and was actually the first photo I had ever seen of this room, is unusually because it is uncropped. Everywhere where it is published, it is heavily cropped. This picture is seen in Ballard's "The Discovery of the Titanic" and (cropped) in Eaton and Haas' book "T&T."
'bot66' is the Olympic's second class library
The rest are definitely NOT from any of the Olympic-class liners.

Regards,
Dan

Jan 5, 2001
I think the others, or the high dining room, are from the 1912 France, which sailed 'maidenly' on April 20th 1912 and was scrapped in 1934, if I remember right.

Sam Brannigan

Dec 20, 2000
I wonder about bot30. Although I realise the glass ceiling may discount it, the palms and the wicker chairs are oddly similar to the surviving picture of the Cafe Parisien. Is there a chance that this could be an annex of the A La Carte restaurant or the Palm Court on A Deck?

As for the ceiling, a lot of people get confused about why they can't see the glass dome over the Grand Staircase on models of the ship. Is there a chance that Harland and Wolff's fitters used similar effects in other areas of the ship?

Regards

Sam

Dan Cherry

Dec 14, 1999
Sam,
bot30 doesn't match the style or layout of the Olympic or Titanic. The ceiling does appear to be a beveled skylight. The 'Titanic and her Sisters' book does show the reception room between the a la carte and Cafe Parisian on the Olympic after the 1913 refit. The area between the reception and a la carte was widened and was photographed. Titanic's Parisian Cafe and Olympic's were different. The ceilings had different layout of rafters and Olympic had partitions which survive to this day (see the TahS book for color plates of these partitions).

Hope this helps.

Dan

Pat Cook

Apr 26, 2000
Yoicks! Dan is correct! Didn't look that closely at the painting in the Smoking Room. Nice catch, sir.

Best regards,
Cook

Pat Cook

Apr 26, 2000
Yeesh, I MUST stop posting first thing in the morning before I've had my usual 17 cups of coffee.

The Reading Room (bot66) is also from the Olympic, not the Titanic.

That's all for me now - I grovel in mortification.

Best regards,
Cook

Dan Cherry

Dec 14, 1999
Cook,
when did you reduce your caffiene intake to 17 cups?! Those are dangerous levels, sir...
Yowch, most of my colleagues can't even crawl out into the sunlight on less than 25.

Regards,
Dan C.

Pat Cook

Apr 26, 2000
Dan wrote: "most of my colleagues can't even crawl out into the sunlight on less than 25,"

Oh, I NEVER get in the sunlight! That would REALLY wake me up! Thank you for your kindnesses, tho'.

Best regards,
Cook

C

Christine Geyer

Pat... just a question... How about garlic and what exactly happens when you look into a mirror ???
proud.gif

Anybody got an idea about the "bot31"-picture ??

Many regards *whiledrinkingmy1stcup*
Christine

Pat Cook

Apr 26, 2000
Dear Christine,

Actually, I look a lot like that little yellow guy you have at the end of your first question. Put on a pair of goggles and some moss around the chin, and Voila! - that's me.

I DO apologize for my first two mis-answers, by the way. "bot31" is a mystery to me as well. I believe Mark mentioned something about the 1912 France; sounds about right to me.

Best regards,
Cook

C

Christine Geyer

Hehehe... so I can put aside the wooden-stake. But anyway you said the cups are filled with coffee, not blood... So I trust you (even though I find the moss-growth a little dubious)
happy.gif

About the mysterious picture: I have searched along for pictures of the France but unfortunately I didn't find too much about the interior. On

http://www.cabinclass.com/items/writingrm/pc2/pc10335.htm#top of page

there's a picture that they say is a photo of the 1st class dining room of the France, which doesn't look very much like the "bot31"-pic to me (???). Doesn't the staircase construction on the "bot31"-pic look exactly like the Titanics/Olympics ?? The forging at the balustrade ?? The swung of the stairs itself ???

some more regards
Christine

R

Rolf Vonk

Hello dear people,

I found this topic just today (thank you Christine), and though I'm very very busy, I have to give you some information.

The first picture "bot 29", is NOT the first class restaurant from a Olympic class liner, but it is the lounge of the German steamer KAISER WILHELM DER GROSSE from 1897.

As Mark said "bot 31" is indeed the first class diningroom of the French liner FRANCE from 1912. Some Titanic survivers went back to Europe on this ship and she used to be the most beautifull French liner before the famous Normandie era. Well, I've once seen a more clear picture of the staircase on that picture with all the French chefcooks in front of it. The enormous painting on the wall is a scene from the Versailles gardens (if I remember that correct).

Hope you can do something with this information!

Many regards,
Rolf

Status
Not open for further replies.