Armchair Voyager Places to Go

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 29, 2000
Thought it might be nice to see some good places to visit in your state and country while we travel either virtually or in reality this winter. For Great Lakes boats and the Edmund Fitzgerald beat feet to the Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum at
http://www.shipwreckmuseum.com/
Got any hotspots near you?

Dec 31, 2000
Wow Shelley!
Nice site! I am not on the outer banks, unfortunatley, but Cape Hattras is beautiful.
I will see if I can conger up a website. They did have to move the lighthouse to a more secure location due to her age and all the flooding we had from Floyd...she really needed to be preserved.
I will research this a bit and see what I can find for ya!

Cheers!

Beverly

Aug 29, 2000
Halifax has so much to see connected with the Titanic disaster that you will need about three days to really get a good look around. After visiting the three cemeteries head over to the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic where the folks are extremely friendly. There used to be a nice example of Titanic's woodwork there and currently a super Titanic exhibit. Click on EXHIBIT button to see more about it. Halifax is a beautiful city- immaculate and charming. While there eat some of the famous DONAIR barbecued shaved beef on a bun and learn about the currency "loonies". The King Crab Inn used to be a good place to stay near Bedford Basin and Dutch Apple Hwy. Take the ferry in season(Scotia Prince overnighter crossing the Bay of Fundi) from Portsmouth NH to Yarmouth and drive along the coast about 5 hours to Halifax through Peggy's Cove. Gorgeous.
http://maritime.museum.gov.ns.ca

G

Gavin Murphy

Shelly, I think you mean the ferry from Portland Maine (or Bar Harbor Maine) and not Portsmouth, NH. BTW, while on that drive along the south shore of NS, stop in at Lunenburg and see the home of the famous Bluenose saltbanker. The Fisheries Museum of the Atlantic is and it is cracking place if interested in the old racing and working schooners. Incidentally, we now have a $2 coin and we call it a toonie.

G

G

Gavin Murphy

Shelley,

I must eat humble pie for spelling your name wrong. I hate doing that. Must of been in haste to tell you all about the toonies.

Regards,

G

Aug 29, 2000
Gavin- yes- I was so excited about the shopping outlets in Portsmouth (near Kittery) NH that I was dazzled momentarily. YES the Scotia Prince leaves for 11 fun-filled hours from Portland Maine to Yarmouth. Actually there are LOTS of faboo antique shops and the Isle Of Shoals to visit off Portsmouth NH. Celia Thaxter's famous lighthouse on Star Island, and her garden( operated by Yale University)-all accessible from June- Sept. by boat tours. Also the very FAMOUS Smutty Nose Murder site on one of the islands- not quite as good as Lizzie Borden- and earlier on -but hot stuff!

G

Gavin Murphy

Shelley, I know Portsmouth, NH well. Or should I say that have fond memories of it. I spent part of my honeymoon there! No kidding.

Gavin

Steve Santini

Nov 22, 2000
Dear Shelley,
Enjoy the web page while it is there because the museum is no longer. My name is Steve Santini and I am the person who collected all of the objects which were in the museum. I was also the museum's curator. You may have heard my name re: my new book "Titanic:Touchstones of a Tragedy" which has come under discussion many times on this board. The Manitoba museum opened about two and a half years ago and operated up until this past Sept. when we closed the doors due to pathetic attendance and basically being ignored by local City council officials as the only serious tourist
attraction in the whole area. I am amazed that it has taken all of this time for serious Titanic buffs to find us. We had the web page, I was on numerous National T.V. shows both about the museums'opening and before it, and others certainly did know we existed i.e. The MMA in Halifax, Ship of Dreams, etc. But then again, why on earth would they bother to send anyone our way... Some time back a friend of ours even set up a table promoting the museum at a TI convention held in Montreal. The result, no one really cared or showed any notice at all. Go figure. Oh well, I guess the MMA is all anyone cares to hear about or know about even though our collection was more extensive and far more diverse. In closing, let me tell you it was a very sad day when we closed the museum down in late Sept. The "dark days" are not yet over as we are still moving displays out of the property. Please say a silent prayer for a great Titanic educational and historical facility which has gone the way of the ship herself...
P.S. The website will soon be down so enjoy the images while they last. Regards, Steve Santini

Aug 29, 2000
Steve-this is terrible news! What happened to all the great stuff? I was so thrilled to find it by accident. Did you ever hear of John Whitman's Titanic Museum in a cornfield out in the midwest? (Ohio I think it was)-Same sort of thing- only he suffered from illness on top of having a fairly obscure location- he was building a whole town 1912 vintage. Once he came to a TI convention- a really friendly guy. Well, the photos at the website are superb- the one of Mr. Wilde especially- am just SICK to hear about the closing. Sorry not to have gotten to Montreal- had to work at the last minute and cancelled-missed meeting lots of people. Next time I'll quit my job!

Steve Santini

Nov 22, 2000
Update on MMT
Shelley,
I do not think anyone is as sick at heart over this as I am right now but thank you for your sentiments. Some of the artifacts went to Chrisites in New York for the Maritime sale they had in Dec. As luck would have it, very few of them sold so we still have the core of a super collection. Maureen was suggesting I get in touch with Gavin Murphy and maybe we could put together a permanent Titanic exhibit on site at the old Hays hotel in Montreal. I am game for this. To spend over 20 years researching and collecting Titanic and then have the objects sit and gather dust where no one could see them is almost a bigger shame than the closing of the museum. Time will tell if they will once again "surface" (pardon the pun) for public consumption. Also, some of the artifacts went a combination store/mini museum operated by a man named Tony Probst in Sonoma, California. But, as I said, the core of the collection is still intact and lying in wait here within Canada. Regards, Steve Santini

George Behe

Dec 11, 1999
Steve,

If there's anything I can do to help, please let me know.

Take care, my friend.

Sincerely,

George

Sep 20, 2000
Steve:

So very sorry to hear this -- it's quite tragic. I knew you were associated with a museum, but didn't realize that this link and your site were one and the same, nor that the doors were forever closing.

It's a great shame and a great loss. My best to you, and my sincere hopes that the future may bring you brighter days.

Best wishes,
John Feeney

Steve Santini

Nov 22, 2000
Thank you all for your kind words over the closure of the Manitoba Museum of the Titanic.
All my kindest regards, Steve Santini.

Aug 29, 2000
My bag is packed for Canada tonight. Let's head to Kingston to Marine Museum of the Great Lakes. Aw.. I know what you're thinking- paddlewheelers! Well, sure but check out that research button! What a library and archives on ALL Canadian Shipping! Links to Lloyds, shipping lists, great pix and resources galore- surf city!
http://www.marmus.ca/

Aug 29, 2000
749 killer links- tons of Titanic. Am packing a steamer trunk, moving in the fridge and leaving the family for a week- ANYTHING you could imagine is here- steamship china collectors, old ships, museums, new ships, cruise lines, naval and merchant marine- I am delerious. Have a ball- this will take a MONTH to surf!
http://mail.bcpl.lib.md.us/~kolsen/cmain2.html

Aug 29, 2000
Submarine Capital of the Nation- Groton, Connecticut! We've been thinking Nemo and Nautilus on another thread today. This is a virtual tour of a great museum and historic sub. The first thing encountered at the entry is a wonderful Jules Verne quote and large model of the Nautilus- 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea , a first edition in French- is framed under glass in the wardroom. Well worth a trip anytime- am 15 minutes away and visit often. It is a real timewarp inside the sub- the 50's pin-up girls are still in place!
http://www.ussnautilus.org

K

Karen Sweigart

I was there for my honeymoon. We toured the sub. I think I would have died of claustrophobia if I would have been on that sub for any length of time. As my husband and were walking through I was thinking of the movies where they show guys running through a submarine. I could barely walk through it trying to step over the hatch doorways! Karen

Aug 29, 2000
Maryland Science Center- Titanic exhibit. Click on exhibits from menu, scroll all the way down to the little box that says Exhibits for rent, click, then scroll to bottom to find Titanic!
Baltimore is my hometown too as well as Walter Lord's. Check out the Inner Harbour while there.
http://www.mdsci.org

Status
Not open for further replies.