1. Welcome to Encyclopedia Titanica
    or subscribe for unlimited access to ET! You can also login with , or !
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners who may combine it with other information you’ve provided to them or they’ve collected from your use of their services. More information
    Dismiss Notice

Artifacts washed ashore

Discussion in 'The Artifacts' started by Jan C. Nielsen, Nov 21, 2000.

1. Years after the Lusitania disaster, one of its lifejackets washed ashore in New Jersey. Bottles with messages in them, washed ashore on the coast of Virginia from the Naronic, after it sank in 1893. However, I have never heard of any Titanic artifacts having been recovered from a shoreline. Has anyone heard that some items were washed ashore, anywhere?

2. Steve Santini's new book Titanic: Touchstones of a Tragedy, has a photo of a lifejacket, the caption reads "Pictured is a damaged panel from a cork-filled life jacket which was found in the Canadian Maritimes. The damaged vest matches specifications and appearance of the Fosbery life jackets worn by recovered victims from the Titanic."

So, taking the caption strickly at it's work, this MAY be a Titanic life jacket that washed ashore to one of the Canadian east coast provinces. No information was given as to when this was found.

3. Hi Bill,

Since you mention Santini's book, any idea what may have happened to the last pages? The Index starts on page 97; ends on page 102; but contains page references up to page 112.

Look up Straus and there should be something about them on page 110. There is no page 110.

4. Hello Boys, You may not have heard of the clipper "Royal Charter" she was on the Liverpool-Australia route in the 1850's and was wrecked off Moelfre, North Wales in 1859. She was carring hundreds of people returning from the goldfields of Australia when she was wrecked on the coast with the loss of several hundred lives. The Royal Charter was carrying a fortune in gold, both in her cargo and belonging to her passengers. So much of her interior was washed ashore that many of the local cottages were furnished with her fittings. As a boy, I lived during the summer months in Moelfre where we had our summer home. This cottage contained many items washed ashore during the wreck and the story goes that many poor cottagers suddenly became very comfortable indeed as a result of the tragedy. Not quite perhaps what this link is about but it brought back old memories!

Geoff

5. George Behe

George Behe Member

Geoff, your comment about "bringing back old memories" suggests that perhaps you were on hand in 1859 to pick up those pieces of the 'Royal Charter' as they washed up on the beach. :)

Take care, old chap.

All my best,

George

6. Gavin Murphy

Gavin Murphy Guest

G,

Wasn't he?????????

G

7. Mike Poirier

Mike Poirier Member

An FYI about Geoff. In 1873, he was part of the rescue efforts for the survivors of the Ville du Havre. As Mrs. Buckley related, he was the clever one who yelled, " We are English sailors coming to save you ".

8. Lester - you bring up a good point re: Santini's book - where ARE the missing pages mentioned in the index?

The index itself appears to be just fine, for the pages below 93. Look up Titanic Relief Fund in the index, it points you to 90, which does fit. It does not appear that the book's pages have been moved around.

There do appear many references in the index to pages 93 on up. My only guess can be that the publisher deleted at least one or more chapters before printing.

All of a sudden, I feel cheated!

9. Oh Yes - very funny you bunch! Actually, I was the chap who showed Noah where to leave his Ark!
    Just sent out my Christmas cards, you'd be best to open yours in a bucket of water Behe!

Geoff

10. Philip Hind

Philip Hind Staff Member

[hr]
    [hr]​
    I have no idea if it is true but there is the story of Jeremiah Burke's message in a bottle:

https://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/bio/p/3rd/burke_j.shtml

11. Pat Cook

Pat Cook Member

Geoff wrote: >Actually, I was the chap who showed Noah where to leave his Ark!

You probably remember me, then. I was the Giraffe gaffer. By the way, do you remember WHERE we put the Ark? I'm re-doing my rumpus room and need some old lumber.

Best regards,
    Cook

12. Hello Cook,
    I chopped it up - didn't think anyone would be interested! By the way young man, did you receive the reply to your email? I can receive 'em but I'm blowed if I can find out where my replies keep going. If not, let me know and I'll try again! As to the Ark, I told you it looked like rain that day didn't I?

