Artefact inventory

• Thread starter Rose Hill (401)
  • Start date

R

Rose Hill (401)

Has RMS Titanic inc ever produced an accurate inventory of all the items recovered from the wrecksite? If not, why not? It seems to me that a lot of people are concerned that items from the wreck have gone missing or been sold. If it was well known what had been brought up this concern wold probably not exist.

The company's failure to produce an inventory is worrying and makes you wonder whether even they know what they have brought up.

T

Tracey McIntire

You bring up a very good point. Supposedly not only were they keeping an inventory of artifacts, but they were also mapping the items' locations on the ocean bottom before removing them. I have yet to see an inventory or a map. If they were selling artifacts to private collectors (who are not likely to try to resell the items) there is really no way of knowing. I think the company should address these concerns...

Mike Herbold

Dec 13, 1999
While looking through "The Titanic Commutator", volume 14, number 3, Fall 1990, I noticed "A Partial List of the Artifacts Retrieved from the Titanic in 1987."

332 items are listed, everything from Gillette Razor Blades to cups, saucers, spoons, buttons, wallets, jewelry, and coins. Item 332 itself, which is pictured in color on the cover, and which looks much like the one shown being retrieved in the beginning of the Cameron movie, is a Strong safe with closing features marked "Fire Resisting Safe. Thomas Ferry & Son Ltd. Boston".

Another interesting item (#269) is 'Typed and handwritten letters of George Thorne-Rosenshine (includes a Thomas Cook and Son itinerary, T.S. Zoraster & Co. receipt, etc.)'. ET regular Daniel might be able to elaborate on this.

Perhaps later "Commutator" editions also have inventories. The list is fascinating reading.

Dec 12, 1999
I saw in the film "Titanica" that Captain Smith's cone-shaped loudspeaker was laying on the bottom of the ocean, alongside other wreckage. What a find! Does anyone know if this been brought to the surface?

Dec 12, 1999
I'm sorry, the word I was trying to think of was Captain Smith's "megaphone." Additionally, does anyone know if items have been recovered from within the ship's hull, in addition to the debris field?

Mike Herbold

Dec 13, 1999
Hi Joe:
Item 100 on the list is: "A megaphone" (made of aluminum, ship's supply). The parentheses were added by Ken Marschall.
Don't know if that's the same megaphone on "Titanica" or not. The list doesn't clarify where things were found.
Regards,
Mike

Mike Herbold

Dec 13, 1999
Joe:
While re-reading "The Sinking of the Titanic" that you got me interested in, I came across on page 79 the following:
"About 2 o'clock Captain Smith, who had been standing upon the bridge with a megaphone to his mouth, again went to the wireless cabin."
Mike

V

Vickie Lewis (Auzziern)

I went to Titanic The Exhibition in Memphis in 1997. They did have a megaphone they recovered from the site. It was made of aluminum and states it may be the one that Captian Smith used.

T

Tracey McIntire

RMS Titanic Inc. is only selling pieces of coal that were recovered from the ocean bottom. The coal spilled out of the bunkers when Titanic split in half. You can get this at any of the artifact exhibits or perhaps from their web site. The company has promised to never sell anything else they recover, but with the recent replacement of president George Tulloch, I would not be surprised if that changes.

Dec 12, 1999
Tracey -

What happened to George Tulloch? Why would his replacement make a difference? Do you know how RMS Titanic maintains funding for itself if it only sells bits of coal, etc.? Just curious.

T

Tracey McIntire

Joe--
George Tulloch was basically fired by the stockholders of RMS Titanic Inc. because he wasn't "profit-oriented" enough. He was opposed to going inside the wreck for salvage and most of the objects he retrieved were from the debris field. The man who replaced him says he is planning to cut open Titanic's hull to retrieve more objects. I am opposed to the defacing of the wreck and I am afraid this will lead to a full-scale plundering of Titanic and perhaps the selling of retrieved artifacts to private dealers. RMS Titanic Inc. currently makes its money from the admissions to the artifact display (which travels around the US) and the sale of related items such as teeshirts, books, and videos. Hope this answers your question.

