Arthur Henry Rostron

Lil

Jun 25, 2010
Captian Rostron was born in Bolton Lancashire Astley Bridge is just a area in Bolton

William B.

Oct 29, 2010
It is stated that one of Capt. Rostron's awards was the Congressional Medal of Honor, however this is not true. President Taft presented him with the Congressional Gold Medal, not the Medal of Honor.

Ranchghost

Mar 6, 2011
RMS Queen Mary as she stands now in Long Beach, CA has two rooms that are connected to Captain Rostron's career. The Carpathia Room on B-Deck and the Mauretania Room on M-Deck formerly the Winter Garden Lounge. The stair case up forward on the QM leads from one room to the other both ships commanded by Captain Rostron.

Titty

Jan 15, 2011
I feel bad saying this, but they got his tombstone wrong. It says "saved 706 souls from SS Titanic". It should say "saved 706 souls from RMS Titanic" 

Archivist

Mar 26, 2012
Captain Rostron was born in Sharples Park, Astley Bridge, which at that time was a separate township to the north of Bolton.  For some of his boyhood he lived at 309 (now 711) Blackburn Road, Astley Bridge.His education included three schools: 1) St Paul's Church of England School, Astley Bridge; 2) Bolton Grammar School (now Bolton School) 1881-3; 3) Bolton Church Institute School (now Canon Slade School) from January to December 1884.He was 15 years and seven months old when he finished his education and it was after this that he began his cadet training.  In his book, "Home From The Sea", he tells of donning his cadet uniform, going to the Bolton railway station to board the train to Liverpool and being waved off by all his classmates. These boys and girls must have been the pupls he was with at the Bolton Church Institute.The Congressional Medal of Honor is awarded only to serving members of the United States armed forces.  President Taft gave Captain Rostron the Congressional Gold Medal, which is “awarded to an individual who performs an outstanding deed or act of service to the security, prosperity, and national interest of the United States”.

Nicole (1986)

Feb 4, 2014
He also had another family no one talks about. He had other children, a son. He abandoned him and his son's mother. I hope saving those people made him feel better about that decision.

Apr 25, 2014
Trying to find family connection between Arthur Rostron and my grandfather, George, born in Blackburn. He had 12 children who emigrated to US early 1900s and settled in New Bedford, Ma

Mike Norton

Nov 29, 2015
I've noticed that this profile of Sir Arthur Rostron claims that he was the Captain of the Mauretania until July 1928 but I own a "Continuous Certificate of Discharge" booklet of an electrician who worked on board the Berengaria from 1926-1931 and it shows definitive proof that Sir Arthur Rostron was the Captain of the Berengaria on July 31, 1926. (See photo)I've seen this error regarding when Captain Rostron took the helm of the Berengaria all over the Internet (including Wikipedia). My evidence clearly proves otherwise.

Katie Rostron

Jun 3, 2017
This is a wonderful biography. I am a direct relative of Sir Arthur Henry Rostron. He was my grandfather's (Henry Authur Rostron) great uncle. Thank you for sharing his story.