Arthur Rhys Davids

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
This is a bit post-Gilded Age (well...very much WWI era, actually, though he was a product of the preceding age), but Titanic researcher Alexandra Churchill (formerly Jemma Hyder) has been doing groundbreaking research on WWI Flying Ace Arthur Rhys Davids. Her work has made the front page of the prestigious First World War.Com site - have a look!

http://www.firstworldwar.com/

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
Smack up the side of your head, Molony, for thinking any such thing of our girl!

'Churchill' is a family name. Her reasons for using it aren't for a messageboard, but she's explained why privately for reasons that are perfectly sound to me.

She's been working in the WWI field for a while now, and has discovered a few rich veins of material - fascinating stuff.

Senan Molony

Jan 30, 2004
Dublin
Nothing to do with her Danishness, then?

Little mermaid, Jemma was.

[He is pelted with tomatoes for his sexist, if admiring, remark.]

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
quote:

He is pelted with tomatoes for his sexist, if admiring, remark.
Do you make any other kind about your female friends? It's all part of your charm!

Now go on...go read the article and admire our girl's research talents rather than just her other assets!

[Email in your inbox, btw - and no, that's not code!]

Senan Molony

Jan 30, 2004
Dublin
If I were Ms Hyder, I would transform myself into Dr Jekyllr.

But 'Alexandra Churchill' is good.

CNN Breaking News:

City of Hyderabad changes
its name to Churchillabad

Mayor says the WW1 article
irrelevant to Titanic, and is
thus 'disrespectful to Ismay'

By Our Correspondent
Jemmind if I call you Alex,
in Churchillabad.

FIFTY thousand angry demonstrators opposed to the publication of anything to do with World War One flying aces, or aviation generally, on a Titanic and maritime site last night marched etc etc

Senan Molony

Jan 30, 2004
Dublin
Winston Hyder held the line against that nasty Alex Churchler - never forget that, Bob.

"...Jemmany calling, Jemmany calling..."

And now the very people liberated in the desert campaign have the nerve to go Ice Cold on Alex!! And all over a girl having an innocent drink of Carlsberg...

(Sylvia Sims, she called herself in those days. I don't know who she is now.)

I tell you, Bob, it would almost beg a summoning back to arms of that stirring symbol of the doughty British Empire, and I speak, of course, of John F. Knowles.

If there's anyone can remember who all of us are, undoubtedly it is he.