Mar 13, 2000
Ms or Mrs Mclintire I am in full agreement with you that The Titanic shouldnt be cut open to get more artifacts and sell them to private dealers. I think its disgusting and sickening that someone wanted to do more damage to the Titanic then there already is. It is my hope that the person in charge of RMS Titanic,Inc would reconsider his position of cutting the ship and destroy what is left of the ship and rob the survivors and the people of the world of seeing the wonderful artifacts that are recovered when they are preserved thanks jennifer

T

Tracey McIntire

Jennifer--
Maybe we should all write letters to RMS Titanic Inc. and ask them not to violate the wreck. I know that the issue is in court right now as a local judge here in Virginia has already passed a ruling saying that RMS Titanic Inc. has sole salvage rights. Several countries (US,Canada, France, and I think England) are supposed to draft a treaty asking the company not to salvage the wreck. The judge has already stated he would overule this treaty--which I don't think is a good decision. Maybe it would make a difference if he thought the public was against it.

Dec 12, 1999
Tracey-
A better ploy is for "Titanica" to undertake a hostile takeover of RMS Titanic, Inc. Seriously. All of us could then elect the Board of Directors, take charge, and have the disaster site preserved as we see fit. Isn't it true that RMS Titanic shares are publicly traded? Do you know where it's listed, and what the current price is. The stock market has started to really take a dive so there may be some bargain RMS shares out there. Imagine it, we could each own a piece of the Titanic, and yet preserve the site, all in one. It would be foolish for the RMS Titanic Board to underestimate us. We of "Titanica" write books, maintain websites, engage in intellectual discourse, have an established communication network, loyalty to a cause, lots of money, schoolchildren, teachers, shipping buffs, Hollywood, nearly 2,200 ghosts, and a righteous cause on our side. That's a lot of power. All RMS has is the discovery channel, and a few sponsors. There may be some tough decisions to face up to. For example, we may need to sell of some artifacts to pay for the hostile takeover. However, in the end, the site would be preserved, and that would be best, overall. Let me know if you are aware of what exchange the stock is listed on. Thanks, Tracey.

T

Tracey McIntire

Hi Joe--
As I know absolutely nothing about the stock market, I couldn't tell you anything about RMS Titanic stock. I think your idea is a good one but this company makes millions a year so I don't know if all the Titanic buffs (numerous though we are) could afford a take-over. Perhaps James Cameron would donate some of his millions to help. There is nothing I would like more than to put a stop to this company's desecrating the wreck. If you find out anything about affordable stock, please post it. Thanks!

Dec 12, 1999
It's somewhat disquieting to learn that the Province of Nova Scotia, which maintains the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic (where many remaining Titanic artifacts are stored) may have to file for bankruptcy protection. In that event, it's possible that museum collections, etc., even possibly Titanic's, are at risk.

For example, when the City of Long Beach, California, hit hard times, it sold Howard Hughes' "Spruce Goose," and almost gave away the Queen Mary.

According to the Halifax Chronicle-Herald, the mayor of Nova Scotia, Jerry Hallee, says the province's $11 billion debt can't be maintained by its $500 million dollar annual budget. Hallee said "We need to stop the bleeding. We have to eliminate that debt . . . In a province with fewer than a million people . . . over $11,000 per citizen would be needed to eliminate it. That is a tremendous load for us to be carrying. The government of the day has to do something and it's not going to be popular no matter what they do."

This sounds pretty scary. Does the Maritime Museum have a lot of Titanic artifacts? Could the artifacts bring in a lot of money? Would some one like Hallee be motivated to sell them off? I hope not.

Dec 12, 1999
So far I've been able to determine that the Maritime Museum has 20 artifacts, including a Titanic deck chair and a chunk of the wood from a wall, or something. It has many photographs, and many records of the Marconi wireless transmissions on the night of the disaster. Without any doubt these items are priceless, and entertainment moguls would pay a lot from them. Suppose SFX Entertainment acquired them in connection with putting on some campy "Titanic on Ice" skate program? When Hallee says "the government of the day has to do something" I hope he has some sense of class about it.

D

Dr. John J. Gallagher

I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I am a musician and am aware of five grand pianos aboard the Titanic. I have no information regarding any upright or console pianos which might have been aboard.
I would like to write an article entitled "The Pianos of the Titanic", but I must first find out which compainies provided the pianos so I can research their records to find out serial number, date of production, type, etc.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks