Arthur Butcher

Margo Devlin

Aug 27, 2018
My father served on the Olympic as Navagating Officer 1919 - 1929. I have just found a letter he wrote on the Titanic. Lieutenant Arthur Frank Butcher.

Margo Devlin

Aug 27, 2018
Letter to Walter Lord
RE: A Night to Remember
March 29, 1956
"For over 9 years (1919 - 1928) I was a Navagating Officer in the White Star Line under the command of Commodore Sir Bertram Fox Hayes. During this time, I met and discussed very fully with many of the survivors of the Titanic , what really did happen.
Charlie Lightoller, I knew quite well- a most charming fellow and a very able officer - I met Stone on one occassion. It was a well known fact, and quoted by him to his friends, that Captain Lord, of the California was an insufferable S.O.B. After Stone had tried to get him to come up on the bridge, he turned to his apprentice and said,
"Well, let the bastard sleep."
(to be cont)

Margo Devlin

Aug 27, 2018
As for technical faults in ANTR
name plate on lifeboats was s.s not rms
I very much doubt there were 2 men in the crows nest, we never had more than 1 on the Olympic or Majestic.
I have always doubted the story of the band playing "Abide with Me," as the ship was about to go down. Every survivor that I met and questioned on this point, said they neither heard nor saw the band. True, the din of the escaping steam, would prevent many from hearing the music, but both Lightoller and Pitman, when we talked of the matter, just laughed, and told me that they heard or saw nothing of the band. I still think its a nice story."

Margo Devlin

Aug 27, 2018
I would like to find a photo of my father, Lieutenant A. F. Butcher, while serving on the Olympic & Majestic (I919 -1928.) Any suggestions as to where I might look?