Arthur Ryerson

Mike Herbold

Feb 13, 2001
Mr. Ryerson (whose coat Jack stole in the Cameron movie) has just a brief bio on ET. Is this the same Ryerson that was involved with Ryerson Steel, the steel supplier with branches all over the country today, or was that a different Ryerson?

Apr 26, 2005
Arthur Larned Ryerson was known to be one of the most prominent head of Philadelphia at the era. He was a steel magnate and builded his own firm, one of the most fruitful company of the United States. Although I do not know the exact name of his company, it is quite possible that it was 'Ryerson Steel'. Best regards,

Charles

D

David Huffaker (Davidh)

Arthur Ryerson was a part of the steel family but he was primarily a lawyer with his firm being centered in Chicago. (Anna Isham was the daughter of one of his partners.) The family spent time between Chicago and Pennsyvlvania with a vacation home in upstate New York. Most of the children were born in Illinois. There is a family cemetery in New York. There was a volume of Ryerson family history published approx. 1920 that lists who was born where and so forth and takes the family back a few generations. It is available for view on microfilm thorugh various libraries. If anyone is interested I can provide leads. A few years ago there was a two part article in the Commutator on the family, Victorine C. and Emily Bowen and the steward named Ryerson who survivied.

Mike Herbold

Feb 13, 2001
Charles and David: Thanks for the info. I've got a brother in the steel business and he was asking me if they were the same. David: I've got quite a few "Commutator" back issues. Do you have the issue number handy?
Thanks,
Mike

Delia Mahoney

Oct 10, 2003
I read his biography but I didn't find many info there. I hope someone know what was his occupation? And where was he last seen on the Titanic?
I suppose that Ryerson family were well known in Cooperstown where they lived.

All the best,

Delia

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
As His Biography puts his age at 61 years and doesn't list an occupation, I suspect he was retired. I'm sure somebody will come along in a bit who knows for sure. The holidays are winding down so I expect some of our passenger people will be returning to the board in due course.