Best regards

Geoff

13. Steve Santini

Steve Santini Member

Re: Steve Santini's new book "Titanic: Touchstones of a Tragedy" and artifacts "washed ashore" Greetings to all! My name is Steve Santini and this is my first posting in any form to this board. Regarding the mention in my new book "Titanic: Touchstones of a Tragedy" of a damaged panel from a life jacket which was found in the Canadian Maritimes, I meant in NO WAY to imply that this particular item was "washed ashore" nor can I imagine how any reader could deduce this from what I wrote. "Found" in the Canadian Maritimes refers to the fact that I found this object myself in the Canadian Maritimes when I lived there many years ago. As for other items "washed ashore", I often heard this story during the course of my Titanic resreach in Eastern Canada. ALL of the items I encountered which were claimed to have "washed ashore" from the wreck of Titanic were bogus and fake. The currents which exist off of the Eastern Canadian coast simply do not allow for any object as far out as the surface debris from Titanic to ever come ashore, at least in Canada. Ocean currents would carry such surface debris in an gradual South/ East direction. I hope this answers both what I meant by the quote "found in the Canadian Maritimes" as well as the earlier question as to wether or not any items from the Titanic ever "washed ashore". Regarding the index of my book "Titanic: Touchstones of a Tragedy", I must agree with the person who mentioned in a recent posting that it is somewhat out of whack. The firm who published the book, Writer's Club Press, accepts submissions only on an electronic publisher's template which they send and recieve by e mail to the author. Upon proofing the final manuscript, both my editor, as well as myself, had a book of over 120 pages. In this state, everything fit into the publisher's template and the index as published DID work properly. However, when Writer's Club Press fed THEIR OWN template into THEIR OWN computer, it somehow read the book wrong, and, in the final printing, the correct content was in the book, only on a fewer number of pages and also now housing a partially defective index which makes mention of page numbers which do now not exist. I apologize for any confusion this PUBLISHER ERROR may have caused anyone who bought my book but I wish for the Titanic community to know that this fault is not mine. For all who have bought and/ or read "Titanic: Touchstones of a Tragedy", I sincerely hope you have enjoyed the numerous images of rare Titanic related objects, many of which do not appear in any other Titanic book out there. Best wishes to all, Steve Santini.

14. Pat Cook

Pat Cook Member

Geoff said: > By the way young man, did you receive the reply to your email? I can receive 'em but I'm blowed if I can find out where my replies keep going. <

Ooh, young man! Will you get this post notarized so I can show it around? Actually, no I haven't received anything resembling your usual eclectic prose - other than the Joycean styles of one S. Molony. Try again. I await with baited breath.

Best regards,
    Cook

15. Geoff,
    If you still have any pre-flood picture postcards of the ark or ones that were posted at any of the ports of call, you could probably get any price you asked on eBay.

On a more serious note. I sent you an email regarding some information I found on Lusy. And no it didn;t wash ashore and this is proably not the place to post this, but wasn;t sure how to reach you.

And if Pat is young, then I am your new best friend!
    Maureen.

16. Steve Santini wrote:
    I
    apologize for any confusion this PUBLISHER ERROR may have caused anyone who bought my book.

Hi Steve,
    thanks for the update on what happened with your book. between this horror story and some of the others mentioned by other authors on this site, and elsewhere, it is becoming glaringly apparent how little control an author has over the final printed version of their own work. it must be maddening to put your heart & soul into a book, not to mention years of effort, only to have it screwed up in the last stages before publication.

on a brighter note, I am constantly in awe at this little thing called the internet which has enabled authors and readers to interact with each other on a level never dreamed of even 10 years ago. these are indeed exciting times.

all the best, Michael (TheManInBlack) T.

17. Dear Steve Santini.

I think it is grand that you would help us out in this. I have a close friend who livs in Denver and he has published about 6-7 books (not Titanic related) and his last one was published so out of whack by a new publisher he tried that the book was republished. But to me I guess as a friend, I simply enjoyed reading the meat of teh document.

So I am with you totally on the statement that as long as the contents didn;t get zapped, the book is great to me. Maybe like mis-printed stamps it will become one of those collector items that we will be bidding on over eBay in the future!

hey then I can say, I knew this guy when......

Thanks a lot Steve and enjoy your day. Hope you stay with us a spell and post some more!
    Maureen.

18. To Steve Santini:

Thanks for the clarification regarding the lifejacket. I now understand what you were trying to say, but "found in the Maritimes" can be taken two ways.

Thanks also for the clarification re: the index. What the published did appears to have really made a mess - as the part of the index for pages 92 and below seems to work just fine. The upper pages index just makes no sense at all!

I hope you did not take my statement "I feel cheated" to reflect on anything you did! What I saw, was obviously some kind of publisher screw-up, and not something the author would/could do.

Anyway - I did enjoy your book quite a bit! As you say, you had material in your book no one else had!

19. Tracy Smith

Tracy Smith Member

I'm looking forward to reading this book, too.

20. Steve Santini

Steve Santini Member

Thanks gang!
    I must admit, after I read the first responses to my new book with it's muffed up index, I felt quite depressed with how this publisher error could detract from the overall great feeling I had over doing the project in the first place. But now that I have had a chance to write to the interested parties and explain what happened, I can only say a hearty "THANK YOU" to all on this message board who have offered kind words and also expressed some degree of sympathy over what went wrong. This has really made me feel very welcome indeed to this message board and once again I really appreciate all the kind words. You are all a great bunch! Thank you, Steve Santini.