Artifacts for Sale

• Thread starter Martha Fasoulas
  • Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Martha Fasoulas

Dear all,

This morning I read an article placed in our national newspaper in Australia, that many genuine Titanic artifacts are soon to go under the hammer in Newfoundland.

The items will include deck chairs to the more disturbing "lifejackets from Titanic victims" among other things.

I don't wish to open up another discussion on this touchy issue, hwoever I was hoping someone may be able to shed some more light on this information as not much was given in the article. If the sale is true, are these artifacts, previously held by RMSTI from salvage operations?

In all honesty, I am disgusted at the thought of victims lifejackets being paraded for sale. This reminds me of recent times where you could buy photos of victims on EBay.

And the purpose of this sale would be....?

I appreciate your assistance.

Kind regards
Martha

Steve Santini

Nov 22, 2000
Hi,

There is indeed a major sale of Titanic RELATED objects to be undertaken soon in NYC. Rest assured that none of the items for sale are, or were, salvaged from the ship by RMSTI.

Granted, there are a number of items from the ship but all were recovered following the sinking from the floating debris.

Regarding the "lifejacket", it is not in fact a complete jacket but is the cork filled partial panel BELIEVED to be from a Titanic vest because it matches the appearance and specifications of extant Titanic lifejackets.

As it was found in Canada (where many of the victims were landed) it could possibly be from the ship and also could possibly have been cut off a victim.

That being said, please try and remember you are reading a sensational news story and it is common knowledge that editors love to embelish content.

Obviously the purpose of this sale is to make money for the private individuals who have spent a good deal of thier own money acquiring these items which they now wish to pass onto some other fortunate custodians of history.

On a side note; I have been asked about this auction numerous times of late and I wish to set the record straight on a few points:

I am not personally offering anything for sale in this auction nor have I had any contact with the auction house who is putting it on.

Rather, this auction contains the collections of a number of private American collectors.

For those who may be interested, our core collection remains intact and on display in Orlando.

Regards, Steve Santini

M

Martha Fasoulas

Dear Steve,

Thank you very much for clarifying this information for everyone. I realised there would obviously be more to the "2-paragraph" story and am grateful for your reply.

While I understand that the cork from the lifejackets may or may not come from the bodies of victims, they are being promoted as such which is bound to cause controversy unless corrected by the auction house themselves.

If the items for sale are not related to RMSTI, how did all these private collectors get together to decide on selling these goods? I'd imagine this is probably something they had been working on for some time.

Thanks again Steve I look forward to hearing from you

Regards
Martha

Steve Santini

Nov 22, 2000
Hi Martha,
It is my understanding that a private Titanic collector named Gary Robinson was responsible for contacting other collectors and putting the bulk of this sale together. We were contacted but decided to keep our artifacts on display in Orlando where they have been for the past 3 years.
Best regards, Steve Santini

Status
Not open for further replies.