Are these photographs of the Titanic or Olympic

Harland Duzen

Jan 14, 2017
AMAZING! Congratulations adrian waring!

The first picture shows Titanic just minutes after 12:00 departing Berth 44 from Southampton docks April 10th 1912. In the background, you can see the SS Oceanic and SS New York berthed and tied up at Berth 38.

original (1)-1 2.jpg

The Second Photo was either taken seconds after the first photo or after the near miss when the SS New York was taken by tugs to Berth 37 judging by the outward bound ship disappearing in the photo (I can't be sure).

I would get them evaluated / watermarked, as they are very valuable (unless Paul Lee found copies of them in 1912 newspapers).

A

Aaron_2016

Great find. Looks like the gangway door on F-deck is open. (Correction E-deck). Wonder who's job it was to close it, and if they watched the incident with the SS New York from the open door.

Titanicsouthampton.PNG

Last edited by a moderator:

Kyle Naber

Oct 5, 2016
These are of the Titanic. A dead giveaway is the difference between the promenade decks. On Olympic, the deck is completely open, while on Titanic, half of it is closed off.

IMG_7079.JPG

Switch the names around on this photo, however. The creator of this was feeding into the nonsense switch theory. Titanic is on the top, Olympic on the bottom.

Mar 18, 2008
Germany
These are of the Titanic. A dead giveaway is the difference between the promenade decks. On Olympic, the deck is completely open, while on Titanic, half of it is closed off.

View attachment 3364

Switch the names around on this photo, however. The creator of this was feeding into the nonsense switch theory. Titanic is on the top, Olympic on the bottom.
Actually both images are Titanic. The top one was taken on April 10th 1912 when leaving Southampton, the bottom one from her launch on 31st May 1911 in Belfast.

Harland Duzen

Jan 14, 2017
Great find. Looks like the gangway door on F-deck is open. Wonder who's job it was to close it, and if they watched the incident with the SS New York from the open door.

View attachment 3363
the unlucky sailors at that door certainly did witness the near miss!
6766349453_8540349677_b.jpg

If I remember correctly, the door was used to unload dock crew as I quote from ''Titanic: Triumph & Tragedy'' (second edition):

''...as Titanic slows in her process down Southampton Water so unneeded crew may disembark aboard the tug Vulcan...

Actually both images are Titanic. The top one was taken on April 10th 1912 when leaving Southampton, the bottom one from her launch on 31st May 1911 in Belfast.
Conspiracy theorists never check their photos...

Kyle Naber

Oct 5, 2016
Sorry if my reply was confusing. Both of the photographs that Adrian showed us were of Titanic, but the picture I replied with has one of Titanic, and one of Olympic, but were falsely labeled.

adrian waring

Oct 31, 2005
I actually do not have them in hand just something I came across but wanted to confirm before I pursue further these are of special interest as my great great grandfather James Kirkham was a greaser on the ship and went down with it,the story goes he was supposed to move permanently with his pregnant wife to the USA but she refused to go with him fortunately for me otherwise I would not be here.I do recall my great great grandmother but was too young to really understand the connection.I do have the last recorded interview ever made with Millvina Dean just before she died.

Harland Duzen

Jan 14, 2017
I actually do not have them in hand just something I came across but wanted to confirm before I pursue further these are of special interest as my great great grandfather James Kirkham was a greaser on the ship and went down with it,the story goes he was supposed to move permanently with his pregnant wife to the USA but she refused to go with him fortunately for me otherwise I would not be here.I do recall my great great grandmother but was too young to really understand the connection.I do have the last recorded interview ever made with Millvina Dean just before she died.
I sorry to hear that adrian waring, but I glad not more descendants of yours were harmed in any way. While not normally discussed or mentioned much, the sinking of Titanic was a very destructive and violent event both for those involved but also the families and friends on both sides of the Atlantic, if not the world.

adrian waring

Oct 31, 2005
These came up for auction in the UK it just ended I was after them myself but someone wanted them more than I did as they sold for around $8000 with commission figured in.